• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The System Reboot

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I'm hilarious.

Anyway, a while back (by which I mean several years), me, Stel, Linkachu and Sem had an RP called The System. After talking to Stel recently, we've been debating recreating it with slight differences (different plot arcs, slightly tweaked characters, etc). I figured I'd put up an interest thread for people who might want to join in. This isn't a place to put character bios or anything, just a bit of an info dump for those interested.

Basically, the System is very similar to the Matrix. A completely immersive computer system which Users literally plug themselves into. Their consciousness gets uploaded into the software and transports them into a virtual world. The System was created as a means of entertainment - as the RP is set vaguely towards the future in a post-apocalyptic world (details revealed in the RP), the System provides pretty much the only entertainment available to people.

There are various types of Users in the System. Normal Civilians, obviously, make up the majority of the population. On top of that, there are law enforcement, which pretty much act exactly like a normal police force except their jurisdiction can extend beyond the System itself. Even further, there are Special Operatives (of which my character is a member) who are allowed certain perks within the System such as enhanced speed, strength, certain Powers and so on. Even higher up the scale are the Operators. The Operators are responsible for maintaining the coding that runs the System and never directly enter the System except in extreme cases.

As far as the world inside the System goes, it has various different locations that can be accessed - Central City is the main hotspot (due to it being a combination residential, recreational and industrial city all rolled into one), but there are also various other environments including but not limited to forests, beaches, mountains, volcanoes, tundras, ice fields, etc. etc.

That's the bare-bones of the System itself. Like I say, this isn't a place to post characters, just sort of imply if you're interested or curious about anything. The first post of the RP will be going up once me and Stel have hashed out some of the details and ironed out any inconsistencies.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
As I mentioned in chat: If I can cook up a suitable character, I'm interested.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Well, you obviously know I'm up to my armblades and beyond in this. ^_^ Been waiting for a chance to pull Arvensis out of mothballs for ages.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm intrigued by this reboot but most likely won't be taking part in it. However, put me down tentatively for joining on the off chance that my current writers block passes before the RP is started. I always loved the original System RP.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
StellarWind Elsydeon said:
I am launching all the sideways death glares I possibly can at your writers block in the faint hope one of them WILL kill it. XD

Thanks muchly Gad, but it wouldn't do much good to get your hopes up. ^^;
I originally hesitated replying to this thread because I likely won't be joining, but I definitely am happy to see you two reviving it and hope it does well this time 'round too. And hey, never say never, eh? ^^

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Just gonna throw out again - if you have any questions about the nature of the RP (like the setting and such) feel free to throw them out here or PM me directly. I'll get back to you ASAP

I do have a couple of questions, but I'm sure most of them will be answered in the first post of the RP, which I'm very much looking forward to reading. I would like to throw this out there; Is the virtual world one where death is non-existent, like a consequence-free utopia?

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Essentially, yeah. Unless the coding of the character, while in the system, gets corrupted, Death Is Cheap. However, matters like these have consequences - no one would die of old age in the system, so it must have happened by some other means. Guns, poison, murder stuff in general. If something like that were to happen, the real self (outside the system) would have to deal with it (in their eyes, they've just been poisoned and died. That'd fuck anyone up when their consciousness went back to their real body) as well as operators due to the fact that someone had just acquired a murder weapon, which would be strictly regulated.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Quick request for anyone interested:

Can you throw me a general idea of what role your character is gonna fit into? Special Ops like mine or Stel's character? Law enforcement? Ordinary civilian? Just 'cause the introductory post will have to change depending on this.

I remember this RP from way back when Sem first told me about 'Charms and I first joined the forums, I loved the idea and leafing through it was, I guess, inspirational for me to get involved in writing in a way. I would love to join if you'd have me. It's been far too long a time since I've actually participated in an RP.

As far as the role I'd want my character to play, I'm interested in either Special Ops or Law Enforcement.

I wouldn't mind my character being a special ops!

But, I would just like some sort of extra clarification on what special ops actually do, and what their prerequisites and general behaviour is.

Because if it strays too far from what I had in mind for my character, I'll need to either change them, or their 'class'

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Special Ops basically are agents that report directly to the Operators. They take on missions that are assigned to them based on events that are happening at any given moment. When not on a mission, typically they either do a lot of training or patrol work. Training consists usually of messing around with various programs that the operators give for the duration of the training to see how the coding works, if it has impacts on the System itself and so on.

That's them in a nutshell.

I think I'll have my character be an ordinary civilian, actually. I've been toying around with some ideas, my favourite of which would all incur him not playing the role of law enforcement. How he can still be tied into the storyline will be shown later, I take it?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I mean, as a veteran participant in this I have to show my interest in getting involved again. I'm in. Character is unsure as of yet. If it's not special ops I'd toy with law enforcement.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
While you predicted my -personal- response to your character fairly well, Sem (seriously, what the zarking fuck?), applying that to Arvensis (who may have different thoughts on the matter or may express them differently - as he would, considering the type of character he is) without asking me is considered autoing and is definitely NOT something I expected from you.

Even if it is from the (possibly skewed) point of view of your character alone. >>

For the record, Arv isn't very forward about his feelings towards people - positive or negative. The completely obscuring nature of his armor would make it impossible to pick up facial cues from him and body language would be vague at best - so honestly, It's quite difficult to tell what Arv is thinking. If he finds a person distasteful he would, for the most part, opt to ignore them instead unless necessary - and there, some sarcasm may slip out on occasion. But he would certainly not act all fucking high-and-mighty towards them.

Also, a "Deep Freeze" is actually not an official term. Arvensis uses it to describe a very specific type of Lockdown in which not only users are kicked out and redirected into different areas, but all environmental ambiance subroutines and independent programs are also disabled. Pretty much leaves just the zone infrastructure behind.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I apologize for grieving you so, appropriate changes have been made.