• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your least favorite thing about the pokemon games (PMD too)

Well, you can tell what it's about from the title. What is your absolute least favorite thing about the pokemon games? It can be from any of the pokemon games, including PMD. My least favorite thing about the pokemon games:

1. The pokemon that "flee" immediately when you go up to them. I always waste my time using pokeradar for 3 freaking hours until I find it.
2. Unobtainable without cheating or using an event pokemon. Why bother making them?
3. In PMD, those dungeons that start you at level 1. I really wasn't focusing, so after clicking the a button, I found to my horror that I had a level 1 Marowak (busted my ass training him too)

The fact that nearly all of them have the EXACT SAME BASE STORYLINE.
1. Evil organization tries to take over the world. Check.
2. Evil organization uses a powerful Pokemon to achieve their goal. Check.
3. Heroic child (you) that saves the world from the evil organization. Check.
4. Uber legendary Pokemon that the player can catch. Check.

Seriously, this is getting old... but at least it's a tolerable fault.

I hate the fact that there's multi type starters. Like Piplup's last form is Water/Steel. I think they should go back to the single type starters for the 5th Generation, and better Legendaries. more Dragon types ;D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I hate the fact that there's multi type starters. Like Piplup's last form is Water/Steel. I think they should go back to the single type starters for the 5th Generation, and better Legendaries. more Dragon types ;D

But... the only gen that had all three final stage starters as a single type was gen 2. Gen 1 had Charizard and Venusaur. Kinda hard to expect them to "go back" to a tradition that doesn't actually exist. ^^;

I'd also like to point out that RBY doesn't really focus on a really powerful legendary in the same way as the most recent games, as mewtwo was only obtainable once you'd completed the game. GSC wasn't completely legendary based either although it was moreso in comparison to RBY. Gen 3 and 4 have been the major "we need legendaries" games and personally its the part of the storyline I hate. I'd much rather see in gen 5 it being about just being a trainer that beats an evil organisation like a company rather than actually being this massive hero that has to save space and time.

My least favourite parts of the game are the ridiculousness of battle tower with its haxing, and the sheer amount of legendaries we get. Obviously there will be legends wherever you go, but its a bit much. I'd really like for them to be caught but then you release them as part of the storyline, a bit like in the manga when characters occasionally pair up with legendaries etc.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Hmm...I'm not really sure where to start here - there's nothing I generally dislike about the Pokemon games that has been consistent with all four generations, so I'll go for what I disliked most about each one individually:

Gen I: Hmm...my main issue with Gen I (which they did fix for Gen II luckily) was the player's bag. At the end of the day, having all your items in just one slot was a complete mess, and this was something that I noticed very quickly when playing through Pokemon Red for the first time. Another issue was with the Psychic-type imbalance which was not only absolutely ridiculous in terms of gameplay, but also because the anime itself had said that Psychic-types were weak to Ghost-types, and in the games it was the exact opposite - Ghost-type moves, bar Night Shade, did 0 damage to Psychic-types, and the Ghosts would suffer super effective damage from the Psychics due to their secondary Poison-type.

Gen II: My main grudge with Gen II, to be honest, is with the internal battery dying as it stands right now, but since that doesn't really count I'm going to overlook it for this. There isn't really anything I greatly disliked about Gen II, aside from the Kanto Gym Leaders, and pretty much the whole of Kanto in general, felt like it was just tagged on the give the game extra longevity. Hell, you couldn't even see the Kanto Leaders' badges on the player status menu, which just goes to show how significant the developers considered that part of the game. Kanto needed a lot more work done on it, since it made for a very disappointing conclusion to an otherwise amazing generation.

Gen III: The downgraded time function was a major disappointment for me as far as Gen III was concerned, as it was a major step backwards from what Gen II provided in that area. My main issue with Gen III however comes from its difficulty, or lack thereof - Groudon and Kyogre are capable of completely devastating the Elite Four by themselves, and Emerald lets you grab a lv 70 Rayquaza before facing the Elite Four. Put simply, there was nothing "elite" about the Elite Four in R/S/E, unless you hadn't bothered catching Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza beforehand, and even then they weren't any harder than the Elite Four from the previous generations.

FR/LG removed the internal clock completely - this I did not like at all, especially after what R/S/E did with the internal clock. Now granted, the clock didn't exist in Gen I, but that's no reason to remove it completely here, especially since FR/LG were clearly quite different from the originals in Gen I anyway, and deliberately so.

Colosseum and XD made up for Gen III's general lack of difficulty, however I did not like the way Colosseum practically forced you to grind your levels up if you had more than 2 team members, since that isn't adding to the difficulty in a good way, that's adding to it in a lazy and tedious way. XD made up for it by being considerably kinder than Colosseum whilst providing a good challenge nonetheless.

Gen IV: Gen IV was a major step in the right direction from Gen III - it was a much better challenge, the internal clock was back again, and it just generally looked like more care had gone into its development. However, my biggest grudge with Diamond/Pearl is the abysmally slow Surf speed - who in the world thought that this was a good idea? Evidenly, that person was fired prior to Platinum's release, since the Surf speed was returned to normal in Platinum.

My second problem is the absurd amount of legendaries. Heatran was a pointless addition, and so was Shaymin - neither of them have any real role besides wasting space in the Pokedex, especially since in Shaymin's case, Manaphy was already there as the "cute" legendary...which brings me onto Phione, which is the most useless waste of space in the entire Pokedex. Phione did not need to exist at all, especially since it effectively exists to be ignored in favour of Manaphy.

Finally, something that RLRL touched on, is the stupidity of Battle Tower's hax. Whether it be Focus Band triggering twice in a row, horrendous abuse of Double Team, an insane number of Wobbuffets and general Quick Claw/BrightPowder stupidity, Battle Tower is just plain ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if this happened only occasionally, but this happens ALL THE TIME. Again, this just comes down to the developers being lazy with the challenge of the game as far as I'm concerned. I don't care that much about hax, but relying on it as much as Battle Tower does is just ridiculous.

My main complaints with Battle Revolution is that the Stadium games were better than it was, due to them allowing you to do more within the game (battling in-game characters, mini-games etc.) Also, Battle Rev. is guilty of using Double Team all the time, just like Battle Tower - if they've put in Sleep Clause, would it have killed them to stick Evasion Clause in the game too? Next, both Neon Colosseum and Sunset Colosseum are vile, with each relying on pure luck and pure hax respectively, and with the amount of hax the CPUs get on Sunset Colosseum, I get the feeling that "Sunhax Colosseum" would have been a far more appropriate name for it. Just to wrap it all up...why does Battle Rev. Wi-Fi permit the use of Ubers? Battle Tower forbids them, why doesn't Battle Revolution? Overall, Battle Rev. seemed very rushed, and it's obvious that very little care went into its development.

I HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTEEEEEE gen. IV. Where did Manaphy come from? Movie 9, with May. So... Manaphy should have been a Gen. III Pokemon. As well I can't complete the National Dex because of the cheat or event Pokemon because where I live doesn't have events. I don't have Action Replay, either. So I hate Gen. IV. Let's hope Gen. V is better!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTEEEEEE gen. IV. Where did Manaphy come from? Movie 9, with May. So... Manaphy should have been a Gen. III Pokemon. As well I can't complete the National Dex because of the cheat or event Pokemon because where I live doesn't have events. I don't have Action Replay, either. So I hate Gen. IV. Let's hope Gen. V is better!

... Have you been playing any of the previous generations? There's always been event Pokemon... XD

And Manaphy being in gen 4 is no different than Lugia being in gen 2. Or Latios and Latios being in gen 3. It's how the Anime movies work! I'd think you'd have guessed that by now if you follow 'em :p

I'd say I was thinking the amount of legendaries absurd too, but I'm really not. If you think about it in terms of real world, China has lots of legends, as does Japan. Italy has some, but I don't think numerically, it matches up to China or Japan. So... saying a Pokemon region has too many legendaries is like saying China and Japan have too many legends. I hope that helped.

Anyway, my gripes are small ones.
-Bag space in Gen I
-Loss of internal clock (day/night cycles) in Gen III and FR/LG
-Strangely, I didn't care much for the 3-D effect of D/P/Pt. It's neat, I suppose, but the old style reminded me of the quality SNES games, and there's a lot you can do to expand on that style.

Personally I think they should give you more options with the main story line the one way tract is getting kind of annoying and lets not forget about dressing up your Pokemon it really doesn't give you much base variety you have only the front side to work with and lets face it who would ever put fuzz on a Pokemon?

I hate how you always have to look like the main character in the game, it should be like battle revolution where you can make your own trainer. I also DESPISE ev training and natures as it takes so long to get the right one..heck I even just made a topic about this lol

Same answer as in the most annoying thread, the huge rocket bases to go through in g1+2.

Also the legendaries have gotten out of hand.I like how in g1 there was one and then three minors, one became two in g2 which was ok.

Then I come back to the game in g3 and there are 3 main and 5 minor, and that doesn't include Deoxys.

In g4 most of the legendaries were pointless. One think I couldn't understand when they made Platinum was how you needed an event Regigigas to get the three Regi's to get another Regigigas which was for some reason Lvl1. The way from DP was better.

I hate how they changed fly. And now it looks like some form of evil black bird comes and eats you then fly's off. It was alot better in ruby/sapphire/emerald. Fly was cooool then.

What really annoys me right now, is the lack of a possibility to skip through your items.
It was a welcome change in gen II with the seperate bag slots, but right now it still takes oh so goddamn long to find one item.And I really dont like this wheel that you use with your Stylo. Its not a good solution.
Another thing that I dont like is, is that they force you to use the Stylo.
Like when you use the GTS and have to tap onto the players that pop up~

The lack of good training spots is kinda weird too. Gymleaderbuldingthing+Top4 all over is boring, and dont get me started on the battle Tower. Im still farming for Earthquake D:

I have one question: Why does every game end up with you saving the world? Why can't it just be like Kanto, where you stop Team Rocket, and become Champion? It should be more simple. Saving Time & Space is getting kinda old...

I'll go through Generations... though I'll skip Gen. I, 'cause I never played through it.

Gen. II - I never really played all the way through my Silver, because the interenal battery died. Now, I don't know if that counts here, so I'll skip it. Nothing really bugged me anout Gen II. I liked that your mom saved money so when you needed to shop for the E4 you were ready. I loved the red Gyrados, one of my favorite shinies. But the main thing that bugged me was the summary screen for Pokemon. Not sure what it is, it just annoyed me. Couldn't they show a little bit more about tht Pokemon? I always wondered this.

Gen. III - Was my first generation. So, at first I couldn't really tell how much of a step down it was from II. Until I played Gen II...

R/S/E - OK, so there is time, and time is counted (until you hit 999:99 hours of game play.), but there is no change in sunlight from 12PM to 12AM. It looks exactly the same. Graphics were a little step up from Gen. II, but it still wasn't too impressive. Overall, Hoenn is my favorite region. I just wish they would have done more with it. Out of the 3, Emerald would have to be the one that kept me ocupied more. With the E4 being pushovers, (another thing that annoyed me...) the Battle Frontier makes up for that. To this day, I only have one Symbol. That is because I spent a long time training my Ellie (Electrode), and it disapeared when I did the cloning glitch. I cried, and cried, and cried. I still miss you Ellie!

Fr/Lg - The only flaw here is the lack of the internal battery. Same as RSE. However, I love everything about this game. (Except the lack of good E4 training places...) The Elite 4 were a good challenge compared to Hoenn.

Gen. IV - The one thing that is missing in these games, is the dang PC item storage! It takes far to long to go through my entire bag. I was thinking of letting my Pokemon hold the items in my PC, so that I can get them should I ever need them, but it would be so much easier with the item storage.

BP is too hard to get. I don't have time to go through and get 80BP just to get one TM of Earthquake! {This is where Wifi comes in handy...}

The capture rate for Diagla and Palkia in Platinum was far to easy. I caught them by only using 5 Ultra Balls total. WTH! I bought over 100 balls, and was rady for a good fight, and I caught them so easily! Dang. I should have SR'd for a shiny if I knew it was going to be so easy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, the one thing that bugged me about Pokemon is the items. There is so many of them! We need a place to put them, so pray that HGSS will have the item storage back!

I don't see why 80BP is too difficult to get...

3 for first and second round.
20 for third round

Thats 26 there already, do one more round so you can get up to 30 BP then if you don't fancy picking it up at 4 for the next coupld of rounds then just lose on purpose on that round, and go back to the start. I used to get to about 30 wins in a couple of hours when I was trying to get my 100 win streak. All you need is a good starmie with surf, ice beam, thunderbolt, recover and an expert belt. Wipes the floor with the tower tycoon.

I actually really miss the really long TR bases, them being so small in gens 3 and 4 is annoying. Although I completely agree with the fact that the storylines are getting too epic. Lets scale down to just being happy trainers again ^_^

I don't see why 80BP is too difficult to get...

3 for first and second round.
20 for third round

Thats 26 there already, do one more round so you can get up to 30 BP then if you don't fancy picking it up at 4 for the next coupld of rounds then just lose on purpose on that round, and go back to the start. I used to get to about 30 wins in a couple of hours when I was trying to get my 100 win streak. All you need is a good starmie with surf, ice beam, thunderbolt, recover and an expert belt. Wipes the floor with the tower tycoon.

I actually really miss the really long TR bases, them being so small in gens 3 and 4 is annoying. Although I completely agree with the fact that the storylines are getting too epic. Lets scale down to just being happy trainers again ^_^

Yeah I always fight 21 battles then I reset. But still. 80BP for earthquake. I need it ~3 times (ok 2 times, I havent taken the one from the cave), Choice Items,Flame Orb, Stone Edge, EV Items (only have 2 so far)
This sure is going to take some time :/

I'm intruiged by your team requiring 3 pokémon with EQ, if its just for battle tower I'd say you need one special attacker, one physical attacker, and a good sponge or wall. I got through with Skarmoury, Aerodactyl and Starmie, 105 wins, cut it close a few times but still managed it eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
it isnt just for one team, and it isnt just for the battle tower. Im building a competetive team, so I keep switching pokemon in and out all the time to try them out.

and I dont think that the first 21 lvls of the tower are hard. they just take sooo long and are very boring~
Havent tried more though.

It just isnt fun!

I would say the bag space in all games except Generation IV, but I hate how there isn't an item PC box in it. Also it's kind of annoying to look for things in your bag, unlike Generation II.

A couple other things I hate:
-why must all starters be fire/water/grass type? I'd love to see a larvitar or a dratini as a starter...
- the fact that you probably can't make bigger,better legendaries for Gen IV.
-events. I don't want to cheat with an AR or Gameshark, but I missed the event.
-trading pokemon to evolve. This is a bit better with GTS, but it's not so great getting a Kadabra named "FatAss". Aaargh...

my least favorite thing is when you have to get the pokedex from Rowan. The game might be better without the pokedex. I also hate it when your pokemon decide to be stupid when using metronome.

Y'know... I have to chime in that I've never really liked the way the engaging-ness of the game seems to peeter out and die as soon as you beat the Elite Four. You get your Pokemon up to an arbitrary level like 45-60, and then you sweep those four and...
And you're done.

Second-gen tried to fix this with Kanto, which I -loved- at the time, even though it wasn't nearly enough. FRLG tried to fix this with the Sevii Islands, which were fun but really, really quick to breeze through. And for RSE and DP, you just train your Pokemon up for the Frontier.
I'm prolly alone in this, but I... I have a hard time staying engaged with the Frontier. There's no story there. There's no plotline. You can't use your favorite Pokemon (unless, of course, you're lucky, and your favorite is Salamence or Swampert and not something like my dear Meowth, who can't really stand its ground, bless its heart, against an opponent's maxed-out Steelix) and you have to go through the (to me ^^()) tedius process of upping the little stat-numbers for a select group of monsters so you can win Battle Points for the point of winning Battle Points.
Nya. *whiiiiiiine*

I'd love, just once, for their to be an equal amount of compelling plot on both sides of the E4. Maybe becoming Chapion triggers an event! The world isn't safe yet! There's some more untraversed world to explore! Professor Oak is in danger, the balance of the world might be upset, a fiendish cult has gathered outside the Pokemon League and is demanding a random in exchange for your Arbitrary Rival! Go forth, young hero, and be kept busy for another handful of hours. :p

I agree. You go beat the elite 4, watch credits, get on a boat, do the battle frontier. Other than heatran, there is no storyline at all. And you can get through that in fifteen minutes. I would like more story. It would be cool if maybe you would start in one region, and end in another. You'd get double the play time.

Or a game which included all regions, and you could chose which one you started in O.O
but i guess thats asking for too much haha ^.^

I hate the runners its soooooooo...annoying chasing them for half an hour it gets old. I also hate all the events all the coolest Pokemon you have to get from an event what if you live in a small town you can't go to an event because there isn't a store that the event is at in your town... :'(

The fact that nearly all of them have the EXACT SAME BASE STORYLINE.
1. Evil organization tries to take over the world. Check.
2. Evil organization uses a powerful Pokemon to achieve their goal. Check.
3. Heroic child (you) that saves the world from the evil organization. Check.
4. Uber legendary Pokemon that the player can catch. Check.

Seriously, this is getting old... but at least it's a tolerable fault.
This is pretty much my complaint as well, but as the good doctor said, it's a tolerable fault. The Pokémon games are, above all, a form of entertainment, and if there's one rule you don't break in the entertainment business it's don't fix what isn't broken. By the numbers coming in the standard Pokémon game formula isn't broken at all.

That said, the goals of the teams have gotten more and more grandiose. Team Rocket? They're just the mafia. Team Aqua/Magma? They want to rearrange the nature of the planet. Team Galactic? They want to destroy the universe and create a new one. I mean what more is there for an evil team to do? I thought Team Galactic was different enough that they stood out on there own (then again I never really played Ru/S/E), but I don't think they can come up with a team that tops Galactic in terms of what they want to accomplish story-line wise.
Ideally I think the next batch of games (Gen V, not the HG and SS games) should just go back to Team Rocket, but not have the story revolve around them. Just have them be something that's there in the background, sort of like a side-quest you can do if you so desire.

Other then the game structure, the thing that gets me the most about the Pokémon games is some of the post-evolution new Pokémon.
Like Scizor. What was wrong with Scyther? I loved that guy. And if they were going to give us Scizor, why not just make Heracross the evolved form of Pinsir?
The worst offenders, however, are Magmortar, Electivire, Tangrowth, Magnezone, Rhyperior, and Lickilicky. There was no need to have evolved forms of Magmar, Electabuzz, Tangela, Magneton, Rhydon, and Lickitung.

Last edited by a moderator: