• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS A Team for the Upcoming Tournament.

As some may know, I accidently left my DS at my buddies house the other day. As it turns out... The sneak actually took it and traded me a BUNCH of his pokemon from Ruby and Diamond. I got it back today and had enough Level 100's to outfit an army. So here's a team I threw together.

Regice - Nickname: Absolute 0 (holding Nevermeltice)
Level 100
Nature: Sassy (lucky, I know, right?)
Moves
Lock-on
Zap Cannon
Ice Beam
Flash Cannon

Blaziken (Holding Razor Claw)
Level 100
Nature: Careful
Moves
Blaze Kick
Brick Break
Bulk Up
Night Slash

Leafeon (holding Miracle Seed)
Level 100
Nature: Timid
Moves
Leaf Blade
Synthesis
Iron Tail
Swords Dance

Weavile (Holding Shell Bell)
Level 100
Nature: Naive
Moves
Poison Jab
Dig
Aerial Ace
Night Slash

Bronzong (Holding Leftovers)
Level 100
Nature: Quirky
Moves
Protect
Toxic
Confuse Ray
Extrasensory

Staraptor (Holding Lax Incense)
Level 100
Nature: Naive
Moves
Aerial Ace
U-Turn
Close Combat
Roost

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Keep in mind that your team may not be viable for certain tournaments - the previous tournament was a Baby Cup tournament with unevolved, lv. 5 Pokemon only, and you team certainly wouldn't be viable to compete in that. Just a heads up.

Nonetheless, since your team is more than viable for normal battling here, I'll help you out:

Regice @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Calm/Bold (Sassy can work though with this)
Clear Body

- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt/Charge Beam
- Rest
- Thunder Wave

Regice is more a defensive type than offensive, but luckily you can turn Regice's awesome defense into a powerful offense with Charge Beam, since Regice will have quite a lot of freedom to set up as it wishes since it can take those hits well. Thunder Wave offsets Regice's poor Speed and allows you to outspeed pretty much everyone once they're paralyzed. Rest is there to heal you, since Regice lacks anything more reliable than that, and Ice Beam is for STAB. Note that running Ice Beam/Charge Beam can bring about an issue with PP, so unless you have some PP Up/PP Max items available for use, Thunderbolt is a safer option.

Blaziken could do with a better Nature, but oddly the Sp.Def boost it provides makes for an interesting combination with Bulk Up...although the Nature isn't really optimal for Blaziken. Also, Swords Dance would be preferable over Bulk Up on an all-physical set like yours due to the increased Attack boosts, since the Defense boosts probably won't help you all that much. Consider a Muscle Band for the hold item possibly, since the boost it provides is overall more reliable that the effect Razor Claw has, although either can work well here - take your pick.

Leafeon is OK, although X-Scissor would provide better coverage than Iron Tail due to Iron Tail hitting only two types for Super-Effective damage, one of which Grass hits Super-Effectively anyway, making it obsolete. Also, as far as Items go, Life Orb will probably come in handy more than Miracle Seed, since the 30% boost to all moves beats just 20% to Leaf Blade only, and Synthesis can recover Life Orb's recoil damage nicely.

Weavile could do with something more like this:

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Jolly (again, Naive works too here)

- Night Slash
- Ice Punch/Ice Shard
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance

Poison Jab isn't great since Poison is a terrible offensive type in general, and Dig is practially telling your opponent to send in a Flying-type or more likely a Levitator to come in and block your attack. Night Slash is fine, Ice Punch grants more power than Ice Shard, although Ice Shard has the added effect of always going first - take your pick. Brick Break is the most reliable move available to stop Steel-types, and Swords Dance + Focus Sash combined with Weavile's insane Speed gives you decent freedom to stat up and sweep as you see fit. An issue does arise with three of your Pokemon now using stat-boosting moves, although you can potentially mix and match to see if one of them can make do without.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Bold
Levitate

- Flash Cannon/Extrasensory
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Confuse Ray/Sleep Talk

This Bronzong will drive your opponent insane if it is allowed to use multiple Calm Minds. Luckily, with Sleep Talk, it can boost its stats whilst Resting too, just to add to the set's annoying nature. Flash Cannon is chosen for the attack since nothing is immune to it, although Extrasensory can work too if you're concerned about PP. Confuse Ray can be used over Sleep Talk if you want, although I personally like how well Sleep Talk works with this - take your pick.

Finally, a bog-standard set for Staraptor:

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly (Naive works too)
Intimidate

- Brave Bird
- Return
- Close Combat
- U-Turn

The fact that this set forces Staraptor to switch in and out a lot actually works somewhat in its favour, since it allows it to constantly hit the opponent with Intimidate. Brave Bird is Staraptor's strongest (good) move - the recoil damage is easily offset by the raw power the move provides. Return grants a slightly less powerful but less risky STAB move that also packs a nasty punch, Close Combat is for Rock and Steel-types, and U-turn + Choice Band is good for sneaky revenge kills, especially on enemy Psychic/Dark-types.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Consider Curse and Rest for Regice... a bit of a snorlax ripoff, but KoL claims that very little can beat it. Then boltbeam fits it very nicely for coverage. [I don't remember what set he had exactly, but he's sure to post it himself] EDIT Or he'll beat me to the punch and post before I can even initially post this.
I offered avalanche and Charge beam as alternatives since it will be tanking hits, and is sure to live long enough to profit from charge Beam's effect.

Regice @ Leftovers
Sassy
-Curse
-Rest
-Ice Beam / Avalanche
-Thunderbolt / Charge Beam

Blaziken could really use a better nature, and the pokemon being level 100 doesn't really mean much anymore since there's a battle mode that instantly jumps all pokemon to 100... Also, leaving your DS somewhere for a short time and finding numerous level 100 pokemon screams hack. I'd suggest rebreeding the Blaziken for a better nature, though it can still function alright with what it has.
Your set looks fine. it covers all types. Consider Flare Blitz for extra, but suicidal power in place of Blaze Kick, and also consider Sky Uppercut in place of brick break. Both of those attacks also have their downsides, mind.

Leafeon has a worse nature than Blaziken's, Timid actually lowers its attack power. Aside from that I really can't rate its moveset, as I've barely touched them. I do know yours doesn't get very good coverage though; Leaf Blade + Iron Tail doesn't hit much, I don't think.

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
-Night Slash
-Brick Break
-Quick Attack
-Swords Dance

Now that I've realized KoL has posted, I'll start going about things differently. Rebreeding is generally the best option for the pokemon, but this is what you can do with Weavile and not have to rebreed. If/once you have access to Platinum, I'd suggest replacing Quick Attack with Ice Punch for more power.

Staraptor @ Life Orb / Muscle Band
Naive
-Brave Bird
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack
-Endeavor

My personal moveset for 'raptor. Life Orb offers a really nice power boost, and racks up damage quickly with Brave Bird. Endeavor allows you to take advantage of recoil damage, and surprise an opponent that would try to wall you with high defense.

You can't compound two leftovers, so I'd suggest dropping either Bronzong or Regice, since they both make the best use of that item... and I'll leave KoL's moveset, I can't think of anything better at the moment. [that doesn't use leftovers]

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Absolute no to both Ice Beam and Avalanche on Weavile. Ice Beam runs of Weavile's awful Sp.Attack stat, so it won't do hardly any damage at all. Avalanche, while running off of Weavile's much higher Attack stat, forces Weavile to go last, which will almost certainly result in Weavile getting murdered. Putting defensive moves like Avalanche on offensive Pokemon like Weavile is never a good idea.

From what I've heard, I belive official tornaments don't allow legendaries. You might not be able to use Regice. You might want to consider what was going on between you and your cousin for him to give you his lv.100's. He may be planning to sabotage your tornament by giving you hacks.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Only uber legendaries are banned from use in tournaments. Since Regice isn't uber, it very rarely gets banned, if ever at all - I've not known a single tournament or community ban Regice from use in standard play. Odds are, it'll be unofficial, small tournaments that ban all legendaries from use, not official tournaments using mostly standard rules.