• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Zoroark Event Announced for US and UK

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Zoroark, an event Pokémon from the fifth generation of Pokémon games, has been revealed for two distributions in North America and the United Kingdom.

571_zoroark.jpg
In the United Kingdom, the Zoroark is available as a distribution from GAME shops in the UK. Like many sixth generation events, it is available via a code that you can get from the till. The event runs from November 6th to November 26th. In the UK, the event is available for all sixth generation games - X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire.

In North America, it's somewhat easier: the Zoroark is available from Mystery Gift over Wi-Fi, which can be accessed from the main menu in any game. The event is available now, and ends on November 20th. In North America, the event is only available in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.[prebreak][/prebreak]

Unlike most events, the Zoroark is distributed in an Ultra Ball, not a Cherish Ball - supposedly to maintain its Illusion ability. It also knows Sludge Bomb, a move that Zoroark cannot ordinarily learn. In both regions, the Zoroark has the following stats:

Name: Zoroark
Item: None
Level: 50
Ability: Illusion
Moves: Sucker Punch, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower, Dark Pulse​

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Damn. Not bad.
But why? Nothing including Zoroark is happening lately.
The event is to commemorate a new addition to the Trading Card Game - something called BREAK Evolution. We've also got a new expansion set for the TCG to match. I know very little about the TCG, so I shall quote the official press release for you:

The Pokémon Company International welcomes its latest Pokémon Trading Card Game expansion to the franchise as well as a new BREAK Evolution game mechanic, in Pokémon TCG: XY—BREAKthrough, now available in UK stores.

Pokémon TCG: XY—BREAKthrough introduces the new BREAK Evolution game mechanic which features an HP boost and a new attack or Ability when a Pokémon evolves, and also retains its existing attacks. Pokémon BREAK cards are distinctive with a landscape design, unique foil pattern, and uniquely rendered art. Six new Pokémon BREAK cards are available in the expansion including Chesnaught BREAK and Zoroark BREAK.

[...]

Pokémon TCG: XY—BREAKthrough brings eight new Pokémon-EX including four new Mega Evolution Pokémon, plus 20 Trainer cards, complete with two full-art rare Ultra Trainer cards. Also, two new theme decks with 60 new cards, including one foil card, as well booster packs with 10 new cards in each pack, will provide the ability to increase the size and strength of your deck.

So there's that. Someone more knowledgeable than me would have to explain what exactly that all means...

November 20th is the day that Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon comes out in America...
Coincidence? I think not!
Also, the whole BREAKthrough thing sounds totally badass. I know what kinds of cards I'm looking for now!! 8)8)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The event is to commemorate a new addition to the Trading Card Game - something called BREAK Evolution. We've also got a new expansion set for the TCG to match. I know very little about the TCG, so I shall quote the official press release for you:

So there's that. Someone more knowledgeable than me would have to explain what exactly that all means...
The new Break evolution mechanic effectively takes existing cards in the set and buffs them by giving them more HP and an extra attack (they are half cards that sit over the art of an existing card). They also turn them super saiyan (gold). Zoroark is one of the featured Pokémon used to demonstrate the mechanic, which is why there's a new 3DS theme with a golden Zoroark and this Zoroark is being distributed.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I would just like to point out a correction that Zoroark is only available in ORAS in North America. I downloaded it Tuesday night on my Alpha Sapphire but on Y it said there were no gifts available. The event is only in XY and ORAS in the UK.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I would just like to point out a correction that Zoroark is only available in ORAS in North America. I downloaded it Tuesday night on my Alpha Sapphire but on Y it said there were no gifts available. The event is only in XY and ORAS in the UK.
Ahh, good catch. Fixed - thanks!

The new Break evolution mechanic effectively takes existing cards in the set and buffs them by giving them more HP and an extra attack (they are half cards that sit over the art of an existing card). They also turn them super saiyan (gold). Zoroark is one of the featured Pokémon used to demonstrate the mechanic, which is why there's a new 3DS theme with a golden Zoroark and this Zoroark is being distributed.
Holy crap.... Super Saiyan Pokémon!! That's awesome!!

Sorry, but those are fanarts. The Magnezone was made by someone called xtuart, and the gyarados by someone called dominicbrowne 14. Just right click the image, hit 'copy link', go to a new tab and paste it. They also have the illustrators' names on the card if you look.

Will this help @Mebius Kiryu?

Huh, I usually get my Pokemon news from Pokecharms, so this Break Evolution is news to me. I'd love to see and article about it, or even just a mini-update on the TCG every once in a while. I'm totally not in the universe of the TCG and it would be cool to see the perspective of someone who is. (Like the Lysandre's Trump Card being banned this June. That was huge news.) Do you have any article writers or staff that are versed in this field?

I dont really understand this event.
It knows pretty usual moves
Zoura can be found on rout 101 on ORAS after defeating/capturing Groudon or Kyogre.
Zoroark can be encountered in the Pokemon village on XY.
And they can be shifted over
Can anyone explain?
images

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I dont really understand this event.
It knows pretty usual moves
Zoura can be found on rout 101 on ORAS after defeating/capturing Groudon or Kyogre.
Zoroark can be encountered in the Pokemon village on XY.
And they can be shifted over
Can anyone explain?
images
They give out all sorts of stuff, especially in Japan. But the reason is actually given in the comment thread above - they're promoting a TCG expansion :)