• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Worlds opening event reveals more new Pokemon and further power creep for the TCG

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
new-pokemon.jpg

The opening event for the Pokemon Worlds tournament has taken place in San Francisco today (and don't worry that you weren't able to watch it live - neither was anyone else). In it there was some news about the TCG and the announcement of 4 new Pokemon - 3 of which we're seeing outside of Japan for the first time and one of which is brand new to everyone.

First, some deets on the new Pokemon:

Crabrawler.png
Name: Crabrawler
Type: Fighting
Crabrawler is a Boxing Pokémon that really hates to lose. It can be found clinging to buildings with its powerful pincers that also pack a powerful punch, or gathering around trees in search of Berries, its favourite food.

sandygast.png

Name: Sandygast
Type: Ghost/Ground
Sandygast emerges when the grudges of fallen Pokémon soak into the sand after battle, and its tunnel-like mouth can suck the vitality from people and Pokémon. Sandygast also features a new Water Compaction Ability, never before seen in other Pokémon, where its Defense stat goes up by two if it’s hit with a Water-type move. Sandygast evolves into Palossand.

Pallossand.png

Name: Palossand
Type: Ghost/Ground
Palossand disguises itself as a sandcastle, with its shovel on top serving, it is believed, as a radar to search out prey. Unsuspecting small Pokémon are dragged into Palossand’s body through its sandy vortex so it can steal their life force.

stufful.png

Name: Stufful
Type: Normal/Fighting
Stufful may have a small body, but this Pokémon has extraordinary strength. Despite its cute, fluffy appearance, Stufful dislikes being touched and will flail its arms in protest. Stufful evolves into Bewear.

You can see the new Pokemon in the trailer below, as well as some more info on them on the official Pokemon website.

Meanwhile, a new feature called 'GX Pokemon' and 'GX Attacks' were announced for the TCG - to be introduced with a new set alongside Sun and Moon. These special GX Pokemon are yet another level of power creep in the TCG format and come with powerful GX attacks that can only be used once per game, and afterwards no other GX attacks can be used by your side, either. Much like EX Pokemon, defeating one will yield two prize cards for the opponent. So far, the only GX Pokemon announced are Solgaleo and Lunala, who have a 'Sol Burst-GX' and 'Lunar Fall-GX' attack respectively. Solgaleo's allows the player to attach up to 5 energy cards from their deck to any of their Pokemon as they wish, while Lunala's provides an instant KO for one of any of the opponent's basic Pokemon in play.

As these attacks are effectively the TCG's adaptation of Z-Moves, it wouldn't be a massive surprise to see the names being incredibly similar to, perhaps, Z-Moves that are exclusive to the legendary Pokemon?... We'll see.

There will likely be more news revealed at the end of Worlds - perhaps including an announcement of Pokken Tournament DLC following the recent reveal of new characters for the Arcade version? Perhaps an announcement of WTF is going on with Dragonite and Zubat? Who knows.

If you're interested in watching any of the Worlds events, despite TPCi's insistence that that's just silly, the official site at least has you covered with all the live streams.

I love Stufful, so cute! I think Sandygast and Pallosand's descriptions are creepy and Crabawler is just plain weird. Where is the info on the supposed Alolan Dragonite!?

Oh man, Crabrawler... It actually reminds me of Mantis shrimp, which I find extremely fascinating creature. Might add one to my team as it is pure Fighting type, instead of Water like Popplio. :D

I've been holding back from not liking any 7th gen Pokémon, but I really can't bring myself to like Sandygast. Looks like a severely melted, bleached Grimer @.@

I don't mind Palossand, and I'm a fan of Crabrawler and cute little Stuffal though.

Last edited:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
They are telling us a lot about this game..i hope that we have some suprises before the games come out

They really are just constantly throwing the news at us this generation, but I think it should be okay. There's still lots of classic information they've yet to show off (ie. the starters' mid stage evolutions, the evolved forms of our early bird, the non-box art legendary Pokemon, etc.), and that's not even considering features that we haven't guessed yet. I suspect that we're just getting these news drops so close together because they have a lot to reveal and not a huge amount of time left to do so. ^^ (Or so I hope)

Regarding the four Pokemon, I've definitely warmed up to the two sandcastles now and really like Palossand. I'd be happy training one if I don't pick up something else first. There's just far too much choice for me already!

I will admit though, despite the fact that I was expecting Crabrawler to be Water/Fighting-type I'm rather glad that it isn't. ^^ It's refreshing having a new Fighting-type that doesn't have extra weaknesses lumped on top. I look forward to training one. >:3

I hope that he gets a water typing and another evolution. Out of the new Pokémon they've released for this game he's my second favorite under Gumshoos.

I like water compaction that ability is probably so helpful competitively

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh i
They really are just constantly throwing the news at us this generation, but I think it should be okay. There's still lots of classic information they've yet to show off (ie. the starters' mid stage evolutions, the evolved forms of our early bird, the non-box art legendary Pokemon, etc.), and that's not even considering features that we haven't guessed yet. I suspect that we're just getting these news drops so close together because they have a lot to reveal and not a huge amount of time left to do so. ^^ (Or so I hope)

Regarding the four Pokemon, I've definitely warmed up to the two sandcastles now and really like Palossand. I'd be happy training one if I don't pick up something else first. There's just far too much choice for me already!

I will admit though, despite the fact that I was expecting Crabrawler to be Water/Fighting-type I'm rather glad that it isn't. ^^ It's refreshing having a new Fighting-type that doesn't have extra weaknesses lumped on top. I look forward to training one. >:3
Love everything so far...the stuff i wanna know now is post game things you can do and starter evolutions...i love this gen so far...probably my favorite actually...i wanna get a few tattoos to show my love for gen 7 and alola...plus maybe i can finally pick a favorite pokemon...nothing has stood out to me so far...but i know one will this gen:)

Oh i

Love everything so far...the stuff i wanna know now is post game things you can do and starter evolutions...i love this gen so far...probably my favorite actually...i wanna get a few tattoos to show my love for gen 7 and alola...plus maybe i can finally pick a favorite pokemon...nothing has stood out to me so far...but i know one will this gen:)
Let's hope you'll find your truest! :D

I don't want to say this but I feel Pokemon is just running out of ideals like really a sand castle as a Pokemon really I kind lose my hope to pokemon but you still made my childhood pokemon

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I don't tend to like the Pokemon based on objects/stuff, rather than animals/creatures but I do like the sandcastles. They amuse me a little and I think they're very well done. Stufful is delightful (although the demonic smile is now proving hard to erase from my mind - thanks @Jeydis xD )

I'm not overly keen on Crabrawler at the moment, but it does look like an interesting Pokemon, and I'm rather happy that it's a pure Fighting-Type.