• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The 'Mons that surprised you

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm sure most of us here have underestimated a certain Pokémon species at least once, either ones we've faced expecting them to be little effort to beat only for them to turn around and smash your face in, or ones we have used ourselves expecting them to be somewhat niche and situational or just using the species because we like it, only for that Pokemon to quickly become the MVP of the team.

While I have come to learn that almost any Pokémon can be potent in the right hands, I clearly hadn't learned enough and grossly underestimated the Raichu on my doubles team, expecting it to be a niche, situational gimmick Pokemon to support the rest of the team. I was quite shocked when it ended up becoming the backbone of the first team I used it with due to the level of control and disruption it offered, and I've not made a doubles team without that Raichu since.

So, which underestimated and underappreciated 'Mons have managed to surpass your expectations?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Beheeyem is currently at the top of my list; almost nobody seems to realize its deadly potential in singles. Heck, almost everyone tries to send in Bisharp against me, but since I always carry around HP Fighting on the thing... yeah. Omnomnom~ I usually run mine with Choice Specs for extra power, but I'm trying to play around with other held items like Expert Belt, Assault Vest, etc.

I've also grossly underestimated Alomomola's power before I started battling @Ruko. That thing's defense is ridiculous, and Wish passing... ugh. Never again. Please. Dx Actually, Ruko's the reason why I almost never underestimate Pokemon anymore, and how I started to branch out to trying other things~

In a similar vein, I was also nicely surprised by Raichu's use in double battles. I haven't really done double battles before, but I decided to try it out with Raichu for whatever reason. Suffice to say, what I also expected to be a niche Pokemon ended up being very handy and definitely my favorite on the team. I still don't do double battles all that much, but if I do, I'll definitely be using the little mouse again ♥ Its cousin, Minun, has also proven to be somewhat useful for me, though mostly in Tier Shift settings.

Furfrou. This poodle has a really high defense thanks to it's ability and, after using cotton guard just once, can survive a super power from azumarill. I faced this thing using extremelly offensive teams and struggled to KO it. I shall never underestimate any Pokémon.

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
Beheeyem is currently at the top of my list; almost nobody seems to realize its deadly potential in singles. Heck, almost everyone tries to send in Bisharp against me, but since I always carry around HP Fighting on the thing... yeah. Omnomnom~ I usually run mine with Choice Specs for extra power, but I'm trying to play around with other held items like Expert Belt, Assault Vest, etc.

I've also grossly underestimated Alomomola's power before I started battling @Ruko. That thing's defense is ridiculous, and Wish passing... ugh. Never again. Please. Dx Actually, Ruko's the reason why I almost never underestimate Pokemon anymore, and how I started to branch out to trying other things~

In a similar vein, I was also nicely surprised by Raichu's use in double battles. I haven't really done double battles before, but I decided to try it out with Raichu for whatever reason. Suffice to say, what I also expected to be a niche Pokemon ended up being very handy and definitely my favorite on the team. I still don't do double battles all that much, but if I do, I'll definitely be using the little mouse again ♥ Its cousin, Minun, has also proven to be somewhat useful for me, though mostly in Tier Shift settings.
RUKO'S TEAM SHALL NEVER BE MENTIONED T_T but yeah I can agree with that. I didn't really use or like alomomola pre-Ruko fighting because I figured it was wimpy (and yeah, I'll admit I thought it was girly) before Ruko. Ruok, as stated, taught us all to be cautious. . . and you know, I never expected sneasel to be able to run with so much power-I'd always liked it's design better but had evolved it to power it up. Then I figured out it could do pretty well on it's own . . .huehuehue

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
@FalChromiforme iirc, a lot of Pokemon who gained evolutions in later generations (Scyther immediately comes to mind, along with Chansey) are already at least somewhat viable on their own. The power-up they get in the form of a new evolution does make them stronger, but yeah. There's a reason why eviolite Chansey and Porygon2 are commonly found even in OU, and why many of these Pokemon are banned from Little Cup.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The Pokemon that immediately springs to mind wasn't one of my competitive teammates but it did shock me how useful it ended up being. I've always regarded Crawdaunt with mild interest due to its stat distribution/move pool (it seemed nice but nothing standout-ish) but when I raised an Adaptability Crawdaunt on my Omega Ruby team I was surprised by the sheer power of the thing. Mine was bred off a Corphish that I'd received from a Wonder Trade, sporting Dragon Dance, Night Slash, and Aqua Jet, and she basically tore through everything that faced her regardless of how underleveled she was. I'm not certain how one would fair against human players but Crawdaunt has definitely earned my respect. :)

I didn't care for Arbok much in early gens but in 6th gen I built two for singles (one offensive, one defensive) and this Poke simply rocks. I mainly battle with my cousin and brother and it's one of the main checks I use against even their OUs. I'll admit I suck at singles, but this thing has won me a good share of fights. It's nice having only 2 weaknesses. :)

NocturnalNetwork

Formerly LatiasMusic
Sigilyph. One day, I was derping on Random battles and my foe had one. At first, I thought "meh", but then, after 6 Cosmic Powers, that thing killed my entire team with Stored Power.

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Speaking of Stored Power, I completely forgot how scary Swoobat can be until I decided to use one during my latest run through Y. Combined with Simple, Calm Mind easily makes Stored Power even more powerful than Psychic, while making the little bat a pain to take down (unless you're a physical attacker, but meh). It did take a bit of set-up, yes, but a bit of prediction and that thing is such a nice bulky sweeper. :'D

I didn't really care about Plusle and Minun until I started to use one of the two (I think the only difference from these two is Minun being more defensive and Plusle being more offensive). Anyway, for the heck of it I decided to use Minun in Omega Ruby and it was surprisingly not bad. I always found it cute, but never thought it would be useful.

I didn't care for Arbok much in early gens but in 6th gen I built two for singles (one offensive, one defensive) and this Poke simply rocks.
I love Arbok so much. I finally got the chance to use it in Y version and it was very helpful.

[QUOTE ="Kyubeon, post: 225487, member: 19"]Beheeyem is currently at the top of my list; almost nobody seems to realize its deadly potential in singles .[ QUOTE ]
Finally I'm not the only one who likes Beheeyem. That thing was so useful first time I used in White version, especially in the Elite 4.

The Pokemon that immediately springs to mind for me is most of the caterpillar Pokemon (caterpie,weedle,scatterbug). Once, in X, I caught a shiny scatterbug. I was like, "meh, I'll use it because it's a shiny." So, like they rest of my team, I leveled it up. Eventually, it evolved into vivllion and I hadn't used it once. I actually forgot it was even in my team. I was a part of the game where you meet team flare and I had just finished a gym battle. I forgot to heal my team and the only fully healed Pokemon I had was vivillion. I threw it out against a mightena and thought "I'm going to lose for sure." Surprisingly, vivllion had some pretty decent moves, including draining kiss. I used draining kiss and one hit KOed the mightena. After that, I have never underestimated a caterpillar Pokemon. Ever.

The Pokemon that immediately springs to mind for me is most of the caterpillar Pokemon (caterpie,weedle,scatterbug). Once, in X, I caught a shiny scatterbug. I was like, "meh, I'll use it because it's a shiny." So, like they rest of my team, I leveled it up. Eventually, it evolved into vivllion and I hadn't used it once. I actually forgot it was even in my team. I was a part of the game where you meet team flare and I had just finished a gym battle. I forgot to heal my team and the only fully healed Pokemon I had was vivillion. I threw it out against a mightena and thought "I'm going to lose for sure." Surprisingly, vivllion had some pretty decent moves, including draining kiss. I used draining kiss and one hit KOed the mightena. After that, I have never underestimated a caterpillar Pokemon. Ever.
Yeah, Vivllion is great in my opinon. Quiver Dance + Bug Buzz = Take my money Gamefreak

Vivillon also has Compoundeyes Sleep Powder AND Hurricane. So ouch.

Sawsbuck really amazed me. And by amazed me, I mean it amazed me how often my opponents forget it's a Grass type, attempt to Leech Seed it MULTIPLE TIMES, and it gets 3 Swords Dances and murders them all...IN THE SUN. Granted, this was back in Gen V when weather was basically permanent. Nowadays, not so useful, but it happened. Repeatedly.

KoL's set taught me firsthand how amazing Slurpuff can be. That thing will ruin days, friends.

Gastrodon. I decided to give it a try since I had never used one before. My Gastrodon has the Storm Drain ability, and I use it in double battles with my Milotic that knows Surf. Let me tell you, after a Surf or two, Gastrodon becomes a big threat (it's kinda slow, but it can take a few hits)

Simisage (Pokemon X) and Beedrill (Heartgold) have exceeded my expectations. The fighter attributes compliment them very well, except when I have to go up against fire and flying Pokemon.

A Pokemon I rarely see used but that I grown to like very much is Accelgor. It has a multitude of options and a very potent speed stat to use. Taunt, Spikes and Encore make for great disruption and Focus Blast, Giga Drain along with Sludge Bomb give it some nice coverage.

And it has a pretty cool look to it as well.

I'm currently replaying my old Silver version just for funsies, and after all these years I've never tried Furret. So I thought what the heck, let's do it. This thing is so much fun to use and I think it's learnset is pretty good against the gym leaders (in gen 2 anyway). If they remake Johto I will rock Furret for sure.

Speaking of Stored Power, I completely forgot how scary Swoobat can be until I decided to use one during my latest run through Y. Combined with Simple, Calm Mind easily makes Stored Power even more powerful than Psychic, while making the little bat a pain to take down (unless you're a physical attacker, but meh). It did take a bit of set-up, yes, but a bit of prediction and that thing is such a nice bulky sweeper. :'D

Ok ... Zoroark use Punishment on @Kyubeon ('s) Swoobat
And a Pokemon that has exceeded my expectations is Darmanitan. When at level 46 it one hit k'od white kyruem using flare blitz