• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

A Gijinka Story Nuzlocke Question (I want your opinions!)

Whats your opinion on Gijinka Storylockes?

• I like them!

• I'm not a fan.

• I'm indifferent.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, I've been really curious about something for a while now! I'm currently doing a Gijinka Storylocke challenge fanfiction for Pokemon Sun and I'm having a ton of fun with it, but there's times where I wonder if the world of the plot has any holes in it.

For example, I've decided that the world of this fanfic is made up of Pokemon humans, so they're people with the abilities and powers of Pokemon, which is treated a lot like magic in the story. There are no traditional humans in this story, and as such, it changes the world a lot. Though I'm having fun world building and I want to keep this idea going, I realized that doing this kind of caused the world to feel a little strange at times, since I couldn't write in things like "the call of birds in the distance", "the buzzing of bugs in the evening", and other extra details like this to add flavor to scenes.

I constantly find myself wondering if a world where the animals are the people is a bad idea, since it sounds a lot like the world doesn't have animals in it, just humans with animal traits. I'm constantly fighting with the question of "Should there be normal Pokemon in this world along side the Gijinka characters, or would that be strange?" and other questions like that. It can get frustrating, considering I've committed to this story idea.

Anyway I'm rambling-- I'm here to ask a question to all Nuzlocke story writers, readers, or people considering making one:

Do you ever find yourself struggling to write your Nuzlocke story because of a detail that's hard to grasp? In addition, do you find it hard to write Gijinka Storylockes? If you've ever written a Nuzlocke Fanfic or Comic (gijinka or otherwise), how have you overcome difficulties with your writing and/or plot holes and road blocks in your contexts?

This is like the idea of Cars, where everything living had to be changed into cars or a vehicle, and everything had to be accessible for a vehicle to use.

For me, I still would do "hear the tweeting from the birds", as you aren't saying what kind of birds they are and if they are gijinka or not. You can show this in your story, or go the lazy route and just say it.

For instance, I would do this:

"As the sun shone down upon the sandy beach of Hau'oli City's Outskirts, a young man could be seen laying down and tanning in the morning sun, feeling the heat hit his skin and fur. As he looked up, he could see the Wingull flapping about and talking to each other, their human faces and bodies looking quite awkward as their wings try to keep them aloft. Looking down at the water, there were many fish Pokemon/human hybrids, where they had the traits of these Pokemon on human bodies."

So, you can do what I did, which was show and tell.

This is like the idea of Cars, where everything living had to be changed into cars or a vehicle, and everything had to be accessible for a vehicle to use.

For me, I still would do "hear the tweeting from the birds", as you aren't saying what kind of birds they are and if they are gijinka or not. You can show this in your story, or go the lazy route and just say it.

For instance, I would do this:

"As the sun shone down upon the sandy beach of Hau'oli City's Outskirts, a young man could be seen laying down and tanning in the morning sun, feeling the heat hit his skin and fur. As he looked up, he could see the Wingull flapping about and talking to each other, their human faces and bodies looking quite awkward as their wings try to keep them aloft. Looking down at the water, there were many fish Pokemon/human hybrids, where they had the traits of these Pokemon on human bodies."

So, you can do what I did, which was show and tell.
You know, that's actually really clever! I just lowkey worried that certain things would be awkward to visualize in certain scenes? Like if something startles a tree and sends flying types scattering or something, it sounds more silly than startling, but then again that might have to do with how it's described or portrayed.

I'll see what I can do with that view! Thanks for the suggestion!