• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

#651 - Quilladin

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
651-0.png

#651 - Quilladin
[type=grass][/type]
20446_info.png

Japanese Name: Hariboogu
Classification: Thorn Armour Pokémon
Height: 0.7m
Weight: 29kg
Egg Group: Field

20450_abilities.png

Ability: Overgrow
Hidden Ability: Bulletproof

20449_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Quilladin was revealed along with Mega Garchomp, Mega Mewtwo X, Braixen, Frogadier, Furfrou, Meowstic, Tyrunt and Amaura on the 11th of September 2013 as part of the CoroCoro leak. It was later revealed internationally on Sept. 13th.

20454_pokedex.png

X: It relies on its sturdy shell to deflect predators' attacks. It counterattacks with its sharp quills.
Y: They strengthen their lower bodies by running into one another. They are very kind and won't start fights.

20453_locations.png

Evolve from Chespin.

20455_evolution.png

20489_chespin.png

Evolves from Chespin at level 16

20462_levelup.png

--- Tackle
--- Growl
Lv. 5 - Vine Whip
Lv. 8 - Rollout
Lv. 11 - Bite
Lv. 15 - Leech Seed
Lv. 20 - Pin Missile
Lv. 26 - Needle Arm
Lv. 30 - Take Down
Lv. 35 - Seed Bomb
Lv. 39 - Mud Shot
Lv. 44 - Bulk Up
Lv. 48 - Body Slam
Lv. 52 - Pain Split
Lv. 55 - Wood Hammer

20469_artwork.png

Quilladin.png
20470_screenshots.png

Quilladin_Official_Screenshot_1_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
Quilladin_Official_Screenshot_3_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Quilladin_Official_Screenshot_2_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
No.

^ I would leave it at that but you know... spam :V Well... I said I was choosing Chespin and I feel honour-bound to stick to my guns and hope (andhopeandhope) that the final stage is a vast improvement on this balloon animal. Maybe it'll grow on me and to be fair middle stages are rarely my favourite stages anyway.

Well it looks like I might be choosing Froakie after all. I hope he goes to fat camp somewhere between this and his final evolution (or even his mega evolution) Maybe this will just be his awkward middle school years and we can all look back on Hariboogu and laugh someday because we know that now he is beautiful again.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
....=|

I am really, really disappointed in this thing. Chespin and Fennekin have always been my favourite of the Kalos starter and yet neither of them have decent middle stages, heck how did they even come up with this design from Chespin?!

Hoping its final stage is better otherwise I will never, ever, be using a Chespin.

First we have Chespin resembling Oshawott, now this thing looks like Pignite's long-lost brother! I can't take this thing seriously at all, but to be fair, most of the mid-stage starters are derpy as hell.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No.

^ I would leave it at that but you know... spam :V Well... I said I was choosing Chespin and I feel honour-bound to stick to my guns and hope (andhopeandhope) that the final stage is a vast improvement on this balloon animal.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly at this point. I'm trying to remain open-minded but it's a struggle. Even after all this time I'm still not a fan of Pignite's design (it's very likely my least favourite mid-staged starter design), and seeing how this fellow looks eerily similar in style... I don't like it. :? If I'm honest, I doubt I ever will either. It's just a lazy, if not outright bad, design in general. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope that the final evolution redeems the line.

(I really like Chespin, too </3)

... but to be fair, most of the mid-stage starters are derpy as hell.

I tend to disagree with this notion myself. I adore all three of the Kanto starters' mid stage forms, Quilava/Bayleef, Grovyle/Combusken, Monferno, and Dewott. Several others I quite like too, they're just not favourites. Aside from Prinplup, Marshtomp, and Pignite, I've liked all of the mid-staged starters. This evolution of Chespin is just in that small minority of the ones that I dislike. :x

Last edited:

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I tend to disagree with this notion myself. I adore all three of the Kanto starters' mid stage forms, Quilava/Bayleef, Grovyle/Combusken, Monferno, and Dewott. Several others I quite like too, they're just not favourites. Aside from Prinplup, Marshtomp, and Pignite, I've liked all of the mid-staged starters. This evolution of Chespin is just in that small minority of the ones that I dislike. :x
I agree with Katie here. If anything, I usually prefer the Middle forms. It is where they start to get distinct designs and they are not overdone like a lot of the final forms are (*cough*Sceptile*cough*). Obviously this form could be little indication to what we end with, but it seems to be moving more towards a mole-like Pokemon. I expect it to get a bit longer, but still chubby and get a Ground sub-typing when it evolves again. It could be decent looking, but I'm not holding out too much hope at this point. :x

I'm still planning on having Chespin as my main starter for pokémon x, because it's still my favorite as far as the basic forms, but I think it'll take me a while to accept its new evolved form. I like it and all, it's just I was expecting something a little more epic and warrior-like

....:(

Why, oh why, Hariboogu, did you have to let me down?

*sigh* And I really like Chespin more then the other two. Just...as far as the second stage evolutions go, Chespin's is without a doubt the worst. Oh, I'm still going to be loyal and choose Chespin(probably), but this evolution makes me sad. I have my fingers crossed hoping the final form is a big improvement.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Kill this thing with fire. Or flying. Or bug. Or ice. Or poison. Or a poisonous, flying bug that kills its enemy by means of frost burn.

I am disappoint, Game Freak. I am most certainly disappoint. Chespin did have its redeeming features, but I couldn't get over its dumb Pachirisu-esque face and I kept hoping evolution would turn it more appealing to me. Instead, it went and did the exact opposite. This lazy-ass Pignite Redux is utterly unsalvagable.

Oh well. There's still hope that it might evolve into something utterly awesome for its final form. Somehow, though, I'm not counting on it.

Guys! I volunteer myself to take one for the team and spend around a week finding all of these guys in Kalos and having some kind of purge :D

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
idk it's kinda cute I don't know why everyone's hating on this thing. I mean, look at that face. It's all derpy and happy and wheeeeee. It looks like it's bouncing around happily and-

Who am I even kidding, this thing is just despairingly disappointing. I really liked Chespin but this just... ugh.

RIGHT! i know game freaks plan i bet this will evoulve to something like serperior because the first form, looks like an oshawott a bit and this looks like a pignite with a chespin body

Am I the only one who doesn't dislike this Quilladin fellow? Hell, I can't say that I love it, but I don't hate it either. It's just a little bit derpy, so what? I chose Froakie the moment I saw that blue frog/toad/thing, but I can't really understand the reason for all this hate towards a young 'Mon looking for its road to follow.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
You know... now I've seen the images of Quilladin in game my dislike isn't half as bad. That official art just makes it look so... bloated. I don't mind it so much in the screenshots, so there's hope yet! I also rather like the English name.

As much as I don't like to admit, he's kinda growing on me... but I still don't like what he is >:I however, I will hope that he has some badass overgrown armadillo mole evolution. My predictions for this mon is that he will specialize in defense and evolve into... either a rock or a ground type, which would be a shame if it did, since we already have Torterra. However, I would be just as happy if it remained a pure grass, just so long as his evolution looks better.

Hmm...Quilladin looks MUCH better in game than he does in the artwork....which is sort of the reverse of the newly-revealed Pyroar :p

That being said, this is still my least favorite out of the second-stage starters. Right now, I'm really hoping that he'll evolve into some knight of awesomeness(if the theory about the last part of Quilladin's name, Paladin, is actually true) and that it will far surpass the other starters this generation.

I'm still picking Chespin no matter what, but I have my fingers crossed hoping Chespin's final evolution makes up for this one.

WTF!!?? Chespin was cute and now THIS THING ruined it!!!!! I mean it looks like a tree with a face and a overgrown nose!!!!! .. ok Im sorry for being rude but gamefreak just doesnt have any cool ideas anymore..;_;

ok now that I look at it a bit more its kinda cute.. KINDA

Chespin's Evolution is definitely not what everybody was expecting.
And I think that is why so many people disliked it at first or still dislike it. (I'm saying that because I know a lot of people who now started to like Quilladin)
Honestly, when I first saw it I was like "Oh my gosh, what's that..? It's fat and.. weird.. This is just so disappointing.."
But after I watched the trailer a few times and saw Quilladin during battle I started to like it. And my mind was kinda "Well, actually it's not that bad. It's.. chubby and actually pretty cute.."
Well, okay, what I'm trying to say is that so many people were disappointed about Chespins evolution because it's obviously not as beautiful as Braixen or Frogadier, but just remember: Good things come with the bad =) !

Dang! I have to pick this thing because I'm gonna get Torchic and Squirtle!

You know, actually he's kinda cool and cute. I'll pick him!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Dang! I have to pick this thing because I'm gonna get Torchic and Squirtle!

Please don't double post, use the edit button in future if you have something to add. I merged your two posts together this time. And please make sure you read the forum rules~

I actually think it's kind of cute. I think it's a little sad that some of you seem to hate it because it's "fat". :(

I'm actually quite excited to see what it evolves into. I remember when D &P came out; no one seemed to like Grotle, until they saw what it became. :D

You know, when I first saw this thing, I wasn't sure if I'd like it. But for some reason I can't quite understand yet, after seeing the screenshots, it's roundness and happy face are already growing on me. He's an odd pokémon for a starter, but he's actually quite alright. They just picked the worst way to introduce him.

I thought Chespin and Froakie are the coolest for the basic kalos starters but this guy made me laugh, not choosing chespin anymore. Unless it evolves into something awesome.:D

Just you wait. This guy is like the fat guy in school everyone makes fun of, but he's plotting in his corner the entire time, and when he gets ripped and evolves he destroys everyone on the volleyball court.

I was hopeful for Chespin then I saw this... First word to come to mind Piñata XD but in all seriousness I'm predicting it will turn into Grass/Steel Type with spikes

Just you wait. This guy is like the fat guy in school everyone makes fun of, but he's plotting in his corner the entire time, and when he gets ripped and evolves he destroys everyone on the volleyball court.

I agree. Theories have suggested he will become some kind of paladin like pokemon. (Hence the name QuilLADIN) I think it will burst open from it's shell and become some kind of bad-ass pokemon

:D Awww, come on, its not THAT bad is it, just look at it so chubby! Originally, i would of picked fennekin, but braixen is so BAD and i never really liked froakie or frogadier so i might choose the pignite reject after all

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Even after all this time I'm still not a fan of Pignite's design (it's very likely my least favourite mid-staged starter design), and seeing how this fellow looks eerily similar in style... I don't like it. :? If I'm honest, I doubt I ever will either.

*Eats her hat* :x

Don't get me wrong. I still wish that Quilladin had taken a very different design route, nor is it an overly great looking Pokemon, but since raising it as my first Kalos starter and abusing Pokemon-Amie I've fallen in love with the thing. ;_;

I guess that's the power of actually raising a Pokemon first-hand though. It's hard for me not to get attached to my team Pokemon and this generation has made things even more impacting. With my Quilladin looking over its shoulder at me in battle and dodging/critical hitting things on my behalf thanks to Pokemon-Amie, the critter has finally won me over. You can bet that if I ever saw a Quilladin plushie in store I'd grab it up in an instant. xp