• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Video Game Music Thread

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
This is a general discussion thread about music in video games.

As you're probably aware, given the recent post about the Video Games Live Kickstarter, I'm a pretty massive fan of good music in good games - and a sucker for remixed or orchestrated music of games I love.

I think one of my favourites, ever, has to be the credits arrangement from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword:

There's basically not a bad word to be said about any of Zelda's music - and the themes across the series are so hard hitting and iconic that they make a fantastic orchestral show in and of themselves (having attended the Symphony of the Goddesses show, I can attest to this personally). Skyward Sword's Ballad of the Goddesses theme, and by extension, the crescendo of the game's credits theme, though, takes everything to an epic, series-defining level. That the game literally defines the path the rest of the series would chronologically follow, and celebrates the 25 years of excellent games before it, adds a lot of context to the emotion of the song and the combination of it all makes this finale all the more special for me.

On the same theme of Zelda, and going back directly to the Symphony of the Goddesses show, my other favourite piece of Zelda music has to be the arrangement from Twilight Princess for the show:

(I've included this video so you can get a feel for how the content of the game is directed along with the music - but if you want to hear the music a bit better, click here)

Twilight Princess is far from my favourite game of the series (I'd be tempted to call it my least favourite, really), but the music very adeptly captures the darker tones of the game, with this arrangement driving home that feeling - as well as that very epic burst of life from Hyrule Field as Link and Epona charge into action.

So, I could literally go on and on about what I like for ages - and will come back to other games in other posts - but what about you? What are some of your favourite soundtracks, songs, themes or otherwise in games? It can be any game, any track, for any reason. Include videos if possible.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No clue why I've put off replying to this thread so long. :x

There are so many great video game-related tunes out there that I don't quite know where to start. Lately I've been on a Kingdom Hearts kick, particularly regarding two choice instrumental pieces:

and

These aren't just stand out instrumentals within gaming music, they're easily two of the most beautiful orchestrated pieces that I've ever heard, bar none. I've had the privilege of hearing the Simple and Clean orchestrated version played at a Video Games Live concert and safe to say, it was gorgeous.

Another song that I've been listening to quite a bit lately is "Memoro de la Stono - Distant Worlds" from Final Fantasy XI. I've never played FF XI, nor have much interest in ever doing so, but this is an undeniably beautiful song. It feels somewhat split into two parts (possibly because it is) and both parts are equally nice, but I tend to skip to the English vocal singing out of habit. The lyrics are lovely.

That's all I'll share for now but I have oodles more to toss into this thread, assuming it gets another reply. ;D

The Spyro 2 OST was always a pleasant thing to hear during my childhood days and now. Well, I never cared about OST when I was a kid because all I really wanted was just play the games, but this game stood out for me. An example would be like the Hub World track called "Autumn Plains". This track is just so peaceful to listen.

as well as "Winter Tundra", another beautiful musical piece in the game. I thought these tracks were so good for a Playstation 1 title. I could really just lay back and relax while the song is playing. It is just so soothing to my ears and this is coming from a guy who listens nothing but Heavy Metal, Punk and Rock. I don't know, maybe it is just me.

Oh, my. I am a big fan of music in video games!

Obviously, there's Pokemon soundtracks. Pretty much every Pokemon game has a soundtrack that I, overall, love very much(excluding D/P/Pt's, which is the reason I can't replay any of those games -_-). Generation III(TRUMPETS!) has some beautiful themes, especially in places where nature is prevalent. Generation V also had a breathtaking assortment of lovely tracks, and Kalos definitely gets some love from me!

Then, there's Final Fantasy(the very few of those games that I have). While the original and FFIII had some good tracks, overall, I wasn't wowed. However, Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light had some truly beautiful tracks. There's too many for me to list, so I'll just put videos from them below. Tactics Advance was a game I grew up playing, and the music never disappointed. The orchestrated versions are just as entertaining. As for 4 Heroes of Light, the OST brought back memories of playing games on the NES. It was as energizing and audibly pleasing as it was nostalgic. I have some favorites right here!

Then, there's Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury. Another game I grew up playing, and one that got me interested in DBZ in general. Surprisingly, this has a ton of tracks that I absolutely love listening to, as opposed to its predecessors, whom did not have barely any tracks that interested me. One of my favorites, sadly, only played a couple times during the game. However, it is still excellent, because it is so intense, loud, and fast, in a way that it can majorly psyche me up for a fight like no other can. I usually line up my punches with the music, and both the background sounds and my actions pound in unison. This is that track:

Let's see....oh, Super Mario Galaxy. Now, there's a soundtrack that no one can possibly hate. It is so moving, so pretty to listen to, and it makes me feel as if I'm truly soaring through space with the mustachioed plumber himself! This one in particular always overwhelms me with emotion:

That's all for now, although I definitely will reply/edit later on with more. These are just my main favorites.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
I am absolutely in love with Bravely Default and it's soundtrack. I haven't beaten it yet, and to avoid spoilers I've been only listening to the 3 main boss themes so I don't accidentally click on the Final boss theme. :3
(For an interesting piece of trivia, the Nemesis Boss theme is a remix of the Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light main battle theme and boss them. ;))

I don't know why, but I've always liked these little songs...
I'm am a really big fan of Kirby, and also a fan of it's songs...
I finally got my Kirby Super Star Ultra cartridge back, and now I can play it again..! :D

Last edited:
I also really like some songs from this game called Happy Wars(Xbox360).

Like this one:

I know this is weird, but I tend to really like the Gate songs from B/W and X & Y...
From B/W:
From X & Y:
I just don't know why... :?
Maybe I just like songs like these...

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
So freaking catchy...
If you can survive this... I must say...
misc36.gif

Greetings from the Fighting Game fandom! The last one up there is my favorite because it has something I usually don't hear in game music: a male opera vocal~