• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Will the 5th gen wind up being the most forgotten gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind I think the reason why the pokemon were more talked about in earlier gens was there were much less of them.

I first came to online pokemon forums around the time Gen III began and with only 386 pokemon total you had the time to check out most pokemon. Now with over 650 many older pokemon get forgotten in the sheer mass of them.

I also noticed the people who complain about the Hoenn region is almost entirely because of those surfing routes in the last half of the game where you're attacked by Tentacool every 3 steps. If potential remakes let you ride a boat on those surf routes they could fix that flaw.

I never thought one set of pokemon was ever better than another. I like Pokemon from every gen because we always get some awesome designs and then some boring or forgettable ones.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
precita said:
I also noticed the people who complain about the Hoenn region is almost entirely because of those surfing routes in the last half of the game where you're attacked by Tentacool every 3 steps. If potential remakes let you ride a boat on those surf routes they could fix that flaw.

This is so mind-blowingly wrong it's unbelievable.

The shit-storm of hate that Gen III suffered was due to Ruby/Sapphire nixing the day/night transition and the day-specific events from G/S/C, so fans bashed the games for feeling like steps back from Gen II. Although many people forgave Gen III for this and it's quite popular now, it's still a divisive generation and it sure as hell isn't because of one or two routes that you won't even reach until you've beaten the game.

precita said:
I never thought one set of pokemon was ever better than another. I like Pokemon from every gen because we always get some awesome designs and then some boring or forgettable ones.

So why did you make this topic again?

King of Lucario said:
For all your insistence that Gen V is so "forgettable" compared to the other generations, you've yet to give one proper reason as to why that is.

I'm still waiting precita.

King of Lucario said:
The shit-storm of hate that Gen III suffered was due to Ruby/Sapphire nixing the day/night transition and the day-specific events from G/S/C, so fans bashed the games for feeling like steps back from Gen II. Although many people forgave Gen III for this and it's quite popular now, it's still a divisive generation and it sure as hell isn't because of one or two routes that you won't even reach until you've beaten the game.

The three main complaints were that you couldn't trade your Pokemon from GSC over to R/S, forcing people to leave behind their Level 100's or other hard trained Pokemon from Gens 1 and 2. The other complaint was the excessive surfing routes and I guess you can say night/day, but that seems like trivial compared to the first two.

Of course none of this matters NOW, but when they first came out in 2003 it was brought up.

King of Lucario said:
For all your insistence that Gen V is so "forgettable" compared to the other generations, you've yet to give one proper reason as to why that is.

I'm still waiting precita.

I never said the actual Pokemon were forgettable. Its that it came out at the tail-end of the DS, after the first major generation on the console was DP, then came after HGSS remakes, and then only had one sequel game. People brought up how Gen III and Gen IV also had numerous console spinoffs that made people remember them, like Colosseum/XD, the Pokemon Ranger games, etc. The gen only going for 3 years instead of 4 like Gen III and Gen IV did is another issue. Its soon going to be sandwiched inbetween the other generations.

I'm surprised more people don't remember how hyped the DP games were back in 2006/2007. Going from GBA's graphics to the DS was a big deal at the time, in addition to the online trading/battling.

This is in addition to the fact that Munchlax debuted way back in 2004, nearly 2 years before DP even came out, which led the hype for the games for over 2 years which none of the other gens had that build-up.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
precita said:
I guess you can say night/day, but that seems like trivial compared to the first two.

Maybe not to you, but it was a massive issue players had with Gen III when it first arrived, simply because it was removing a key upgrade from a previous generation for seemingly no reason. The non-backward compatibility was an issue, but an unavoidable one ultimately due to hardware limitations and the EV/IV mechanic overhaul.

precita said:
I never said the actual Pokemon were forgettable.

I didn't say you said that either, I said you'd failed to make a point throughout any of this until now.

precita said:
Its that it came out at the tail-end of the DS, after the first major generation on the console was DP, then came after HGSS remakes, and then only had one sequel game.

Gen V being one of the last DS games probably makes it more memorable for serving as a final sendoff for the console on the way to the 3DS.

precita said:
People brought up how Gen III and Gen IV also had numerous console spinoffs that made people remember them, like Colosseum/XD, the Pokemon Ranger games, etc. The gen only going for 3 years instead of 4 like Gen III and Gen IV did is another issue.

Gen V's lack of spinoffs is odd but doesn't detract much from the generation when Colosseum/PBR were poorly received, very few people played XD and the fanbase is quite split on the Ranger series.

precita said:
Its soon going to be sandwiched inbetween the other generations.

Gen III arguably already suffers from this yet still has many fans loyal to it.

precita said:
I'm surprised more people don't remember how hyped the DP games were back in 2006/2007. Going from GBA's graphics to the DS was a big deal at the time, in addition to the online trading/battling.

Evidently you don't remember how hyped up B/W were when the moving sprites, dynamic battle camera and improved environmental graphics were shown, not to mention the anticipation the Dream World created (granted the Dream World was complete and utter shit, but people still looked forward to it at first.) All the generations have received a lot of hype, Gen V is no exception to this.

precita said:
This is in addition to the fact that Munchlax debuted way back in 2004, nearly 2 years before DP even came out, which led the hype for the games for over 2 years which none of the other gens had that build-up.

Munchlax didn't create any more of a buzz than Zoroark did, hell Zoroark arguably created more of a buzz because of how long players were made to wait for the Gen V reveal compared to prior generations. By your logic, Ho-Oh being revealed in the anime's first episode should be the most hype-filled reveal of all time, and it was anything but at that stage since Gen I was still new at the time.

I'm seeing a case of selective memory going on here.

Rex

Resident Furry
precita said:
It probably didn't help matters that outside of Japan the 5th gen won't even last 3 years due to the X and Y games getting a simultaneous release in every country for once.
Current release date for Gen VI is circa October. We don't know when, we just know "October". According to Bulbapedia, Gen V has been going on for about 870 days in Japan. Until October first, this number will have increased to 1108. If my math is correct, this is just over 3 years.

Gen II is the shortest generation, timespan wise. From the time Gold/Silver were released until the time Ruby/Sapphire were released, 1096 days passed. About 3 years exactly. Of course, all we know is October, so it's possible this might change.

Gen V introduced more Pokemon than any other generation, with 156 new additions to the dex. Keep in mind that all 156 of them are also stand alone, none of them add to existing species. Gen II introduced a mere 100 new Pokemon, III 135, IV 107.

Gen V also overhauled the battle system. The addition of hidden abilities and the dream world called for a major restructuring of the metagame. The addition of Triple and Rotation Battles doubled the number of possible Pokemon battles, and this was the first time since Gen III's addition of Double Battles that such a thing was done.

Gen V also changed TMs, making them infinite and answering a common fan gripe for some time. The addition of the PWT is certainly something fans will talk about. Speaking of fans talking, I highly doubt N will be forgotten anytime soon. Ghetsis as well is notable for being much more extreme than his predecessors.

You also act as if Nintendo and Game Freak will let you forget about Gen V. Characters from the old games appear in the new ones all the time. Not to mention all of the new Pokemon, they won't just up and disappear once Gen VI rears its head.

precita said:
It came out at the tail-end of the DS's lifespan after DP dominated it for 4 years.
The fact that Gen V closes the life if the DS makes it more memorable than Gen IV. Also, if being on the same console as a previous generation made a game less memorable, there wouldn't be as many defenders of Gen II. Really, the only difference between the GameBoy and GameBoy Color was just that, color. Gen I and Gen II games can be played on either system. The differences between the two systems are comparable to the differences between the DS family, or the GBA and SP.

precita said:
No remakes to extend the gen either.
So a remake is necessary for the success of a game? Huh. You know, Gens I and II didn't have remakes, and again they're pretty successful and held dearly by fans. So I don't follow the logic here.

I suggest taking off the nostalgia glasses and looking at this thing fresh. I think you'll find that Gen V stands up well on its own merits.

Rex said:
Gen II is the shortest generation, timespan wise. From the time Gold/Silver were released until the time Ruby/Sapphire were released, 1096 days passed. About 3 years exactly. Of course, all we know is October, so it's possible this might change.
:o What?! Gen II was the shortest!!!! RAGE!!!!!

All I know is that Gen V isn't my favorite. I enjoyed the starters, but sometimes I feel lie I just don't want to play it! But I am proud of Nintendo for inventing Animated Sprites. But I'm still mad at Nintendo for for making Johto the shortest region... :@
Did you mean something else?

It's not that Gen 5 will be the most forgotten generation, it's that Gen 5 was the most hated generation, I think. People turned away from the Pokemon series after seeing the Ice Cream Pokemon Vanillite and Garbage Bag Pokemon Trubbish, but I like them. Trubbish is adorable and Garbodor isn't that bad of a battler. Vanillite and Vanillish are both adorable, and Vanilluxe is also not that bad of a battler. That's just me. From what I've heard, Gen 3, when Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald were released, did not have what people say were "Pokemon", they didn't look like Pokemon. I definitely disagree with this. Hoenn is a tropical region, having more water than land, and they used this nicely by introducing Pokemon such as the Lotad line or the Wingull line. The game creators used the region's design to create Pokemon that just fit in. Unova might have done this, but I don't really know.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This topic died (thankfully) about 10 months ago Atlas Uxie.

Check the dates on topics before you post in them next time or it'll be a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.