• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

A Brief History Of Pokemon

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord

To make up for my somewhat absence recently, as I continue to work behind the scenes for this summer's major new features, I've decided to start a small series of articles for the site focusing on the history of the Pokémon franchise from its very inception in Satoshi Tajiri's head over 30 years ago to where we stand today as Generation V looms in the distance.

Today's first article focuses on Pokémon's pretty turbulent beginnings and brings us as far as Pokémon Red and Blue's debut worldwide. Make sure to keep an eye out for the next article in the series where we'll take a look at how Pokémon went onto dominate the world's media outside of video games.

I hope you enjoy it. :) Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very nice. I love how it actually goes into detail about the creation/conception of Pokemon. In addition, the pictures are awesome.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh heh. I certainly dig the format of the article, layout and pictures included. Like Secad mentioned, the pictures really add to it, and is that Venusaur and Blastoise I see in the BG? X3

Very cool, Alex ^^

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Heh heh. I certainly dig the format of the article, layout and pictures included. Like Secad mentioned, the pictures really add to it, and is that Venusaur and Blastoise I see in the BG? X3

Don't forget the Charizard across from Green and Red ;).

As most of your ideas Alex, this was brilliant. The bg pics were a great addition and the article was very informative. I'll be waiting for where this will go next.

Wow! I knew that Pokemon started because of Tajiri's love of catching insects, but I never knew that the game itself was started because he imagined insects crawling along the cable! That's pretty sweet!

This was definitely a very nicely written article, and very informative, too! The only thing I knew already was the whole "catching insects" thing, but everything else I had no clue about. It's nice to know how some of the best games I've ever played (aka Pokemon games) had started. I'm definitely looking forward to the next article!