• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Pokecharms

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
You'll surely be aware by now that 2009 is set to be a year of change for Pokecharms. The new layout and incorporation of the forums within the main site is just the start of it and there are some nice little things planned for the coming year that'll be up when I have the spare time to work on them.

To cover what's publicly confirmed to be coming up, we've got the new Pokedex that'll be a vast improvement on the original with plenty of new features; the Staff Showcase area will be completely revamped and properly 'completed' that will give visitors access to a massively varied array of material unique to Pokecharms and the Trainer Card Maker will be receiving another upgrade - and hopefully we'll get back to regular updates to it as well.

What hasn't been announced so far is the emphasis on you, the average Pokecharms member, that we plan to put greater focus on this year. There'll be a lot more options open to you as a member of the site and hopefully, by the end of the year being a member here will be more to you than simply being able to reply to topics like this.

In that vein, I'd like to ask you what you'd like to see as a new, or upgraded feature on the site throughout the year. Every reccomendation will be appraised and considered, but it's no guarantee that they'll be put in place... mmmmk?

If you're reading this on the main page and haven't the FOGGIEST how you're meant to reply to that question, click on "Write Comment" below this post, if you're not a member of Pokecharms already you'll have to sign up to reply - but that's probably for the best as you wont be able to take full advantage of all the fun things we've got in store for you if you don't. :p

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I mentioned this before, but the only thing I'd like to see is an update to the profiles. I think enabling members to give a few facts about themselves would help 'break the ice' in some cases. It might help us all realise what we have in common, even if it's just stuff like:

Favourite Pokemon:
Favourite Anime/Manga:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Agreed with Magpie here.

Also, I know that usually, only Mods and Admins can have that little sub-title under their name, plus a few other members here (like mine is laser fan-atic, and others have stuffs under their name as well, like Taryn/Ryn, Rocket X/aReX/RX/Hax, Midnight Shadows, Arte, and a few others), and I know in the past I remember someone telling me something along the lines of it was something nice you mods and admins liked that kept you guys unique or whatever from the rest of the community, but I know many members here probably want that as well. I know the space beneath the avatar also have that sort of thing, but it just doesn't really seemed to be used for "custom titles" anymore.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Also, I know that usually, only Mods and Admins can have that little sub-title under their name, plus a few other members here (like mine is laser fan-atic, and others have stuffs under their name as well, like Taryn/Ryn, Rocket X/aReX/RX/Hax, Midnight Shadows, Arte, and a few others), and I know in the past I remember someone telling me something along the lines of it was something nice you mods and admins liked that kept you guys unique or whatever from the rest of the community, but I know many members here probably want that as well. I know the space beneath the avatar also have that sort of thing, but it just doesn't really seemed to be used for "custom titles" anymore.

Personally, I like it how it is, especially since it can be abused for forum contests and such. Just a nice little thing to give to members who earned their custom titles x3

So, as much as some people might want that option, I vote "no" on it changing. XD

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I agree on that front. The instant everyone can use them they become pointless. (Afterall, everyone has space for personal text alongside their user-data on their posts anyway).

There will be more customisation and stuff available to users in the future - but that wont be one of them, no matter how great the demand.

Second on the Custom title thing.

Do you know what I would like? Someone other than me posting news. As much as I like to post news, I can't be the only one posting news. This may be more of a staff thing though.

As for the profile page, more customization. And probably more skins for use on the forums. Though those two options will be coming later, methinks.

C

Celadon

How about a "You have been made a mod for a day" contest? XD

I agree with Silver Magpie, though. Things like "favourite Manga", "Favourite Anime" and "Favourite Pokemon" etc., does help in bringing a community together. So I recommend that you put such features onto a member's profile.

You can also give spriters and artists the power to remove SPAM from their threads. But that is just a thought.

You can also give spriters and artists the power to remove SPAM from their threads. But that is just a thought.
I think that the only way you can do that is to make said member a mod of the 'Pit' (as it's now called :p), or the subforum. I don't think you can make a person a mod of their own thread.

And that wouldn't be so great, having loads of mods in the art forum :p

At least, thats the only way I can think of doing it from a SMF admin's point of view, anyway.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I mentioned this before, but the only thing I'd like to see is an update to the profiles. I think enabling members to give a few facts about themselves would help 'break the ice' in some cases. It might help us all realise what we have in common, even if it's just stuff like:

Favourite Pokemon:
Favourite Anime/Manga:

I think that would clutter things beyond what they already are in the profiles... When editing/creating one's profile I think it's rather messy to see a list of 22 Friend Code entry lists, especially considering most of them are of no relation to Pokemon whatsoever.

I DO like Magpie's idea, I'd just like to offer my own suggestion spawned from it: Make an area for text in one's profile where they can type anything in. A description of themselves, rogue friend codes, or their dedication to wielding fish-based weapons.

At the same time, I think a lot of the extra FC spaces on the profile, namely the non-pokemon games, should be removed. They could be included in the area I mentioned above if anyone wished to share them.