• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Favorite Ice-Types?

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Ice type is my favorite type, so I'm interested to see other people's opinion on them. :D

My personal favorites are Glaceon(favorite eeveelution, btw), Glalie, Castform Hail form, Speal, and the gen VI Aurora and Aurorus. :D

So tell me, what are your favorites?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Glaceon for sure! It's also my favorite Eeveelution, design-wise, and shiny Glaceons look even better. ♥ I've always liked Glaceon the most since it was introduced, even if it might not fare as well competitively against some of the other Eeveelutions. It's just really cute~

I also really like Froslass, Vanillite, Sealeo, Dewgong, and Weavile. Aurorus is also rather pretty, though I haven't really seen enough of it to make much of an opinion about it yet.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
461_zps2ab07ba3.gif

Weavile is my favourite Ice-Type, not much withstands an Ice Punch and Ice Shard to the face (or it didn't, Gen V wasn't overly friendly to dear Weavile) xD I originally disliked Weavile quite strongly, although I can't quite recall why now. But then, due to a fun round of Battle Factory with @Linkachu I changed my opinion. Nearish the start of out Battle Factory attempt, my choice of rental Pokemon was very poor and the only viable choice was Weavile, so I picked it begrudgingly and ended up loving the thing. I liked the back sprite and it kicked serious ass. One featured on my competitive team ever since. Empire was my Gen IV Weavile and then my newer Gen V Weavile became known as Zenith. He's awesome.

Other than Weavile I can't say I'm overly fond of any other Ice-Type. Lapras is great but that's about it, and Articuno was my favourite Legendary Bird back in the days of Red and Blue. Aurorus interests me greatly too, so it gets an honourable mention! My teams usually suffer from a terrible Ice-Type weakness, so maybe I'm just biased against them xD

My favorite Ice types?

Jynx and Lapras are original favorites of mine. I had a lot of fun using Jynx way back in Silver and she pretty much demolished Lance and Claire so good times there. The Orange Island arc of the anime made me really like Lapras and it's one of my favorite Pokemon period.

Sneasel and Weavile are probably my favorite ice types overall because I really like their sleek design. I used to hate Froslass until I used her competitively in Gen IV and realized that it was actually pretty good. Candice's Froslass can feel free to suffocate in a Heatran though (to use Smogon's words). Mamoswine is a low key favorite as well.

Jynx all the way, yo. I have a soft spot for Psychic types, and Jynx is just so ridiculous that it's hard not to like her. I especially love how she was animated in Stadium - when she fainted, she disappeared into her hair.

That said, I actually really dislike Smoochum for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

Glalie has a soft spot in my heart. Fell in love with the design back in Ruby and he's been my favorite Ice-type since then. There's just something about a giant flocking hockey mask made of ice that tugs on my heartstrings!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Mamoswine is a low key favorite as well.
!!! I forgot about Mamoswine, Mamoswine would easily be my second favourite Ice-Type xD I'm not a fan of Swinub and Piloswine but there's something about Mamoswine that catches my attention and it's great competitively in certain situations. Ice Shard from one was the bane of my Sceptile's existence on many occasions xD

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Good grief, there's going to be a Favorite X-Type thread for every sodding type, now, isn't there? <<;

Ah well. In no particular order, again...

Lapras

It's an adorable plesiosaurid with a shell that lives in cetacean-like pods and communicates by pseudo-whalesong - and not only that, but it's also fairly usable - I'm rather enjoying the diversity of moves Lapras can run around with. I am quite fond of the things, yes indeed. Lapras is another one of those iconic creatures - it's been around since Gen 1, available in virtually every generation except 3 (unless you count FR/LG), made multiple appearances in both the Anime and Origins as one of the protagonist's team members (I've always been rather confused at the anime's tendency to associate them with more tropical climes, though. Ah well, stranger things have happened before) - and though I highly doubt it will, I'm kind of hoping the thing will get a Mega Evolution at some point... Probably wishful thinking, but Mega Lapras would be amazing.

Abomasnow

It may be my bias towards grass types, but I have a bit of an appreciation for the fuzzy conifer yeti. I'm rather fond of Grass/Ice as a concept (though it rarely ever ends up being useful. Fire-types and all, le sigh) and the design, while rather WTF at first grew on me once I drew it in a more creature-y manner. I admit though - I've never actually gotten the chance to train one of the things. They've always been too stupidly late game for me. Someday I should probably pokesav myself a team of stuff I always wanted to train and never got around to and actually give it a shot...

Mamoswine

Another case of derp in official art but utterly awesome in my head, there's a lot to be said for some kind of bizarre primeval Überpig incorporating elements of glacial age wooly megafauna (fun fact: the word 'Mammoth' derives from Russian, meaning 'Earth Horn' - reasonable considering the thing were found buried underground and under ice - which makes it even more appropriate for Mamoswine). Plus, with that attack stat, HP and defense... The thing's a monster. Really.

Walrein

While I definitely prefer Lapras as far as Water/Ice goes, I always felt the Spheal line was the superior pinniped to the Seel line - and besides, look at this thing. IT'S A GOD DAMN WALRUS. That's all there is to say about it. Walruses are badass.

Honorable mentions:

Sneasel/Weavile: I've always liked Sneasel, though something seriously bothered me about that asymmetrical design - an issue that Weavile fixed (albeit in the process it gave the thing a fan of hair that Londo Mollari would be proud of). The things are pretty damn powerful as well - but I don't think I ever really trained one, now that you mention it.

Jynx: Okay, so they're incredibly silly-looking official-art-ways - but I've always thought of them as some kind of terrifying snow banshees... and as it turns out they're literally based on the Yama-uba of Japanese Mythology and assorted portrayals of it in Noh theater, so... not that far off, I guess! Incidentally, I used one in SoulSilver once and holy shit, the things are monsters. xD

Glalie: In the immortal words of a certain Katie, DEMONFLOATINGHEAD! The sodding thing cracks me up, but its description/lore paint a much less amusing image for the thing - basically, it's not something you'd like to meet in a dark alley unless you're packing a BFG9000. I can appreciate it, but it's not a favorite.

Froslass: Froslass' design confused me for a while, until I realized that much like her counterpart, Froslass too is a DEMONFLOATINGHEAD - the entire body is concentrated in the head (that's why those hand-ears!) and the 'body' is a hollow bell-shaped projection - like a tail, or a mantle of some sort. That made me appreciate it a bit more. Stats-ways it also seems pretty nice - but again, not a species I ever actually trained.

Articuno: Actually, Articuno is one of my absolute favorite Ice-types, but I didn't include it in the list because it's a legendary and legendaries do not really count. Not only it is utterly gorgeous, but I'm also fond of the mythology around it - its connection to the weather as well as its tendency to appear before those lost in frozen mountains. The legends vary and Articuno has been portrayed in assorted works as either leading people out of danger or serving as a final 'kiss of death' to those completely doomed, "saving" them in a different, darker way. Just another lovely bit of Pokémon mythology. ^^

Last edited:

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
My favourite ice types? I s'pose I'll list my top six! :')
Froslass, Articuno, Jynx, Lapras and Cloyster. <333

Why? Because they're all kick-ass, man.
I mean like, radically bodacious. I love 'em. :'D

Now, I've already expressed my love for Cloyster and Lapras in the "Favorite Water Types" thread, but here are some others I am fond of:

Sneasel/Weavile: This Pokemon is a speedy attacker, that's for sure. Plus, I just like how it looks. I like Weavile far more than Sneasel appearance-wise, though.

Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein: This little creature is adorable, for one thing. Also, I've grown very fond of it after it has helped me out so much in Pokemon XD. My only gripe is that the only Water-Type move it learns is Water Gun, and while can learn HM moves such as Surf or Waterfall, these were not available in Pokemon XD. However, I still adore this Pokemon very much.

Cryogonal: Yes, it is a living snowflake. I actually like this idea, however. Plus, holy Sp. Def! And its Speed is pretty good, too. Yes, I do very much like this thing. (Also, I really liked the look of the Shiny version of this, and hope to obtain it someday).

Black Kyurem: It is an evil ice dragon with Zekrom's powers. Need I say more?

Yes, this list is smaller than some I've made, but that's because there's only 37 Ice-Type Pokemon in existence. :p

My favorite Ice-Types?

Weavile - I've used it, and it was a fun ride to be on. It beat Cynthia's Garchomp in Platinum despite being under-leveled at Lv. 50

Glaceon - It it a tank, and a good one at that. I also taught it great Ice moves that gave massive S.T.A.B. boosts and it wrecks everything!

Froslass
- An Ice/Ghost is a great combination. Just add Hail, Blizzard, Shadow Ball, a Ground-Type move if you can, and a Quick Claw. Now you have an amazing Ice/Ghost that's fast and can deal large amounts of damage.

Mamoswine
- One of my White 2 team members. It's slow, but it worth training because it also wrecks everything with Ice moves and Ground moves. I recommend Ice Beam and Earthquake if you want huge damage and 100% accuracy.

Snow-Form Castform
- This one grew on me a lot in Ruby. It's pretty and if you keep Hail, re-learn Weather Ball, and buy Blizzard at Lilycove Department store, it will be a great Ice-Type for you. Besides, you've passed all of Castform' Normal and Ice weaknesses, and for the Champion Steven Stone, use it for his Cradily(Grass/Rock) and, if you want to, his Armaldo(Bug/Rock). His other Pokemon are pure Steel-Type or part Steel-Type.

The one that didn't make the list, but was close to was Lapras and Articuno. The second great HP tank, Lapras, didn't have enough to make it a fabulous Ice type in my opinion. Yes, it can take out one of Ice's weaknesses, Fire(being Water/Ice), and it is the second best HP tank, but that's it. Articuno is my favorite Legendary Bird because it's very pretty, yet that's it for this Ice/Flying Pokemon.

Ice type is my favorite type, so I'm interested to see other people's opinion on them. :D

My personal favorites are Glaceon(favorite eeveelution, btw), Glalie, Castform Hail form, Speal, and the gen VI Aurora and Aurorus. :D

So tell me, what are your favorites?
hmm lets see i will count top 10 here so that i can decide better number 10 would be jynx because its movepool is not the worst ( not that it would be too great neither) and its typing is unique + its from 1th gen and that nostalgia is something.

number 9 would be walrein because it was one of the worse new pokemons that came in ruby/sapphire/emerald BUT it became pretty good staller with abomasnow and ice body.

number 8 is dewgong because there only was 5 ice types in 4th gen and i think that dewgong was better than jynx but not as good as the other ice types in 1th gen

number 7 lapras is average because of the thunderbolt it can take down most of water types that it has to go against and it has decent defenses and hp + it is so cute

number 6 is frosslass because Froslass is a pretty good Pokémon, The only Ghost type who can set up Spikes makes it worth considering.

number 5 glalie i dont know why it is not even too good but theres something that i like about this pokemon.

number 4 is abomasnow/mega abomasnow are really good both offensive and defensive side (especially mega) but the lack of speed makes it so that it cant get any higher here.

number 3 : regiice is one of my favorite 3th gen pokemons because its good defense and AMAZING special defense but .... when stealth rocks where introduced regiice fell down many floors. despite its great defenses if it takes quarter of its health every time it comes back to field it wont last too long :(

number 2 is kyurem because it has really large move pool and its typing is unique! besides it is really good when it is used with reshiram/zekrom and it becomes kyurem black or white + it looks so cool

AND THE BEST ICE TYPE THAT I CANT THINK OF IS : cloyster the nostalgia +cool sprite+great defenses+spikes+rapid spin+ shell smash with skill link ability and rock blast and ice spear is just something!
so my favorite ice types were there and 1 pokemons hares number one spot with cloyster and it is mamoswine. this one i dont even have to explain :D

My favorite Ice types are Glaceon and Cloister! :love: Clioster is just a boss and has really high defense! As for Glaceon, it's just the coolest pokemon! (Literally!)

I liked this type for a long time. One of my favourites. Of course, Lapras is my favourite Ice type because it's so strong, kind, and that part in the Adventures manga where Pryce saw his Lapras and it's parents really made me cry.
I also like Jynx. Has my favourite types in one.
I also like Vaniluxe.
And of course, I love Weavile too. It's the head of my Platinum team, and it beat Cynthia's Garchomp in one shot by outspeeding it and Ice Punching.
I like Piloswine, too. I just sometimes like Pokemon in which hair is covering their eyes. He looks like an old man to me :p

For Ice Types Glaceon easily wins it for me, mainly since I'm a fan of foxes & the Eeveelutions. Cute Icy Fox.
I also like Sneasel and Weavile, as I also like mustelids.

Okay, so my absolute favorite Ice-tpe has to be Froslass.

Simply because it was my favorite after I played Platinum for the first time, and Snorant ( though I wasn't fond of it at first, because the Glalie my friend had, had murdered my whole team) still is one of the cutest little things I have ever seen.

And Froslass is just awesome, i can't even.

My favourite Ice-type Pokemon are: Spheal, Cubchoo, Kyurem and Amaura.

Spheal, Cubchoo and Amaura are all adorable looking Pokemon. :)
Kyurem, because of its design and ability to fuse with Zekrom or Reshiram.

Ice huh?
It has to be Weavile!
I was always fond of Weaviles design!
It's also a good Pokemon which can defeat many strong Pokemon
I am also fond of fast Pokemon

Admin edit: Please do not post random unsourced fan art unless you are the artist.

Glaceon: It's strong and has a cool design.
Cubchoo: A bear with a runny nose. Cute and disgusting.
Spheal: It's an adorable circle!
Rotom (Ice): It's a fridge, a creepy fridge...
Weavile: Strong and has a cool design and I like it's typing.
Amaura and Aurorus: Both are elegant and I've liked them and had them on my team for a while in X.

And I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but... The whole Vanillite line because, IT'S FUCKING ICE CREAM.

I love Weavile, because it's part dark type, and also look at those CLAWS; and Aurorus, part of my team in X, because there's nothing more satisfying than an Ice-type Hyper Beam in a Dragon's face (because Refrigerate MWAHAHAHAHA).
(And I kind of like Avalugg but I don't know why... I would like a table like him. It would be nice.)