• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

#650 - Chespin

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
650-0.png

#650 - Chespin
[type=grass][/type]

20446_info.png

Japanese Name: Harimaron
Classification: Shelled Chestnut Pokémon
Height: 0.4m / 1'04"
Weight: 9.0kg / 19.8 lbs
Egg Group: Field

20450_abilities.png

Ability: Overgrow
Hidden Ability: Bulletproof

20449_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Chespin was revealed along with the other two starters, Fennekin and Froakie, and two Legendary Pokémon, Xerneas and Yveltal, on the 8th of January, 2013 during a Pokémon Direct broadcast announcing the Gen VI games.

Additional Info: As described by Pokemon.com, "the Grass-type Pokémon Chespin has a tough shell covering its head and back. Despite having a curious nature that tends to get it in trouble, Chespin keeps an optimistic outlook and doesn't worry about small details."

20454_pokedex.png

X: The quills on its head are usually soft. When it flexes them, the points become so hard and sharp that they can pierce rock.
Y: Such a thick shell of wood covers its head and back that even a direct hit from a truck wouldn't faze it.

20453_locations.png

Chespin is one of the Kalos regions starter Pokémon.

20455_evolution.png

20489_chespin.png

Chespin evolves into Quilladin at level 16

20462_levelup.png

--- Tackle
--- Growl
Lv. 5 - Vine Whip
Lv. 8 - Rollout
Lv. 11 - Bite
Lv. 15 - Leech Seed
Lv. 18 - Pin Missile
Lv. 27 - Take Down
Lv. 32 - Seed Bomb
Lv. 35 - Mud Shot
Lv 39 - Bulk Up
Lv. 42 - Body Slam
Lv. 45 - Pain Split
Lv. 48 - Wood Hammer

20469_artwork.png

chespin_-_x_and_y 800x.png
20470_screenshots.png

chespin_marisson_igamaro_1.png
chespin_marisson_igamaro_2.png
may_p5_7.png
may_p6_2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Chespin is by far the pokemon I'm gonna pick! At the end of the game, they should let you choose one pokemon out of 15: Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Chickorita, Totodile, Torchic, (I heard u liek) Mudkip, Treecko, Chimchar, Piplup, Turtwig, Oshawott, Tepig, or Snivy. Now wouldn't that be cool? :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Typhlosion said:
At the end of the game, they should let you choose one pokemon out of 15: Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Chickorita, Totodile, Torchic, (I heard u liek) Mudkip, Treecko, Chimchar, Piplup, Turtwig, Oshawott, Tepig, or Snivy. Now wouldn't that be cool? :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that or something similar. However, since there are so many starters now I think it'd be cool if they allowed us to choose one from each of the 5 previous region trios. It would definitely be nice for newer fans. :)

And I agree regarding Chespin! As of now it's my favourite of the three new starters and most likely the one I'll choose as my first Gen 6 starter. :D

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
This little guy has become my favourite of the base forms, he really snuck up on me as I wasn't all that keen on him when I first saw him. Fennekin is a close second, so it'll all come down to the final evolutions as to who I choose in the end :)

images

;) I'm still getting him though, I may be more of a "Play with Fire" or "RAGE!!!!" Kind of Trainer, but Chespin has really caught my attention! I also enjoy the new battle format, but that doesn't go on this topic though. :up:

Fennekin and Froakie are great, but I think I will go with Chespin on whichever game I play through first. I like his design, and I'm intrigued by the possibility of him being a dual Dark type. However, I will check their evolutions before I can be absolutely sure.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've added a couple of new screenshots for Chespin, as well as Fennekin and Froakie. The more I see of this 3D art style the more I'm liking it. :)

Chespin is obviously #650 unless there's a pokemon before it like in Gen 5 with vicini. Grass starters are always first in the pokedex with the exception of Generation 5 where victini was before Snivy.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
mightymaster99 said:
Chespin is obviously #650 unless there's a pokemon before it like in Gen 5 with vicini. Grass starters are always first in the pokedex with the exception of Generation 5 where victini was before Snivy.

All of the starters are somewhat obviously numbered to be fair but we're specifically going by the official information with our numbering, hence why it hasn't been updated. Plus, yeah, while very unlikely, you never know if they will pull another Victini, so it doesn't hurt to wait for the news to drop verses assuming. :)

Wow, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I may choose a grass type starter for the first time, with the revelation of this little cutie. Plus, for an unevolved pokemon, it has a pretty nice move set. Usually, I'm a diehard water-type starter kind of person, but I like little Chespin WAY better than Froakie. (Froakie is a little freaky for my taste in pokemon.)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
TornadicTrainer96 said:
Wow, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I may choose a grass type starter for the first time, with the revelation of this little cutie. Plus, for an unevolved pokemon, it has a pretty nice move set. Usually, I'm a diehard water-type starter kind of person, but I like little Chespin WAY better than Froakie. (Froakie is a little freaky for my taste in pokemon.)

I have a feeling that Froakie will actually end up evolving into possibly the best of the three all told - but I'll almost certainly pick up a Chespin on my first go around too.

Doctor Oak said:
TornadicTrainer96 said:

I have a feeling that Froakie will actually end up evolving into possibly the best of the three all told - but I'll almost certainly pick up a Chespin on my first go around too.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that as well. Can't wait to see what the starters' evolutions look like!

I like Chespin and Chesnaught, but Quilladin... *shudders*.
Also, I just gave my Greninja Power-Up-Punch and bulldozed through the E4 and Diantha. Everything is just a bit too easy in XY.

Choosing my starter was really tough in Gen 6. Froakie is adorable and he has the best evolutions, and Fennekin is really cute too. I had to go with Chespin because he honestly looks really cute bear with a green version of the hat that Brandon has in ORAS.. So, I went with him. :D

- Only later was I to find out that Chesnaught is absolutely useless, doesn't get any good moves, and you should get him out of you party as soon as you can.. :(

Choosing my starter was really tough in Gen 6. Froakie is adorable and he has the best evolutions, and Fennekin is really cute too. I had to go with Chespin because he honestly looks really cute bear with a green version of the hat that Brandon has in ORAS.. So, I went with him. :D

- Only later was I to find out that Chesnaught is absolutely useless, doesn't get any good moves, and you should get him out of you party as soon as you can.. :(
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Chespin, I think he is like litten of Gen 7. Everybody ( not literally everybody, I like fennekin more) likes it at first but then it disapointed everyone with his evo design and bad movepool. But some of them who really like chespin still play it