• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS A good Staraptor moveset?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I generally like testing out/figuring out movesets for myself, but this is one I've been debating over. I figured I'd throw the question out there to see what your guys' thoughts on it are.

What do people think the ideal Staraptor moveset would be? This is just in theory, so egg move suggestions are fair game. A moveset I've considered would be:

Aerial Ace/Brave Bird (not both, and leaning more towards Aerial Ace)
Close Combat
Endeavor
Roost/FeatherDance

Honestly, the last two moves are just chucked on their because I'm out of ideas. I haven't tried U-Turn, but I'm sure it'd have its uses. Steel Wing I left off because it seems a bit redundant when Close Combat is already included. You COULD go the Toxic/Whirl Wind route, but it seems like a waste of Staraptor's power to me... Maybe Endure to match with Endeavor?

And this is why I'm asking for suggestions ^^;
Any thoughts on it?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Staraptor
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
-Aerial Ace/Fly/Brave Bird
-Close Combat
-Double Edge/Endeavor/Return
-U-Turn/Endure

Yay for helping out the bird that raped my team! XD

Anyone of those three Flying-moves would be good I think, its just all based on battle style. I would go with Brave Bird, since Leftover's could easily take care of your recoil problem.

Close Combat is helpful, and will certainly serve you well.

I think Double Edge would be better than Endeavor myself, and again, Leftovers helps the recoil damage. Return could be helpful too, but you could definitely go with that Endeavor and Return combo.

U-turn, it does have its uses, and it would be a big surprise to any Psychic-types you come up against. The fact that it switches you out after usage can be good or bad obviously, but it could come in handy. Plus it'd cover your lack of a Bug-type move in your team... since I don't rember you having a Bug-type. XD

So basically my choices would be Brave Bird, Close Combat, Double Edge, and U-turn. Also, Double Edge is an egg-move. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Except that Hyper Beam is now a Special attack, and Staraptor's power is all Attacking-based. That'd make Hyper Beam rather crappy on it. Giga Impact, on the other hand, could be great, but I personally don't like recharge attacks. You'd take down your first opponent but basically leave Staraptor at the mercy of whatever took its place, and the birdie doesn't really have the defenses to survive a direct counter attack like that =/

I would say having Brave Bird AND Close combat on your bird would be harming you more then anything. Losing Def/SpDef, and getting recoil damage as you said would make poor Staraptor cry.

And I don't think you should go down the Whirl Wind route, as Skarmory pretty much is 100x better at it. U-turn would probably be a good idea if someone switches in a lightning Pokemon on you which pretty much turns this into a turkey.

For EV's if you're going for a hit and run type Staraptor, You should put them all in Atk/Spd, then the last four in HP

-Aerial Ace
-Close Combat
-Agility/Endeavor/Return
-U-Turn

I'm not sure if agility would be useful for not, but if you get it off, it would pretty much mean you go first with w/e move you use.

You're pretty much screwed against Ghost/Rock type pokemon though, as most pack ice or electric moves to OHKO you.