• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

VGC 12 Rules Announced

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
The rules for the Pokémon Video Game Championships 2012 have been announced. As luck would have it the rules are almost the same as what fans had hoped for, staying very close to the Global Battle Union.

Read More

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Huh. Does that mean this rule set doesn't have any clauses at all? I'm also curious about the uber legendaries and such. Are they legal for this? =O

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
Huh. Does that mean this rule set doesn't have any clauses at all? I'm also curious about the uber legendaries and such. Are they legal for this? =O

Thought I'd added a list of Pokemon that can't be used in. D:< Fact you should always know about me, I always forget something on my first go at things or screw it up whichever and this time it's being forgetful......... I was super excited about it working...

You can't use the following Pokemon;

150 – Mewtwo
151 – Mew
249 – Lugia
250 – Ho-Oh
251 – Celebi
382 – Kyogre
383 – Groudon
384 – Rayquaza
385 - Jirachi
386 – Deoxys
483 – Dialga
484 – Palkia
487 – Giratina
489 – Phione
490 – Manaphy
491 – Darkrai
492 – Shaymin
493 – Arceus
494 – Victini
643 – Reshiram
644 – Zekrom
646 – Kyurem

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ahh. That looks more normal. XD

These are quite open rules. I like that about them. Hopefully we get the chance to use them ourselves around 'Charms at some point. :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The species and item clauses are meant to be on here as well. Fair game clause is coded into the Gen V games by default now so it doesn't need mentioning.

Dark Void getting banned surprised me a bit since Gen V seems more capable of dealing with it than Gen IV did, although the only people I can see complaining about it are the ones who need Dark Void Smeargle to win anything.

It's basically the exact same rules as Random Battle Doubles online, except Chatot is allowed and Dark Void is not.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
King of Lucario said:
The species and item clauses are meant to be on here as well.

Ahh. That's not surprising. I've also edited those details into the news update.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I don't think I could be more in support for the banning of Dark Void Smeargle. As someone who rather enjoys the tactic of putting your opponents to sleep and ruining them in their defenceless state, even I find it to be way beyond what should be acceptable in battle.

I can't think of a time I saw it used in the Manchester tournaments where it didn't utterly dominate. I'd heartily move for VGC12 rules in a future live tournament if Nintendo ever finally gave us an option to get our Gen V battles on a big screen.