• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

#679 - Honedge

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
679-0.png

#679 Honedge
[type=steel][/type]/[type=ghost][/type]
20446_info.png

Japanese Name: Hitotsuki
Classification: Sword Pokémon
Height: 2'07"
Weight: 4.4 lbs.
Egg Group: Mineral

20450_abilities.png

Ability: No Guard

20449_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Honedge was first revealed during the Japan Expo in France on July 4th. It was later officially revealed internationally on the following day, July 5th.

Additional Info: As written on Pokémon.com, "Honedge comes into being when a departed spirit inhabits a sword that once belonged to humans. It can use the blue cloth attached to its hilt as nimbly as an arm. If you were to carelessly take this blade in hand, you may find that blue cloth wrapping around you...draining the energy from your body!"

20454_pokedex.png

X: Apparently this Pokémon is born when a departed spirit inhabits a sword. It attaches itself to people and drinks their life force.
Y: If anyone dares to grab its hilt, it wraps a blue cloth around that person's arm and drains that person's life energy completely.

20453_locations.png

Route 6

20455_evolution.png

20508_679-681.png

Evolves into Doublade at level 35.

20462_levelup.png

--- Tackle
--- Swords Dance
Lv. 5 - Fury Cutter
Lv. 8 - Metal Sound
Lv. 13 - Pursuit
Lv. 18 - Autotomize
Lv. 20 - Shadow Sneak
Lv. 22 - Aerial Ace
Lv. 26 - Retaliate
Lv. 29 - Slash
Lv. 32 - Iron Defense
Lv. 35 - Night Slash
Lv. 39 - Power Trick
Lv. 42 - Iron Head
Lv. 47 - Sacred Sword

20469_artwork.png

honedge_official_art_550px.png
20470_screenshots.png

honedge_screenshot_1.png
honedge_screenshot_2.png
honedge_screenshot_3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Re: #??? - Hitotsuki

Oh I like this one! Ancient ninja sword of terror, you can't go wrong :D I'm not usually a fan of object-based Pokemon but I do like the idea of this fellow :)

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member

I know people don't like the fact it's another object-based Pokémon, but honestly the fact it's a ghostly sword more than makes up for everything. I guess it also depends on what kind of person you are too, I mean someone like me already has their imagination dreaming up some nifty ideas for how the Pokémon could be used in stories and such.

I just really like the idea behind it and I hope the games or the anime explore the history behind it. I mean why is a ghost possessing a sword? Is it that the wielder needs to take revenge on someone for something or what? It's a really, really interesting Pokémon. ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member

Demelza said:
I know people don't like the fact it's another object-based Pokémon, but honestly the fact it's a ghostly sword more than makes up for everything.
Totally agree, a ghost sword is just automatically interesting.

I might have to have one, purely to call it Enserric in honour of the talking sword from Neverwinter Nights.

At first, when I saw images of it, I thought it looked really weird, but the more images I see of Honedge, the more interesting it becomes. It sort of looks like it has a face on it with a third eye (the blue circle thing). The blue circle (if what's below it is a face) would be in the right spot to be a third eye... on more animal-like creatures' faces, it would be about where our eyebrows meet, above and between the two primary eyes. Wonder if that has something to do with it being a ghost type, there are a lot of mysterious stories surrounding things that are able to use the power of the third eye... sometimes referred to as the mind's eye. If it IS a third eye, then that might explain its power to possess anyone that handles it, such powers are not unheard of when third eyes are involved. :O

"If you were to carelessly take this blade in hand, you may find that blue cloth wrapping around you...draining the energy from your body!"

Am I the only one who thinks that will be a cool new move Honedge could learn? It could be a combination of wrap and leech life.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
snivy811 said:
"If you were to carelessly take this blade in hand, you may find that blue cloth wrapping around you...draining the energy from your body!"

Am I the only one who thinks that will be a cool new move Honedge could learn? It could be a combination of wrap and leech life.

Considering it would involve a trainer touching it? I don't think so, although I can see the anime putting an interesting spin on it for sure. :)

I think it looks really odd and I'm hoping that it get some sort of evolution with something wielding the sword or the hilt gains another "arm" because honestly it just seems too obscure and it seems too silly as well. So far the only thing jumping at me is the type apart from that it's probably my least favourite Pokemon revealed so far and unless more explanation goes into it, it will likely become one of my least favourite Pokemon ever

Hmm... I like the sword, but I wonder if maybe this sword is involved in a future Pokemon evolution? Far-fetched, I'm sure, but if Slowbro and Slowking can be formed from a Shelder biting the head of a Slowpoke, perhaps a new Kalos Pokemon can evolve by taking this sword and using it for battle. Just pure speculation here anyway.

But Ghost and Steel is an interesting type combination. The only real super effective weaknesses it has so far are Fire and Ground, unless Fairies are super effective against Ghosts anyway. Still, very interesting.

The more I look at these new Pokemon designs, I grow more acceptant about them.
Regarding Honedge, he'd probably have some kind of ability that raises stat boosting moves.
Now, If I get it, I'll have to think of a name for it.

I love Honedge's description. It makes me imagine that in medieval times someone would happen across a cool looking sword, and pick it up only to have it grab them back and start to suck their life away.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I was a little skeptical about Honedge until discovering its type. Once learning that it was a Steel/Ghost type I started loving the thing and its description simply makes me like it more. It's a great concept and I can't wait to see what the TV series, RPers, and fanfic writers do with it. I could definitely see it being a one-stager but it if does happen to evolve, I can't wait to see what the hell it evolves into. XD

This Pokemon will definitely be on my team because I mean its typing is good. It has a lot of type coverage. It just looks awesome, too. I think this Pokemon might be a pseudo-legendary. Its just my speculation but it looks like it might be one of the stronger Pokemon ever discovered.

Oh yes, I like this phantom blade, so I'm getting it! First, it's a Ghost/Steel type, a combination I've been waiting for for a long while. Second, it's a possessed sword that drains energy from you if you grab it. What could be cooler then that?

On a side note, I don't think this guy will have evolutions or pre-evos, but I could be wrong, so we'll see.

ShinyZekrom009 said:
On a side note, I don't think this guy will have evolutions or pre-evos, but I could be wrong, so we'll see.

With the Mega-Evolution's revealed, I have a feeling lil' ole Honedge here will get one.

Hmm....A lot of people don't like objects as pokemon, (ice cream anyone?) but I think that being a sword makes up for it (at least to me). Probably my favorite not evolved Pokemon as of right now.