• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Who was the hardest gym leader for you to beat?

Fire Red :Koga that muk with minimize and acid armor also i didn't what can take out a poison type back then
SS: Whitney her Miltank with Rollout and attract
Ruby/Emerald :Brawely: on one run it took me least 10 tries until i finally beat him
Norman: Slaking has a ton of hp that with facade >:(
Liza and Tate : Pokemon were under leveled
Juan: Kingdra rest and double team on my current emerald run, i trained a Flygon just for this gym and it was the only thing i could think of that can out speed it
Diamond: Maylene: again my Pokemon were under leveled and didn't Lucario was part steel type :(

Last edited:
the elite four were a only"leader" who defeat me,cause i train my pokemon pretty high lv until i met steven,HE RUIN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY POKEMON!after that i win! 8)

Whitney like everyone else that Damn Miltank was like a Juggernaut.

Roxanne also gave me problems it seems like it always takes me at least three trys to beat her

Last edited by a moderator:
Whitney back in my Crystal days. My poor Quilava...Rollout always destroyed me in only a few hits. In the end I finally managed to pull a win by spamming Flame Wheel and Dig. And then I found out you could trade...It was either an Abra or a Drowzee, for a Machop. Oh, the bittersweet memories XD.

Fantina (pokemon platnum). It took me a month just to defeat her mismagius. But when I looked back in storage, I saw golbat and then I jumped for joy since It knew bite.

Volkner for me, I needed to train all my pokemon to level 60 before i could beat him..... I kept losing when he sent out his Luxray and Electrivire, he is the hardest to me.

For me it would be Elesa on Black.She's not hard just annoying.DAMN YOU WITH ALL YOUR POKEMON SPAMMING VOLT CHANGE AND MY BOLDORE NOT HITTING YOUR FRICKIN EMOLGAS WITH A SINGLE ATTACK!!!!! [sub]pants......[/sub]
Wake on Diamond was irritating,with his gyarados spammig thunder fang all over the place.My savior was a rare candy found in the solaceon ruins.

(Congratunlations!Your prinplup evolved into empoleon!)Me:(EVIL)we're gonna have fun with this thing...

Well it has to be back when I just started playing Pearl and gardenia Zomy goodness but now I have a training plan but it requires me to have the patience of a saint because it takes about an hour to get each pokemon up 5 lvls

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
For some reason, Erika from Red and Blue was always the toughest one for me to beat. I used to hate her Victreebel with a burning vengeance. Unfortunately, it's hard to bring burning vengeance with only water types, which was most likely the case for my consistent demise.

my team for soul silver has 2 grass types and a bug type! this made falkner very hard!!! stupid roost attack kept healing it. Then we got lucky! butterfree managed to confuse it with confusion and it kept hurting itself!! then when it snapped out...wing attack kept missing and we got a tackle critical hit!!!! such luck but ah...well! :p ::) ;)

Hardest Gym leader for me out of all the pokemon games would have to be the 8th gym leader in the johto.
Clair's kingdra would end my pokemon with its speed, hydro pump, and dragon abilities. (back then with my johto team)

VongolaFreddy said:
Hardest Gym leader for me out of all the pokemon games would have to be the 8th gym leader in the johto.
Clair's kingdra would end my pokemon with its speed, hydro pump, and dragon abilities. (back then with my johto team)

Just because you said Claire I started to shiver...

Well Whitney and Brawly caused me ire like many of us, but thankfully I stormed through Wattson ;D. However my friend asked me if I could help him in this part of the game in the same situation. I only found out he had picked treecko as a starter when he landed me with the game. Many rage faces followed.

The hardest for me is that Clair! She has many dragons that knows water moves they always kill my pokemon even typhlosion lv.59 i cant believe that i sill lost I hope she loses not me

The hardest gym leader? The only problem I had was with WHITNEY. (Crystal) Her Milktank kept on beating me up.... Then my sister tried. SHE WON. Lucky I guess.

Played on my newly started Heart Gold run and as usual Whitney massacred my team. I also found Falkner annoying, since his birds now knew Roost (back in G/S/C he was way easier)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
tumblr_l7kwkm2xHc1qbe7n1o1_500.gif

Always.

Started another run on my SoulSilver, with Cyndaquil but I thought I'd be smart and catch a Nidoran and evolve it. Nidorino+double kick, Whitney wouldn't stand a chance. Or so I thought, her Miltank destroyed my Nidorino. After what seemed to be 20 super potions my Quilava, Alexandria, in her blaze mode defeated that cow. I was so happy :'D

I actually massacred Miltank with my Flaaffy just now. And of course with a little help from Sandslash.

Also, while fighting Morty, I came to mind that his Gengar is quite a beast as well, even if my Ariados knows some sweet ghost-type moves.

Clair or Clay. In SoulSilver I overtrained my starter (Cyndaquil), so Clair's Kingdra finished me in no time. In White I did the opposite of that, and trained the whole team equally. Clay's Excadrill was more than a match for me, because I chose Tepig for my starter. I eventually beat him by using Gigalith, which had a disadvantage! So if you have a Gigalith and a Swadloon, Gigalith will beat Excadrill.

Kanto: None, though Misty was a pain in FR. Lt. Surge was hard when I had Feraligatr in SS.
Johto: Whitney and Claire, naturally.
Hoenn: Flannery's Torkal + Attract :suicude: ..Tate/Liza were a pain sometimes but not often.
Sinnoh: None

As for Elite Fours, FR's was hell. All of em. Second time through? Don't even wanna think about it.
Johto's E4 was easy. Hoenn's was laughably easy, except Wallace. Oh lawd.
Cynthia was IMPOSSIBLE. That friggen Garchomp ;A;

Elesa. Damn her and all of her Emolga. She's so evil, that not a single Pokesite(apart from us) has their movesets right. You basically have to go catch a team consisting entire of Sandile/Drilbur to beat her, or overlevel and plow right through. She's eeeeeeeeeviiiiiiilllllll D:<

Vividly I remember my Fantina battle in Platinum. I was completely unprepared for the hell I was about to go through. If I can recall, it took me about 16 tries ti defeat her. That damn Mismaguis. Killed Monferno, Buizel, Luxio, Stariavia, and poor baby Budew. Then I had to level grind to defeat Clair in SS. Kingra...*shudders*

Misty (R/B/FR/LG): Because Starmie is so hardcore for that point in the game.
Falkner (HG/SS only): Not being much of a Geodude fan, I didn't really bother with one, which really made this battle tough, since no matter how much I whittled away at Pidgeotto, it always healed itself with Roost. Finally, I had a well-leveled Spearow Leer the heck out it, then finish it with Totodile.
Whitney (G/S/C/HG/SS): Nuff said.

I would say Whitney and Juan/Wallace. Whitney because of Miltank and Juan/Wallace because Milotic/Kingdra. I remember using smokescreen on Miltank and using multiple potions against Juan/Wallace.

Umm...let's see...wow, this is tough. OK, I'll go over all the gym leaders, and see which ones gave me problems. I never played any games that had Kanto in it, so I don't know about them. I had no problem with Falkner. Bugsy's Kakuna and Metapod were easy to beat, but his Scyther gave me grief. And Whitney...oh my God, that was one of the worst Gym Leader battles ever! Her Clefairy was easy, but that Miltank was a freaking MONSTER! I mean, it had strong Attack and Defense, a Sitrus Berry, and it had the move Milk Drink, which made it all but impossible to beat her.

Morty was pretty tough too, but Chuck and Jasmine were no trouble. Pryce was one of the easiest Gym Leaders I'd ever faced. Clair was challenging, but I overcame her with help from Lugia. Now to Hoenn.

Roxanne and Brawly were easy. I had a lot of trouble with Watson, as my starter was Treecko, and I had no Fire, Fighting, or Ground types, so his Magneton slaughtered me. Flannery and Norman were tough, but Winoma was, without a doubt, one of the HARDEST Gym Leader I ever faced! Her other Pokemon weren't a problem, but that Altaria was a machine! A couple Dragon Dances and it was over. Liz and Tate were a couple of devilish children with Lunatone and Solrock, but Juan/Wallace wasn't hard. Well, except for Kingdra.

I had NO trouble with any Sinnoh Gym Leaders. Yes, that includes Gardenia, because I usually pick either Chimchar or Starly, or often both.

As for Unova, no problems until I reached the Electric-Type Gym Leader of Nimbasa City. Her Emolgas were so annoying with that Volt Switch move, and it REALLY messed up my strategy. They were actually more difficult than her Zebstrika. Still, that Pokemon was definitely tough. As for the rest, the only tough Gym Leader was Iris/ The guy you face in Pokemon Black. They were EXTREMELY difficult, particularly Haxorus.

Well, that's it. I can now say the toughest Gym Leader I ever faced was that $%#!@ Whitney. That was a battle from hell. Although Winoma and the Electric-Type Gym Leader in Unova were not too far behind.

Gardenia!! i always train my pokemon to be on the same lvl and with 5 25lvl pokemon i couldnt beat her at the 1st time... in the other games i've played (B/Y/G/C/R/S/E/FR) i havn't any problem

Elesa in my White version.. Her Emolgas and their Levitate ability!!
Whitney was a pain too.. I remember I had to trade my Shiny Pichu for a fighting type to beat her!!! I asked my friend to give my Pichu back, and he said -if you have a cool Pokemon- I was pissed!!! He stoped playing for a while and I got the red Gyara before him so he accepted the trade! When he found the same thing he was mad!! So Whitney drove us all crazy..
But Brock on my Yellow too.. I was training my Nidoran untill it learned double kick and swooped his team!
That works too!

Watsson.

Dont know if i spelled that right but who cares.

This guy man...... Just like......Why?
I remember playing Sapphire which I still have left and I was so happy cause I just pwned everyone until this guy came into my life. He seriously just destroyed my Swellow, Grovyle,Elektrike and Hariyama. Even though his Magnetons Shock Waves wasn't very effective he still could 1-hit KO all of my pokemon. This guy took me about 20 tries if I don't remember wrong. But when I played the game after 2 years I picked Mudkip and this guy was as easy as an Magikarp :D

I liek Mudkips.....

to me the hardest gym leader to beat was brock in yellow... just trying to beat him with my pidgey and pikachu was sooooo annoiyng i lost like 5 times until i decided to get mankey in to my team for the gym battle.

i mean just go and try to beat brock with pikachu thats 15 leveled...
but the feeling when i did it!!!!! :D
and one other hardie was the classic problem in SS ... MILTANK and WHITNEY! if anyone won whitney in your first try without using level 100 pokes. i raise my hat to you! it took me 2 times...

and i had some hard time to beat the fairy type gym in x and y because my pokemons were underleveled but just managed to take him down...
then all my pokemons were like level 35 and now i have box full of level 100 in x and y

otherwise i have never had to fight any gym more than once to win them.

Last edited:
Whitney was a pain too.. I remember I had to trade my Shiny Pichu for a fighting type to beat her!!! I asked my friend to give my Pichu back, and he said -if you have a cool Pokemon- I was pissed!!! He stoped playing for a while and I got the red Gyara before him so he accepted the trade! When he found the same thing he was mad!! So Whitney drove us all crazy..
But Brock on my Yellow too.. I was training my Nidoran untill it learned double kick and swooped his team!
That works too!

...You do know that you could've traded a Drowzee to a NPC in Goldenrod City for a Machop, right? This helped me immensely with Whitney. Also, it could have saved you all that trouble, and you could've kept Shiny Gyarados.

...You do know that you could've traded a Drowzee to a NPC in Goldenrod City for a Machop, right? This helped me immensely with Whitney. Also, it could have saved you all that trouble, and you could've kept Shiny Gyarados.
What?! No I didn't know! Well, the next time I start my game in the Johto region, I will have that in mind. Thanks for the advice.. that I guess everyone knew about.. thanks anyway!

That works too!

Wow. Pokemon could really tear a rift between friends sometimes, couldn't it? XD Oh, the stories I could share... But not now.

On topic: Whitney is definitely one of the... I would never describe a gymleader that whines like a five-year old when she looses and is too sulky to even give you your well earned badge as "tough", but that Miltank was a fat pink rolling NIGHTMARE for my team first time we met. I barely remember how I beat her, only that it involved half a beach of sand attacks...

Also, I recently started playing Pokemon Emerald, and I have to admit that Wattson turned out to be much more difficult than I thought. It was a long time ago I had to fight a gymleader more than three times in order to win. One of my problems was that I had no idea that Shock Wave NEVER MISSES. And I was a hardcore user of sand attacks! I sacrified my Linoone so many times in them battles... Died for nothing. :@
But once again, I wouldn't descibe him as "tough". If I also had 800 super potions, the match would have been more fair... :(

It's that damn Winona my poor septile just kept getting downed and it was even worse on my other pokemon ... That Fucking Altaria and dragon dance