• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

TOO MUCH WATER (The Official ORAS Playthrough Thread)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I'm only, like, a week late for the majority of the world... but ORAS came out in Europe today, so that's my excuse for forgetting and I'm sticking to it. :p Anyway, like always, this thread is for chronicling your adventures in the new Hoenn.

What starter did you choose? How far through are you? What does your team look like?

Tip: If you want to post types, try the [type]electric[/type] BBcodes. That'll produce something like this: [type]electric[/type] Obviously replace electric with whatever type you want. ^^

I got it on November 21st and have been playing it as much as I can while at work mostly and a bit at home. I have been loving the new features. In particular, the dexnav which has let me catch a real asskicking Boomburst Taillow early on which has stayed on my team as my designated flyer. I am currently just outside of Fortree after obtaining the Feather badge from Winona. So I am training up my newly acquired Lileep in the road next to Fortree and enjoying chain catching Kecleons with all sorts of different attacks.

Here is my team:
Prim the Lileep
Lvl 27 (in training)
Ability: Suction Cups
Female
[type]Rock[/type][type]Grass[/type]
- Giga Drain
- Brine
- Toxic
- Confuse Ray

Seraph the Gallade
Lvl 33
Ability: Steadfast
Male
[type]Psychic[/type][type]Fighting[/type]
- Low Sweep
- Cut
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash

Surrak the Vibrava
Lvl 36
Ability: Levitate
Male
[type]Ground[/type][type]Dragon[/type]
- Dragon Breath
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Roost

Arya the Swellow
Lvl 34
Ability: Guts
Female
[type]Normal[/type][type]Flying[/type]
- Boomburst
- Fly
- Roost
- Quick Attack

Slardar the Swampert
Lvl 38
Ability: Torrent
Male
[type]Water[/type][type]Ground[/type]
- Rock Smash
- Mud Bomb
- Surf
- Strength

Thundaga the Manectric
Lvl 36
Female
Ability: Lightning Rod
[type]Electric[/type]
- Discharge
- Fire Fang
- Bite
- Secret Power

I picked Treecko as my starter and named him Sidney! The boyfriend bought me the game the day it was released and I just beat the eighth gym yesterday. Because I'm a terrible person, I let Kyogre flood the eastern half of Hoenn for three days because I was busy and when I did play I was too distracted by the AWESOMENESS of Secret Bases. I didn't realize they worked with random strangers too so I've been able to take full advantage of find people's secret bases and getting items and flags.

My current team is
Sceptile - Sidney
Azumarill - Maru (Play Rough is a beast)
Swellow - Spencer
Hariyama - Makit (stupid ingame nickname) I never meant to have it as part of my team, but it was so useful, I kept it.
Manectric - Rai-Lee
Latias - Alia Another inadvertent addition to the team after I failed to find a Dawn Stone for my Kirla and didn't want Gardevoir.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I didn't get to play much yesterday but I started in the evening and stuff and managed to beat the first Gym before falling asleep :)

Badges: 1

Current Team
Grovyle (Amaranthus)
[type=grass][/type]
- I had to start with Treecko. Sceptile is my favourite starter and Treecko was my Starter back in the days of Ruby and Sapphire.

Vulpix (Fernarcus)
[type=fire][/type]
- Naughtily traded this Vulpix over (obviously) because I wanted one and didn't realised I'd not be able to catch one until later in the game. So mine. It's got a silly name, but the reasoning is personal.

Beldum (Cube) ---
[type=steel][/type]
- Couldn't not have the little shiny Beldum. It's not named Cube officially, but hopefully once I encounter the Name Rater I can change that :)

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
So far:

Grovyle Lv. 23
Makuhita Lv.23
Electrike Lv.23

I'm starting to think I've seen this before, have I seen this before?

Finished all the story/elite 4/delta episode, so now i'm focused on collecting flags and about to start working on some contest pokemon. Since it was a remake, I decided to breed a team for it while keeping to the regional pokemon.

Datura the Breloom
Jasper the Sableye
Venus the Mawile
Obsidian the Camerupt
Scoop the Peliper
Blight the Dustox

Details left out incase anyone stumbles upon my secret base =)

Quiz the Tyrunt
Coolness, Hyper Rank

Singe the Vulpix
Cleverness, Hyper Rank

Morte the Cubone
Toughness, Super Rank

Miasma the Dragalge
Beauty, training

??? the Sandshrew
Cuteness, training

Last edited:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I put off starting my copy of Omega Ruby for a week but finally did so this past Friday evening. I've already played over 10 hours and, as usual, haven't actually accomplished that much! I've been heavily enjoying the game thus far though, so it's all good. ♥ Here's what my current playthrough looks like. ^^

Player: Katie
Badges: 2
Current Location: Trick House (Route 110)

My Current Team:
Treecko (Shiroe)♂
252MS.png

Nature/Ability: Hasty/Overgrow
Level: 20
Moveset: Mega Drain, Rock Tomb, Absorb, Quick Attack
- My starter. Had to be a Grass-type, thus had to be Treecko. Interested in training Mega Sceptile, too. I'm holding off on evolving him until he learns Giga Drain.

Kadabra (Brain)♂
064MS.png

Nature/Ability: Hardy/Inner Focus
Level: 19
Moveset: Confusion, Disable, Teleport
- I haven't trained an Alakazam in ages so I figured that I'd try another out and take advantage of the mega evolution.

Braxien (Merlin)♂
654MS.png

Nature/Ability: Docile/Magician
Level: 19
Moveset: Scratch, Echoed Voice, Ember, Psybeam
- I've never trained Fennekin's line before so this felt like a perfect opportunity to do so. I'd initially bred one with Magician on Pokemon Y so I just renamed it and traded it over to Omega Ruby.

Taillow (Ace)♂
276MS.png

Nature/Ability: Hasty/Guts
Level: 20
Moveset: Pursuit, Steel Wing, Quick Attack, Wing Attack
- Encountered this fellow at level 15 via the DexNav on route 104. Debated a bit whether or not to train him and eventually caved.

Electrike (Raiju)♂
309MS.png

Nature/Ability: Mild/Static
Level: 17
Moveset: Spark, Quick Attack, Howl, Leer
- As I've already trained two Manectric in the past, possibly three, I had zero intention of training yet another... until an Electrike popped out of the grass. I love Electrike. ;_; The fact that @Demelza is training one too didn't help matters. :p Ah well. I've never used Mega Manectric before anyways so this will be a perfect opportunity to do so!

And that's the team thus far. All males! I demand some gender balance with the next however many Pokemon that I add to my team - and there likely will be at least 3-4 more additions. I can never stick to just six. :p Current targets are Mawile, Corphish, and possibly Shuppet depending on if I get tired of waiting to catch one.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Even though I've had Alpha Sapphire since November 21 I only have 3 Badges because I've been having too much fun messing around with the DexNav and trying to decide who I want to use my team. So far definite final members are Swampert, Shiny Metagross, and Breloom.

My Party at the moment is thus:

Alpha (Marshtomp)
Lv.23
Brave Nature
-Tackle
-Rock Tomb
-Water Pledge
-Mud Shot

Metang
Lv.22
Docile Nature
-Hold Back
-Iron Head
-Zen Headbutt
-Flash

Shroominsh
Lv.22
Bashful Nature
-Mega Drain
-Headbutt
-Poison Powder
-Leech Seed

Lombre (Filler until a more worthy candidate appears)
Lv.22
Timid Nature
-Razor Leaf (DexNav special move)
-Fake Out
-Absorb
-Bubble

Vigoroth (A potential final member)
Lv.18
Naughty Nature
-Body Slam (DexNav special move)
-Encore
-Slack Off
-Feint Attack

Slave1 (Zigzagoon)
-Cut
-Rock Smash

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The team so far, at 8 badges:

Sceptile (Mega) Lv.45
Big thanks to a certain Tribute that people may know for telling me not to evolve Treecko until Lv.21 in order to get Giga Drain early.

Hariyama Lv.45
Despite devouring through my supplies of Lemonade and Moomoo Milk Hariyama's been a valuable asset to the team. Shame more NPCs don't use hold items though since Knock Off is a bit mediocre as a result.

Manectric Lv.45
Despite being surrounded by two Megas, one of which is legendary and soon a Primal as well, Manectric has fit in very well as a valuable Flying-resist for this team. Charge Beam has worked wonders.

Latios (Mega) Lv.44
Latios has been great fun for several reasons, one of which I will not spoil. Most notably Latios made catching Groudon far easier than it would have been otherwise.

Groudon (Primal) Lv.45
I figured since this will likely be the only time I'll ever get to really use Primal Groudon I'd make the most of it. I've yet to use him at this point but I'm greatly looking forward to having him plough through the Elite Four and Champion like Godzilla through Japan.

Thanks to the Exp Share and getting completely distracted by Secret Bases and the Dex Nav, my Pokemon ended up massively over-leveled and I steamrolled the E4. Azumarill (who was nearly at level 70) Play Roughed Sidney and Drake to death while Mega Manectric with Flamethrower and Discharge took care of Glacia.

So yeah, fun times.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Still plodding through this game slowly but surely! Still not finished the game, in fact I'm just about to get my final Gym Badge, but I blame all the distractions!

Badges: 7

254.png

Sceptile (Amaranthus)
[type=grass][/type]
Level 53

38.png

Ninetales (Fernarcus)
[type=fire][/type]
Level 53

310.png

Manectric (Cupid)
[type=electric][/type]

Level 52

330.png

Flygon (Apollo)
[type=ground][/type][type=dragon][/type]

Level 52

376.png

Metagross (Cube) ---
[type=steel][/type][type=psychic][/type]
Level 52
- So upset that I couldn't officially rename it Cube, but oh well :'(

And an honorary mention to Rain, the Latios, who is very undeservingly my HM slave -_-
381.gif

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I just got AS on Friday and beat it a few minutes ago (after pulling an all-nighter). My starter was Swampert, but I ended up never using him ^^;

End team results:
Sharpedo - Level 56
Camerupt - Level 56
Chi (Gardevoir) - Level 56
Minun - Level 56
Froslass - Level 56
Ruko (Breloom) - Level 55
(I tried my hardest to keep everyone at the same level sob)

Honorable mention team members include Louis the Mightyena, Plapti the Swellow, and Lynoone the HM Slave. ♥

Also, I feel it is important to mention how Minun is my MVP this time around. For a more in-depth explanation, look no further than this tumblr post of mine.

Last edited:

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
Woo hoo got OR for Christmas! I has 2 badges, and am in Mauville.
Team:

259.png

Skipper the Marshtomp
Male
Torrent
Level 22
[TYPE]water[/TYPE]/[TYPE]ground[/TYPE]
-Tackle
-Bide
-Water Gun
-Mud Bomb

280.png

Hoodie the Ralts
Male
Synchronize
Level 17
[TYPE]psychic[/TYPE]/[TYPE]fairy[/TYPE]
-Disarming Voice
-Confusion
-Magical Leaf
-Teleport

309.png

Fluff the Electrike
Male
Static
Level 14
[TYPE]electric[/TYPE]
-Thunder Wave
-Spark
-Howl
-Quick Attack

And a quick mention to Stripe the Zigzagoon, the HM slave!
263.png

Yes, I know Hoodie and Fluff are criminally underleveled.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wanted to do one final update before getting too far into Victory Road because as of now all of my Pokemon are fairly balanced in level. Once I get head deep into Victory Road and the Elite 4, that will change very quickly. XD

I ended up rotating between 10 Pokemon and replaced my Swellow with a different Flying-type prior to the third gym. ^^ You'll also see very quickly that my team is overrun with Megas. It's fun! <.>

Badges: 8
Current Location: Ever Grande City Pokemon Center

My Team:

254MS.png
Sceptile (Shiroe)
254MMS.png

[type=grass][/type] & [type=grass][/type][type=dragon][/type]
Level
: 43
Held Item: Sceptilite
Moveset
: Giga Drain, Hidden Power (Dragon), False Swipe, Strength

065MS.png
Alakazam (Brain)♂
065MMS.png

[type=psychic][/type]
Level: 41
Held Item: Alakazite
Moveset: Psychic, Hidden Power (Water), Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball

655MS.png
Delphox (Merlin)♂

[type=fire][/type][type=psychic][/type]
Held Item: Expert Belt
Moveset: Grass Knot, Shadow Ball, Mystical Fire, Psyshock

310MS.png
Electrike (Raiju)♂
310MMS.png

[type=electric][/type]
Held Item: Manectite
Moveset: Discharge, Quick Attack, Bite, Thunder Wave

303MS.png
Mawile (Hime)♀
303MMS.png

[type=steel][/type]
[type=fairy][/type]
Nature/Ability: Timid/Hyper Cutter
Held Item: Mawilite
Moveset: Play Rough, Power-Up Punch, Iron Head, Crunch
- I feel like my impression of Mawile has been cheapened a tad due to raising one with a less than ideal Nature but in general I've enjoyed training one and really love Mega Mawile's design.

354MS.png
Banette (Yoko)♀
354MMS.png

[type=ghost][/type]
Nature/Ability: Sassy/Insomnia
Held Item: Banettite
Moveset: Will-O-Wisp, Feint Attack, Shadow Claw, Secret Power
- I wanted to finally give Banette's line a try due to its new mega evolution and while I don't necessarily see myself using one again in the future, Prankster is a great ability.

381MS.png
Latios (Falcon)♂
381MMS.png

[type=dragon][/type][type=psychic][/type]
Nature/Ability: Adamant/Levitate
Level: 42
Held Item: Latiosite
Moveset: Surf, Dragon Breath, Luster Purge, Waterfall
- I very rarely raise legendaries within my teams but Latios is often an exception. With Soar in mind, I nicknamed him after one of my favourite airships. :3

567MS.png
Archeops (Danger) ♂

[type=rock][/type][type=flying][/type]
Nature/Ability: Naive/Defeatist
Held Item: None
Moveset: Earthquake, Crunch, Acrobatics, Smack Down
- Danger is the fellow that replaced my Swellow and I have no regrets for doing such~. I'd never trained something from the line before and it's been really fun raising raising him from an Archen. Archen and Archeops are great Pokemon, both in design and usage! ♥

342MS.png
Crawdaunt (Scarlet)♀

[type=water][/type][type=dark][/type]
Nature/Ability: Adamant/Adaptability
Held Item: Luck Incense
Moveset: Dragon Dance, Aqua Jet, Night Slash, Dive
- I ended up breeding a hidden ability Corphish that I'd once received from a Wonder Trade and have been quite taken by Adaptability Corphish/Crawdaunt. Mine's been an excellent addition to my team.

428MS.png
Lopunny (Mirajane)♀
428MMS.png

[type=normal ][/type] & [type=normal][/type][type=fighting][/type]
Nature/Ability: Adamant/Klutz
Held Item: Lopunnite
Moveset: Jump Kick, Quick Attack, Dizzy Punch, Baby-Doll Eyes
- I wanted to raise a Fighting-type that I've never trained before and finally decided on Mega Lopunny. Even with the new mega evolution I can't say that I've grown any fonder of Lopunny in general but I like mine~

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Done the post-game, so I decided to stomp Super Double Battle for an Ability Capsule:

Lv. 50 Salamence (Mega)
Aeriliate Frustration from this guy is death. Also he laughs at Ice Shards.

Lv. 50 Lapras
Shell Armour = no hax. Having Perish Song to execute the last two enemy Pokemon remaining was a godsend.

Lv. 50 Raichu
MVP of the run thanks to Encore and Lightning Rod wreaking havoc on the AI.

Lv. 50 Aegislash
Was surprisingly less of a factor than anyone else on the team by a fair margin but got his chance to shine against the Battle Chatelaine when he won a 2vs1 situation to finish the run.