• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

#697 - Tyrantrum

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
697-0.png

#679 Tyrantrum
[type=rock][/type]/[type=dragon][/type]
20446_info.png

Japanese Name: Gachigorasu
Classification: Despot Pokemon
Height: 8'02''
Weight: 595.2 lbs.
Egg Group: Monster, Dragon

20450_abilities.png

Ability: Strong Jaw
Hidden Ability: Rock Head

20449_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Revealed by IGN on the 19th of September 2013. Although revealed on separate websites, Tyrantrum was revealed around the same time as Aurorus.

Additional Info: In order to obtain one for yourself you'll need to restore the Jaw Fossil into Tyrunt at the Fossil Lab. It reigned over 100 million years ago as king. It's biggest weapon is its jaw that can tear through iron plate as if it were paper.

20454_pokedex.png

X: Thanks to its gargantuan jaws, which could shred thick metal plates as if they were paper, it was invincible in the ancient world it once inhabited.
Y: Nothing could stop this Pokémon 100 million years ago, so it behaved like a king.

20453_locations.png

Evolve Tyrunt

20455_evolution.png

20516_696-697.png

Evolves from Tyrunt at level 39 if levelled up in the day.

20462_levelup.png

--- Head Smash
--- Tail Whip
--- Tackle
Lv. 6 - Roar
Lv. 10 - Stomp
Lv. 12 - Bide
Lv. 15 - Stealth Rock
Lv. 17 - Bite
Lv. 20 - Charm
Lv. 26 - Ancient Power
Lv. 30 - Dragon Tail
Lv. 34 - Crunch
Lv. 37 - Dragon Claw
Lv. 42 - Thrash
Lv. 47 - Earthquake
Lv. 53 - Horn Drill
Lv. 58 - Head Smash
Lv. 68 - Rock Slide
Lv. 75 - Giga Impact

20469_artwork.png

600px-Tyrantrum.png
20470_screenshots.png

asdfdf.pngTyrantrumScreenShot.png

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"The theme of the Kalos region is beauty. Have some hideous dinosaurs."

Well, Tyrantrum is not terrible design-wise. Could have been much better, but also could have been much worse. Art-wise, though, it suffers from some SEVERE Sugimoritis though. I'll probably like it more once I draw it looking like a proper dinosaur with less retarded jaw structure.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
"The theme of the Kalos region is beauty. Have some hideous dinosaurs."
Nooooooo. I think they're both beautiful :') Aurorus is so pretty and Tyrantrum is beautiful in a not-so-conventional way... but I still want to hug it and squish it with love xD

*Ahem*

I adore Tyrantrum and I'm so happy to finally have an official T-Rex Pokemon. Tyranitar, you tried, but the King of the Dinosaurs has just made its grand entrance!

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
TBF, Tyranitar was never actually meant to be Tyrannosaurus. It was meant to be a godawful Godzilla clone. XP

But yeaaaaah. Tyrantrum has potential. But official-art-wise it looks too much like a bad Final Fantasy monster for me to really like it.

But it still has feathers, and that is a good thing.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The thing above Tyrantrum's eyes looks like a crown, it has a "beard" and a feathered collar/mantle thing. King of the dinosaurs indeed. This knowledge makes me appreciate its design and I quite love it. Can't wait to see the full artwork because I bet its feet are adorable. I love the rocky scales along its body too. Can't wait to train one of these critters. ♥

To be honest, I felt a little disappointed that it just looked like a bigger, spikier Tyrunt. But after Katie mentioned that those spikes made it look like an elderly monarch, it makes sense. Digging the Honeycomb scales, too~

This guy looks like he can wreck some shit; and his typing, ability and plausible moveset further imply this. Suffice to say, I am definitely going with this tyrant and am really looking forward to training it!

Without the official artwork, I'll just say it looks half the badass I thought it would. I'm really happy Game Freak is introducing all these new unique type combinations though. They keep things fresh and interesting. I'll definitely pick this one, for sure.

Finally we get a T-Rex fossil! I really like this guy, definitely the fossil I'll be choosing. Once I obtain him, he's gonna be named Tyrant for sure.

I'm definitely still choosing Tyrunt over the other fossil, but I guess I was expecting to like the evolution more than I do. Tyrantrum is a cool name, and his design isn't bad but he'll probably be boxed. Well I always box the fossils anyways because I'm too lazy to backtrack and revive it right away.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
One of the things that bug me the most about Tyrantrum (other than its terrible case of Sugimoritis) is its name. It just brings to mind the mental image of it screaming, flailing its tiny arms and demanding candy like a giant, angry petulant three-year-old.

It would still break the plexiglass off the car like the Jurassic Park T. rex, but it’d scream “ARE WE THERE YET!?” at its occupants. Then it’d proceed to pick fights in the back seat with Aurorus and keep poking its dumb-ass frills. Meanwhile Aerodactyl (who is having a hard time driving anyway what with those huge honking wings attached to its arms) turns its head back and screams “DON’T MAKE ME TURN THIS CAR AROUND”, misses a turn and the whole thing plummets unceremoniously off a cliff.

And that’s how dinosaur Pokémon became extinct.

I really love the design of this one; he certainly looks like a Tyrannous Lizard King to me. I'm torn between having this or Aurorus on my team now. :D

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, Dinosaurs aren't extinct. They're all around us.

They're called birds these days, but still.

Of course, this isn't the first time we got dinosaurs as fossils. Gen 4 featured Cranidos/Rampardos (based loosely on Pachycephalosaurids) and Shieldon/Bastiodon (which are supposed to be incredibly bastardized Ceratopsians). Also, Gen 5 featured Archeops, which is based on Archaeopteryx - a creature that taxonomically keeps shifting from 'bird' to 'dinosaur'.

Other fossils haven't been dinosaurs, but they HAVE been largely extinct creatures (although Kabuto might be based on a Horseshoe crab, and these are still extant - though they are living fossils or sorts).

Last edited:
I adore Tyrantrum and I'm so happy to finally have an official T-Rex Pokemon. Tyranitar, you tried, but the King of the Dinosaurs has just made its grand entrance!

Tyrantrum is pretty cool looking, but when i get the chance to transfer my Pokemon from Diamond and Platinum, Tyranitar is still going to be on my team! You know, I think it would be fun to battle Tyrantrum with my Tyranitar.

It would still break the plexiglass off the car like the Jurassic Park T. rex, but it’d scream “ARE WE THERE YET!?” at its occupants. Then it’d proceed to pick fights in the back seat with Aurorus and keep poking its dumb-ass frills. Meanwhile Aerodactyl (who is having a hard time driving anyway what with those huge honking wings attached to its arms) turns its head back and screams “DON’T MAKE ME TURN THIS CAR AROUND”, misses a turn and the whole thing plummets unceremoniously off a cliff.

And that’s how dinosaur Pokémon became extinct.

That is the best thing I've heard all day.

TBF, Tyranitar was never actually meant to be Tyrannosaurus. It was meant to be a godawful Godzilla clone. XP

But yeaaaaah. Tyrantrum has potential. But official-art-wise it looks too much like a bad Final Fantasy monster for me to really like it.

Why are you always critical about Pokemon designs, is it your life or something?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, I'm critical about everything, not just Pokémon designs. But since we are on the subject matter - I might as well explain myself.

Creature design as a whole, you see, is a subject that is near and dear to my heart - and while it isn't "my life" per se, it is certainly a large part of it. As such, I am rather likely to call out bullshit (or what I personally perceive as bullshit) as I see it.

Pokémon designs, alas, present me with ample opportunities to do so - either by merit of the designs themselves or the (in my personal opinion) questionable official art style of the franchise (as many designs that don't look particularly brilliant in-game actually look quite decent when drawn by more competent artists). Rest assured, however, that even though I find many designs rather lacklustre, there are also many that I am quite fond of and I am equally vocal about how much I like them and why I do.

In this particular case you can clearly see it in my post - the design has potential and I do appreciate the plumage incorporated into the design - it's kind of amusing (and strangely satisfying) when a franchise that is generally targeted at children accepts and incorporates the presence of plumage on tyrannosaurid theropods into its design while many other franchises still don't (in spite of a fair body of evidence pointing towards it) - What bothers me is the art style (and to a lesser extent its standing stance, although it looks much more natural ingame). Criticism and scrutiny of designs and concepts goes both ways.

The long story short: I comment because I actually care. My posts represent my opinions, both to the positive and negative end of the spectrum. I realize that your culture does not particularly encourage critical thinking (after all, if Americans started thinking for themselves rather than eating the bullshit they are fed by various elements in their life and bleating their approval or discontent like a herd of sheep, the entire system would collapse!) - but quite frankly, on a message board you will encounter other people's opinions, some more eloquently phrased than others, and they will be posted regardless of what you think about them.

Of course, you are entitled to the opinion that I'm too critical about things that I actually care about and are equally entitled to express that opinion.

And I am just as entitled to respond by transforming into Julie Andrews and dancing in the Austrian meadows, like so:

4db77_ORIG-look_at_all_the_fucks_i_give.jpg
And as such, I believe I've wasted enough oxygen on you. Enjoy the rest of your stay on Pokécharms - and please, next time you feel like saying something stupid, pick your fights more wisely.

Last edited:
Some tyrannosaurids had filamentous feathers but there's still no real evidence that a T.rex
had them. Although on Tyrantrum they look awesome. I like the retro look they used in the design and its type is pretty cool. Finally, a T.rex pokémon.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Am I weird for thinking it's cute?

Was just thinking this myself. Recently while playing Pokemon X I encountered a random trainer with a Tyrantrum and found myself squeeing at the thing like a stereotypical five year old girl. :blush: It's just so damn adorable and I don't even know why! I ended up raising one in Pokemon Y and even if I'd never use it competitively, I deeply love this silly bearded dinosaur. Definitely within my top favourites of the Gen VI Pokemon. ^^

I think tyranitar is a giant horny toad but that just my humble opinion. but yes finally someone knows that birds are related to dinosaurs! (I'm a dinosaur expert) i kind of like tyrantrum though in fact i was begining to wonder what preyed on the ancient pokemon and now i have the answer. and actually fossil evidence has proofed that most dinosaurs had feathers.[/QUOTE]

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Technically speaking, birds are not related to dinosaurs - Birds are dinosaurs. Only surviving Theropods, in fact! But yeah, let's not argue cladistics, hm?

Incidentally, fossil evidence hasn't quite proved that most dinosaurs had feathers - evidence has been simply found that feathers existed on other branches of the dinosaur family tree and quite a bit earlier than observed before - which led to a speculation that the common ancestor of all dinosaurs had some sort of feathers or proto-feathers or at least a propensity for developing them. Sound speculation really - although there's quite a bit of preserved skin impressions suggesting scales in quite a few lineages. Of course, this may represent partial plumage - or alternately secondary loss of plumage - or even that feathers arose independently in multiple lines of dinosaurs from scaly but prone to developing quills or knobs or proto-feathers. Who the eff knows for sure.

But feathered non-theropod dinosaurs as a whole are a nifty concept and I'd love to see more research and more findings on the subject. ^^

the common ancestor might be eoraptor since the raptor family has a lot of evidence that they had plumage. but of course some dinosaurs like troodon (part of the raptor family) that lived near the Arctic would have died without plumage. Surprisingly there also has been evidence of dinosaurs being warm-blooded which makes them less like reptiles and more like birds! we at least know that some dinosaurs like archaeopteryx (Its Pokemon form is archen and archeops) had plumage as well as feathers. but unless we discover the way to time travel (which would be way to risky) we won't know for sure. :( I WANT TO KNOW IF T-REX WAS COLORED PINK WAH!!!!!!!!! ;_; 'just kiddin'

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Oh dear. For a self-proclaimed 'dinosaur expert' you sure have a LOT of your facts wrong. Well, sit right up and prepare to be schoolfed, because it's time for StellarWind Elsydeon's Biology Corner!

Thank you, you're too kind. Ahem. Anyway.

The clade Dinosauria can be divided to two major orders - the Saurischia ("Lizard Hipped") and the Ornithischia ("Bird Hipped") - both terrible misnomers kept for historical reasons - as birds actually arose from Saurischian dinosaurs whereas Ornithischians left no living descendants.

Ornithischian dinosaurs were beaked primary-herbivores and the order includes many 'famous' groups of dinosaurs - Stegosaurids, Ankylosaurids, Marginocephalians (that is to say, Ceratopsians and Pachycephalosaurians) and Ornithopods (such as the 'duck-billed' Hadrosaurs) were all Ornithischians. Saurischian dinosaurs can be further divided to Sauropodomorphs and Theropods, alongside a few basal species that aren't quite either. Since we're on the subject of dinosaur feathers, let's talk Theropods - as the Theropods (and specifically maniraptoran theropods) were indeed the first group where evidence was found for plumage - though over the years a large body of evidence popped up and suggested that most theropods (including some of the odder beasts such as Deinocheirus) were at least partially (if not fully) feathered. And since we've gone and mentioned those, let's get some confusion out of the way.

The 'raptor family' (or at least, what most people think of as the 'raptor family' unofficially) has a proper name - Dromaeosauridae - and it does not, in fact, include Troodontids. The placement of those on the tree of life is still under debate, some believing they form a natural group with Dromaeosaurids while others place them closer to Avialans (the group containing modern birds). Now that we've clarified what is and isn't a "raptor", let's get one thing out of the way - Eoraptor was NOT actually a "raptor". In fact - in all likelyhood it wasn't even a Theropod. The early age of Eoraptor and the fact it has traits that may be ancestral to both Theropods and Sauropodomorphs suggests that it quite a basal Saurischian (and even then, it may not have been the 'ancestor' of both Saurischian lineages - several other lineages exist whose placement is uncertain and could predate Eoraptor). It, however, does not account in any way for the Ornithischian side of the Dinosaur branch - so whoops, there goes the idea of it being the common ancestor of all dinosaurs out the damn window.

In any case. Feathers - or at least proper feathers (incidentally, 'plumage' means the same thing as 'feathers' - unless you're trying to make a distinction between assorted protofeathers and central-shafted feathers akin to those on modern birds) - were thought to be entirely a theropod thing until fairly recently, a quirk of the particular lineage that led to birds and its close relatives - whereas the Ornithischian side remained quite unfeathered (although filamentous quill-like structures that may or may not be homologous to theropod feathers were found in Psittacosaurus and Tianyulong). A study of many dinosaur skin impressions as recent as December 2013 suggested that the ancestral condition for dinosaurs was most likely scales rather than feathers - albeit it's possible that these scales were already well on their way to evolve into quill/feather like structures.

Then, everything changed when Kulindadromeus zabaikalicus attacked. That is to say, when a small Ornithischian herbivore that had both scales and some form of feathers was discovered in Siberia and dated back to the mid/late-Jurassic. This has made people speculate that Feathers? In MY Dinosaurs? It might have happened a lot earlier than you think. Naturally, this inspired a lot of clickbait - and for people who get most of their scientific information wholesale from sites such as 'I Fucking Love Science', that usually suffices. Those of us who actually do love science, though*, tend to actually read more than just the header of an article and think critically about the described study's methods and conclusions before regurgitating half-chewed facts at message boards.

* Regardless of our relative degrees of interest in the part suggesting sexual intercourse with aforementioned science.

As for dinosaur thermoregulation - there's a hell of a lot of debate on the subject, but it's generally thought that dinosaurs were most likely what one would call mesotherms - neither poikilotherms ("cold blooded") nor homeotherms ("warm-blooded") but rather something in between, adjusting their body temperature to a metabolically convenient one through a combination of metabolism-produced heat and environmental cues. And to be fair, unless you're still stuck in the sixties, it's hardly surprising.

Also! You've mentioned arctic Troodonts. While it's true that Troodon was found as far north as Alaska, you must take into consideration the fact that what you think of as arctic climate today may not have held at the time these animals lived. As the matter of fact there is evidence (mainly the presence of warm-adapted plant fossils) that the climate in these areas was far warmer in the particular chunk of the Cretaceous when Troodonts lived than it is today, so there's another argument that doesn't quite hold water. Nevertheless, it is rather likely that these animals were feathered and so the question of whether or not they could have survived without feathers up north is fairly moot.

Anyway! I've been going on on this post for a few hours and quite frankly it's about time I posted this and stopped rambling like the deranged bio-geek that I am. I would however suggest checking your facts and doing your own research - and above all not assuming you know something we don't - before calling yourself an 'expert' and proving you are anything but.

That's all. Armblades out.