• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

#654 - Braixen

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
654-0.png

#654 - Braixen
[type=fire][/type]

20446_info.png

Japanese Name:
Teerunaa
Classification: Fox Pokémon
Height: 1.0m
Weight: 14.5kg
Egg Group: Field

20450_abilities.png

Ability: Blaze
Hidden Ability: Magician

20449_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Braixen was revealed along with Mega Garchomp, Mega Mewtwo X, Quilladin, Frogadier, Furfrou, Meowstic, Tyrunt, and Amaura on the 11th of September 2013 as part of the CoroCoro leak. It was later revealed internationally on Sept. 13th.

Additional Info: Once Fennekin evolves into Braixen, it no longer eats branches. But it still keeps a tree branch in its tail, which seems to calm the Pokémon.

20454_pokedex.png

X: It has a twig stuck in its tail. With friction from its tail fur, it sets the twig on fire and launches into battle.
Y: When the twig is plucked from its tail, friction sets the twig alight. The flame is used to send signals to its allies.

20453_locations.png

Friend Safari

20455_evolution.png

20497_653-655.png

Evolves from Fennekin at level 16 and into Delphox at level 36.

20462_levelup.png

--- Scratch
--- Tail Whip
Lv. 5 - Ember
Lv. 11 - Howl
Lv. 14 - Flame Charge
Lv. 18 - Psybeam
Lv. 22 - Fire Spin
Lv. 27 - Lucky Chant
Lv. 30 - Light Screen
Lv. 34 - Psyshock
Lv. 41 - Flamethrower
Lv. 45 - Will-O-Wisp
Lv. 48 - Psychic
Lv. 51 - Sunny Day
Lv. 53 - Magic Room
Lv. 55 - Fire Blast

20469_artwork.png

Braixen.png
20470_screenshots.png

Braixen_Official_Screenshot_1_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
Braixen_Official_Screenshot_3_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
Braixen_Official_Screenshot_2_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fennekin Digivolves to Renamon! I guess I like this. It looks more feminine now, like it's wearing a dress or that its hips don't lie. But she could clean itself up a little more. Homegurl has a twig in her tail plus her ear fur is completely unruly now.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I really don't like this thing and as much as I like Fennekin, this puts me off using it. Not quite as much as I don't want to use Chespin, but close!

It's just trying too hard to be...girly? Also, the twig in its tail is totally something to do with magic, it's another magical girl! :D

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Dem Hips....
I like the design, but I'm still choosing Froakie.

Last edited:
The random twig suggests a very nature-y feel that makes me think the final form will gain Fairy typing. I was never a fan of Fennekin, and this only solidifies that. I doubt I would ever use this, but if the final evo is Fire/Fairy, it just might see some conpetitive use from me.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
The random twig suggests a very nature-y feel that makes me think the final form will gain Fairy typing. I was never a fan of Fennekin, and this only solidifies that. I doubt I would ever use this, but if the final evo is Fire/Fairy, it just might see some conpetitive use from me.
It's totally going to be a tail-broom. This middle stage looks a bit witch-like to me and I can just imagine it pulling its tail off, using some psychic ability on itself and flying around xD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's just trying too hard to be...girly?

I don't feel strongly for or against this design in general but I agree that it seems a bit too feminine for my liking. By chance that dress-like fur was completely unintentional, I'd be interested to know what they were going for when designing this critter. The twig in its tail seems rather random but perhaps it's used as a weapon? I'm sure all will make sense once it evolves though... or so I hope. xp

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
This thing is clearly a magical moon witch and it's going to evolve into Sakuyamon.

... Well, at least it isn't Fire/Fighting.

I Will start with chespin and fennekin fennekin is going to be pokemon x and chespin pokemon y i love there second evolutions and first one and i think u can start with 2 (the kanto starters) so i will start with chespin and charmander for y and fennekin and squirtle for y and this pokemon learns phy cut i think

Hmmm... This isn't quite as terribad as the Grass balloon, the 3rd stage can have potential I think! Still looking at Fennekin as a starter for me. Worst comes to worst, I'll just ditch all of the starters like I did in Gen V.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Guys... If you go to Serebii, they've uploaded clear pictures of the Coro Coro leaks. If you look REAL CLOSE, there's a pic of Teerunaa battling. The stick is in his/her hand! I think it's a wand.

According to the video, she uses it as some sort of wand? So I predict that she will become either part psychic or fairy. Braixen definitely gives me sort of a witchery sort of feel when looking at it, so I would think that its final evo will look somewhat like a witch or some sort of sorceress. It looks like it specializes in special attack too. However, like Quilladin, I'm not really a HUGE fan of its design, but I'll take it now that I've seen it in game. it would be interesting to train and frankly I hope that it has an even gender ratio, if not one favoring the female side.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Interesting wand concept I have to say. Braixen has admittedly interested me a little, but there's just no way I can have another Fire Type on my team (as it's looking like Charmander and Fletching will already be squished onto my team). Definitely interested to see the final stage of this evolutionary line though.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
According to the video, she uses it as some sort of wand? So I predict that she will become either part psychic or fairy.

Judging by the moves Fennekin and Braixen have been using I'm leaning more towards Fire/Psychic than Fire/Fairy. That would also fall in line with earlier rumors re: the types of the final stage starters (Grass/Ground, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting I believe they were rumored to be). That being said, Fire/Fairy would be an interesting type combo so I wouldn't be disappointed with it. Either would be nice. ^^

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The rumors said Grass/Dark, actually, but yeah.

If the rumors are true I'd imagine that it'd be Fire/Psychic - being Fire/Fairy would give it an unfair advantage over the other two starters (as Fairy beats both Fighting AND Dark).

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I honestly think it will be Fire/Fairy and end up as a Witch.

And keeping on THAT rumor, Chespin goes the Knight route and ends Grass/Steel (yes, double weak to fire, but has the advantage over Fairy). Froakie goes Rouge and is either Water/Dark or Water/Fighting (Possibly even Poison for the tree frog?), either works in this case.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Actually pretty annoyed now because Braixen has really, really grown on me and I'm really wishing that I could choose it. But, so many Fire-Types and so little team space. Alas. Definitely will choose Fennekin when I play through X after completing Y.

Okay, after getting a better look at the artwork and its 3D model in the game, I actually quite like Braixen and thing she's very cute. And yes, I meant she. If I were to choose Fennekin (it's still a toss up between her and Froakie) I would reset until I got a girl. It'd be nice if Gamefreak deviates from the usual 86.2% (or something) chance of getting a male to make things easier. Fairy is already shaping up to be cool re: weaknesses and strengths so I wouldn't mind it becoming a fairy type either.

No, it isn't otherwise the other starters would have gender forms, this is what both genders will looks like just like Gardevoir and Gothitelle are feminine in appearance yet can be either gender

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
They only look "Feminine" by human standards. These creatures are not human and human perceptions of gender really do not apply to them.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
And it's happened. I have seen Braixen one to many times and have now decided its my favourite of the three. My love of foxes is sadly proving too much for me to resist. I may have to find some way to start with Fennekin. I'll of course wait until the final stages are revealed to make my full decision, but I'm leaning towards Fire once again! This generation is my bane as far as awesome Fire-Types go!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm still very neutral on its design myself but I couldn't help but chuckle when my youngest sister saw Braixen for the first time and said, "Why is it so fat?" I tried to explain that it's just the fur around the hips poofing out like a cloak but my sister shook her head and said, "No, it just looks fat. It needs to exercise more."

I'll never be able to look at it the same way again. XD

This might be my first time choosing the Fire starter for my first playthrough. But I love that it's supposed to be a witch. Obviously I'll wait until the final evolution to decide 100% but my heart is set on Fennekin now just because of Braixen.

i liked chespin and froakie for starters but when quilladin came I went for froakie because frogadier is so awesome, this one and frogadier are the best mid evolution and so im going for froakie. maybe the best two are going to be the fire and grass ones for its 3rd stage

In my opinion, I think that Braixen is a very... unique starter Pokémon. I also think that its name is a mix between branch and vixen. Branch being, of course, for the branch in its tail and vixen being a name for a female fox, as it looks very feminine.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, it's more likely that the 'Brai' part derives from 'Braise', which is a cooking technique that involves searing things WITH FIRE.

Ha Ha!! Braise is another good possibility for the 'Brai' part of Braixens name. I never thought of that! Also, FIRE FOR THE WIN!! I'm definitely going to choose Fennekin as my starter and, me being the weird person I am, am going to name it Ylvis, after Ylvis: The Fox, whether it be a boy or girl.

...this is why I always do my research before choosing any Pokemon.

When I first saw all the starters, I liked Fennekin, but...but this totally turned me off.
I'm a total tomboy, I don't like feminine things, I especially hate dresses, so this is just...ugh.

My brother seems happy with it though...but I can't help giggling because he named his Fennekin "Batman"...XD