• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

A Reason to Battle

((OOC: Since Finn hasn't logged on in a while, Curtkid and I will start.))
"Alright, I hope you're ready." Mudskipper looked across the arena. "Go, Snorlax!"
She threw her pokeball and the fat pokemon appeared, waiting for its opponent.

(OOC: b/c we're in danger of losing the story due to inactivity... and Finn never technically said I was kicked off...)

"Hi there!"
Lance looked up, standing before him was a husky, yet tall boy. His jet black hair was combed neatly and parted down the middle. He was wearing a white suit, with purple pin stripes.
"I'm James, I have never seen you around."
The stupified look on Lances face, with the half hung open mouth was even more complimented with, "Oh, yeah I from not around here, or I am not here... I mean I am not..."
"You're not from around here." James finished. "You seem kind of nervous. Is this your first battle? Oh, I did not catch your name."
Lance pulled it together after realizing that "James" was talking to him, this wasn't some illusion or deluded dream. "No I am from Hoenn, My name is Lance. And this is definetely not my first battle."
Jame's face lit up. "You're from Hoenn? I have a pen pal named Winston who lives there..."
Oh boy... Winston's pen pal huh? Lance remembered the countless times he wailed on Winston for a couple of experience points. But before Lance could bring up the countless stories, the P.A. system blared overhead,"Trainers, please make your way to your arena."
"Oh, I got to go!" James hurriedly collected his things, "Nice to meet you Lance, and good luck."
"You too..."
Lance barely had spoken those two words and James was already running off down the corridor.

James arrived in the arena, and quickly positioned his self. His opponent was "Mudskipper". What kind of name was that? This should be an easy takeout...

Trainers, please send out your first pokemon!

James watched as Mudskipper sent out the Snorlax.
"Alright, this should work in my advantage" James murmured under his breath, "GO DUGTRIO!"

With a spin and a flick of the wrist, the Pokeball was thrown, and the Dugtrio was sprung from the ground.

The announcer called, "Fight!"

((OOC: um, yeah. let's go with that. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here, but I'm just gonna play along like I understand.))
BIC:
Dugtrio. Fair enough, at least Snorlax's not weak to it, Mudskipper thought. Um...let's see... She stared blankly at her opponent for a second. Oh, wait...got it.
She spoke quietly so her opponent's pokemon might be taken by surprise, yet just loud enough for her Snorlax to hear.
"Snorlax...Body Slam."
Every second seemed like an eternity as she crossed her fingers, hoping her Snorlax's bad accuracy wouldn't show itself in this match.
Finally, her Snorlax dropped itself on top of the Dugtrio with a huge noise. She waited to see if the Dugtrio could bounce back quickly, like it had never been hurt...

James gazed at the Snorlax again, making sure it was not going to do anything unexpected. The Snorlax did look asleep, but that was no reason to throw caution. He, for a quick moment looked at Dugtrio, an innocent glance, but when he looked back to Snorlax, it was not there.

"Where is it, where is it?" a shocked James mouthed. He looked up just in time to see the gargantuan Pokemon falling from the sky, with a direct aim on Dugtrio. Without thought James yelled, "Hurry Dugtrio, dig now!" Hopefully Dugtrio dug down in time.

Lance watched from the packed full competitors stands. This is going to be a very long battle. James is going to have to exploit Snorlax's weakness. At least he can bide his time by burrowing under ground. Lance stored the thought as he watched the combatants battle it out, eventually he would have to battle one of them...

(OCC: okey-dokey, by the way, are these one pokemon a round or more?)

As soon as Snorlax pulled its weight off of Dugrtio, it was evident that Snorlax's full body blow had been fatal. James stood there with a mortified expression, it had been five seconds, and already Dugtrio was down for the count.

"Dugtrio, come back." James returned Dugtrio to it's poke ball. James whispered to the red sphere, "I'm sorry, that was my fault."

The announcer, like the rest of the people in the stadium was a bit stunned at the speed Snorlax took out Dugtrio. Dugtrio is unable to battle, point to Mudskipper...

((OOC: from the way Belle and Finn were battling, I assume we battle 3-on-3, no switching out until the one already out faints.))
BIC:
Mudskipper stood there with a small smile on her face. She wasn't showing it, but she was as stunned as everyone else about how quickly Snorlax had taken down Dugtrio.
When did I teach him to do that? she thought.
She was actually a bit disappointed at how powerful Snorlax's Body Slam had been (or was...she wasn't sure which). She liked battles that had both pokemon hanging on by just a bit of strength, battles that gave her adrenaline.
Still, a point is up there for us. And the next round, let's see how it goes over.
As she waited for James to send out his next pokemon, she started making a strategy in her mind.
If Snorlax gets knocked out, which of my pokemon should battle next?...

I'm already down a point, I need to gain it back quickly... James pondered a moment, which pokemon should I send out?

Suddenly, in a whirling spin, and a flick of the wrist, a blue great ball was thrown, "Persain go!"

The lean, ivory colored cat emerged from the glow of the great ball, the eblem encrested on it's forehead glistening in the pure sunlight blazing down over the battle field.

"Fight!"

The announcer had just finished the "t" in fight and Persain was off. James had wasted no time, half out of breath from his spin he huffed "Persain, quick attack, and follow it up with a scratch attack! Stay clear of Snorlax's weight!"

The lanky cat moved with a stealthiness. Persain quickly pounced on to the big pokemon, claws outstretched. With a great swipe, the Persain laid a slash across Snorlax's face. Then in a blink of an eye, it was out of Snorlax's striking zone, safe for the moment.

Meanwhile Lance watched from the stands. Like everyone else, he had been shocked at how quickly Dugtrio was knocked out. But even more suprising was how quickly Persain was able to pounce and escape the from Snorlax. Wow that Persain is fast. James has his head in the game, now we have a battle...

We're going to have one heck of a battle, I can feel it, Mudskipper thought as Persain bounded out of Snorlax's attacking zone. That Persain is really fast, no way Snorlax could've gotten out of the way of that one. Now, which attack do I use, Persain is out of Snorlax's attacking range, and the bad accuracy Snorlax has doesn't help...
And then she sort of smiled. It was hard to tell if it was a ferocious smile or a happy one, because she only wore it for a second, and in that second she corrected herself. Out of Snorlax's close attacking range.
"Snorlax," she said in the same, quiet tone as before, "use Giga Impact."

James beamed as he watched Persain slash at the giant pokemon. Persain was sprinting to and fro so fast that the jet black hair James had so neatly combed was sticking up from the draft.

"Persain get a couple more slashes in their, go for the head!"

With that the Persain lept foward and pounced the Snorlax's head, laying on another strong swipe. Did she just say something? James thought that he saw Mudskipper say something... her lips had moved...

"Persain, dig, NOW!"

James watched as the Snorlax prepared itself for a frontal attack. Not this time!

Persain burrowed down, safely out of Snorlax's reach for the moment...

Mudskipper snapped her fingers.
"Snorlax," she said, still using a soft tone, "Rollout down the hole. If you can't make it, then...then use Defense Curl. And quickly. That Persain will come up any second now."
The Snorlax readied a huge boulder. It aimed down the hole.
And with a combination of smile and smirk on her face, Mudskipper straightened the yellow bow in her hair and watched as Snorlax sent the boulder down the hole.

As soon as Snorlax lifted the boulder to throw it down the hatch, the ground a couple feet behind it broke. Persain lept from the hole, Snorlax's projectile never near the lanky cat. As the boulder was released, Persain was already springing into action. Two swift swipes to the back of the head, a quick climb to the top of the mighty pokemon, and a scarring blow across the face with an opened-claw pound to the face. Then in an instant, Persain was off the great giant, again, safely out reach.

James beamed, his pearly strait teeth showing full force. Persain is improvising a bit, that is helping out. As long as Persain can keep out of Snorlax's immediate striking zone. We need to stop using direct physical attacks or Mudskipper is going to catch on.

"Persain, be inconsistent with your speed!" James worded it just loud enough so the words would catch the cat as it whipped by, not missing a breath.

Oh, snap! This IS one heck of a battle! Keep your voice down, Mudskipper--stay quiet and calm! Let's see, I need Snorlax to use something that Persain can't dodge.
"Snorlax, use Sandstorm, and then Yawn," she said, keeping her voice so low that it was barely audible.
"Snorlax snor," her Pokemon replied, setting up a sandstorm. Mudskipper's thoughts had proved right. Sand hit the Persain directly in the face. While it was temporarily blinded, the sandstorm developed fully, whipping in the air.
As soon as Persain opened its eyes, Snorlax yawned right in its face.
I really hope Persain can't shake this off, Mudskipper thought, crossing her fingers tightly.