• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The RPG Soundtrack of the RPG that never existed

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As we'll all be aware - this being a site dedicated to one - Japanese RPGS are pretty similar all around. Especially those called Final Fantasy (or would DIE to be called it). The characters are always pretty similar, the premise is always pretty similar, and the soundtracks are always pretty similar. Normally fairly orchestral in nature if the technology and budget will allow, normally pretty sweeping pieces for introductions and always, always with an iconic battle theme in there somewhere.

Michael Chadwick of Nebyoolae.com has taken that idea pretty much as far as it can go - scoring an entire soundtrack for a JRPG that doesn't even exist. Well, outside of his own head anyway:

Ebben Flow - A Post-Delugtica World Ripe For the Fishing

Join Olos, Claire, and Senegal as they try to make sense of a world now mostly underwater, save for a few dry patches of land known as The New United Islands which they each call home. Vast cityscapes loom in the murky depths and hidden treasures pocket the sea floor which has now become dangerously low to visitors.

Each of the characters you will meet and control have their own agenda in the land of Ebben Flow. Their paths may cross and diverge at will, leading to exciting new tangents and side stories. Several factions desire to rule their local and remote islands, as well as the depths below, and they're not above treachery or chaos to achieve it.

Each of the 15 tracks on the site is accompanied by an explanation of what it's about and what moments it would capture within this imaginary game. You can check it out and download the entire thing here, but for convenience, I've included what everyone will leap at first - the battle theme. Enjoy :)

[size=20pt]Ebben Flow: 'The Hunter'[/size]
HTML:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Being a hardcore RPG player here, I'm not even going to argue the fact that some RPGs can be as varied as the TV shows we watch or books we read (especially the characters). :p Nope, instead I shall simply reply to the thread :)

This is very, very nifty XD I've always joked that life feels like one big RPG to me and each location should have its own BG music, so someone composing a soundtrack to an imaginary game seems fairly awesome. That battle theme is pretty good, too - enough to catch my interest and check out the rest of the tunes.

Thanks for this, Alex ^^