• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

8th movie DVD to be released with Mastermind special + Mystery Dungeon special

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Considering that I missed the Mastermind special on KidsWB, this is an interesting bit of news for me. According to PUSA, the The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon is going to be released on the dubbed 8th movie DVD as a special feature. Not just that, it'll be for the most part redubbed - so if you hated the original VAs, you may enjoy it more the second time 'round ;)

In other random news, it seems that a Mystery Dungeon special for CN is in the works, already confirmed to be receiving a DVD release sometime afterwards (no date on either yet). Also to note is that starting in Nintendo Power's Sept. issue they'll be publishing a six-part comic on Mystery Dungeon, but whether it'll be based directly off the anime special has yet to be announced. I'd say there's a good chance it would be, tho. This wouldn't be the first time they'd published Anime-based comics like Pokemon.

What else...? 9th movie confirmed to be receiving a '07 dub release (duh) but no date given yet, and if anyone missed it: according to Amazon.com, the 8th movie is slated for September 19th in the US. Yayz.

*Thanks Bulbanews for info*

So... Who actually saw the Mastermind special and is able to form a good opinion on it aside from the voice acting? I'm looking forward to actually seeing it with hopes that it's at least half-decent :p

The Mystery Dungeon special sounds fun, too. No humans? Talking Pokemon? Hello "Island of the Giant Pokemon"! One of my all-time favourite episodes from first season. I generally enjoy the Pokemon-only movie shorts, too (Gotta Dance was gold) ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
So... Who actually saw the Mastermind special and is able to form a good opinion on it aside from the voice acting? I'm looking forward to actually seeing it with hopes that it's at least half-decent :p

The script and animation themselves are pretty much sub-par. The intro "song" also needs a drastic changing. I'd even take Advanced Battle over the horrible rap thing they rushed out.

Most of the voices really weren't that bad. Oak was more or less right on the button, Misty's sounded perfect, Max actually sounded the best he's ever sounded, Joysan and Jennysan were more like their original counterparts as opposed to the new 4Kids ones, the narrator was the original pre-Pollock one, the music was great and it was nice to see 'Mewtwo' smacking the shit out of Dragonite without crappy stars being splashed over it to protect the moronic kiddies.

Ash was alright to me, but they've recast him anyway so meh. May sounded way too old though and Brock was just all kinds of wrong. Brock, at least, is going to be completely different in the redub so hopefully he'll be a lot better. May should be too. James was meh. He'd have been fine if he didn't sound like a snooty cock. Jessie and Meowth were spot on though.

Overall, a redub was definitely necessary considering that the original was rushed, some of the voices were simply off, others fluffed their lines and the problem wasn't fixed. Hopefully all of these problems will be fixed.

Though there are some people to whom the changes wont matter a damn because they're too blind to actually take on board the fact that the old VAs aint coming back.

If you check out the online PokémonCenter, you'll notice something else: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew is going to be released as a 2-disc set, a first for dubbed Pokémon movies! With the movie on one disc and Mastermind on the other disc, there's all KINDS of room leftover for bonuses! *crosses fingers for Pikachu's Summer Festival, Pikachu & Munchlax, Pikachu's Ghost Carnival and 4Kids farewell treats*

Last edited by a moderator: