• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

7-Up

Hi.
As you all know, Windows 7 launched recently and is attracting quite a lot of attention.
"Paint's like Photoshop" they say. "Aero shake is awesome" they shout, numbingly loud. But do you think so? Are you getting it? Have you already got it? Is the taskbar up to scratch? Post your comments bellow.
Thank You.
P.S. My opinion is, although it's a bit expensive, it looks much more user-friendly and advanced at the same time. I will get it with my new laptop I'm getting. Whenever that is...

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I've been using Windows 7 since January - since the first public beta - and you haven't even touched on the reasons it's good.

In short, it is Vista done right. Like Apple did with Snow Leopard, Microsoft haven't bombarded around changing everything because they feel like it, they've been fixing things. Firstly, the shitty UAC from Vista has been made decent - you can turn it down now so it's still sensible but not intrusive and annoying. Secondly, the various notifications that always used to throw themselves in your face and demand attention have been toned down - you can actually tell the update manager to shut the fuck up now, for example.

One of the "real" features is the complete overhaul they gave the taskbar - also known as the Superbar now. It now functions a lot like OS X's dock - essentially an unholy union between the quick launch and taskbar from Vista or XP. Programs can be stuck to it, and their icon lights up when the program is launched. It may sound a little fishy, but it really, really works. Another thing I am fond of (but not everyone will notice) is the new keyboard shortcuts - finally, I can manipulate windows and the taskbar without touching the mouse. It makes things so much easier for me. And the other addition I like is the segregation of the system tray - most of the old system tray icons are now relegated to a pop-up menu that lives where the system tray used to. It's a far better use of space, as I rarely looked at my system tray very often, and it had the tendency to get quite cluttered.

And that's just the stuff you can see - as I said earlier, most of the improvements are under the bonnet. It's very snappy, much snappier than Vista... and only a very small amount slower than XP, which is impressive when considering that XP is seven years old now.

Now I'm torn between keeping Vista or upgrading to Windows 7. D:

I never really had any problems with Vista aside from the memory hog and the slowness (but on the other hand, XP wasn't much better in this area because of my old computer being ancient). But Windows 7 sounds amazing for all the reasons Data mentioned and because it's just as good looking as (heck even better looking than) Vista. I'll probably just upgrade anyway just to stay current, and because I can't think of any ironclad reasons (aside from spending the money, however, price which won't be an issue come January) why I should stick with Vista.

Edit: Massive Typo fix!

Well if it is free to upgrade I will definitely get it, and from what data said and from what i have seen in the adverts it looks a lot better than my XP Media operating system, but knowing Me might screw up installing it, or I'm too much of a coward to try new things with tech support.

I've stuck with XP all throughout the whole 'Vista' thing. I tried Vista on a friend's computer and hated it. I found it a little difficult and confusing to use. Because of this, I'm not upgrading to 7. My XP with my silver start bar and Gallade background is staying put.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Naturally, no-one's forcing you to change from what you like - I certainly wouldn't. XP is a great operating system.

But remember that Windows 7 is a new operating system - it WILL be different - it's a given, things have to change to move on. And the problem is that it is so different, especially from XP, that you can't really form a proper opinion of it until you've used it for a week and learned to work with it. That's the way these things work. So, don't judge 7 based on Vista - 7 is both far superior, and quite different.

I would get Windows 7 if my Ram wasn't so bad. My computer is so slow, it wouldn't run right. Yes Vista is way different than XP. (I have XP and my parents have Vista so I use both) But after a little while, you get used to Vista, some things are just placed differently. I love Vista and if 7 is that much better, I'll get it as soon as I get a better computer. Or at least upgrade the comp.