• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Welp, seeing that I am interested in both games and had wanted to start a discussion thread for them, I'll use this one instead. :)

For the longest time I followed the SSB 3DS and Wii U news with mild interest. While the games were looking good and were sure to be good due to being Smash Bros. (I've heavily enjoyed all of them to date), much of them seemed like more-of-the-same to me beyond the new player characters. It wasn't until I saw the Smash Bros. specific Nintendo Direct, watched the Smash Bros. Invitational Tournament and learned more about the games during E3 that I genuinely began to take a serious interest in them. Assuming that the Wii U version doesn't get pushed back into 2015 I will very happily be buying both versions of the game before the year is out, most likely on day one. :up:

As of now my interest in the Wii U version far exceeds my wants for its handheld counterpart. Not only do I like the graphical look and control options of the Wii U version better, I'm a bit wary of playing a game like Smash Bros. on a smaller display. I've never been a huge fan of handheld Mario Kart games because they've always fit more naturally for me on a larger TV screen, for a variety of reasons, and I suspect that Smash Bros. may end up having a similar feel due to its frantic gameplay. When playing any of the previous versions I sometimes have trouble following my player character when a stage pans out too far, so I can only imagine how tiny things might get on an already smaller display. But I'm (mostly) keeping an open mind and will give the 3DS game a proper chance, if for no other reason than the fact that it'll be releasing first.:p

I'm interested in testing out all of the new characters (and revisiting the majority of the older ones) but I'm most excited for Mega Man, Greninja, Little Mac, and Mii Fighter. In particular the custom moveset options for Mii Fighter sound awesome and I'm definitely going to spend some time trying to figure my perfect balance. I'm also veryyy hyped to give both Lucario and Charizard a go thanks to their new Final Smash attacks. ♥

Not much more to ramble at the moment aside from my complete fanwhore love for them giving us proper costume changes this time 'round. What I've seen thus far is so much better than simple colourswaps. Can't wait to see what else is offered (shiny Pokemon templates plzkthx):

468px-LittlemacalsihgowrgbowklniknbiyucyfzlCfzR6ycoUrHCgRaA.jpg
468px-VillagerfemialaemfskrgnaelkhjnzlCfzR7moQEG6Tq6xO.jpg
468px-ZlCfzSFZD20lxf4hs5.jpg
468px-ZlCfzSHLYeknTJ-uhA.jpg
468px-ZlCfzSJbaRIp0NpuD5.jpg

Also, completely unrelated, but this:
Mariosonicmegamnapacmandh4yzlCfzSCqgRoNzlmoU0.jpg

That is all~

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
Wow! I had not seen the news for the costumes! I really like Silver Samus and Link's costume.

I'm not sure if you all know this but a leak has recently come out for this game. First it was just a picture of the Super Smash Bros 4 roster wich included newcomers like Bowser Jr and The dog from Duck Hunt as well as old veterans like Dr Mario and Ness. Then a video of Bowser Jr in Super Smash Bros came out.To make the leak seem even more real is the fact that the video that was leaked has been taken down from Youtube by Nintendo. When asked about the leak, Nintendo had " nothing to say ".

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp, seeing that I am interested in both games and had wanted to start a discussion thread for them, I'll use this one instead. :)

For the longest time I followed the SSB 3DS and Wii U news with mild interest. While the games were looking good and were sure to be good due to being Smash Bros. (I've heavily enjoyed all of them to date), much of them seemed like more-of-the-same to me beyond the new player characters. It wasn't until I saw the Smash Bros. specific Nintendo Direct, watched the Smash Bros. Invitational Tournament and learned more about the games during E3 that I genuinely began to take a serious interest in them. Assuming that the Wii U version doesn't get pushed back into 2015 I will very happily be buying both versions of the game before the year is out, most likely on day one. :up:

As of now my interest in the Wii U version far exceeds my wants for its handheld counterpart. Not only do I like the graphical look and control options of the Wii U version better, I'm a bit wary of playing a game like Smash Bros. on a smaller display. I've never been a huge fan of handheld Mario Kart games because they've always fit more naturally for me on a larger TV screen, for a variety of reasons, and I suspect that Smash Bros. may end up having a similar feel due to its frantic gameplay. When playing any of the previous versions I sometimes have trouble following my player character when a stage pans out too far, so I can only imagine how tiny things might get on an already smaller display. But I'm (mostly) keeping an open mind and will give the 3DS game a proper chance, if for no other reason than the fact that it'll be releasing first.:p

I'm interested in testing out all of the new characters (and revisiting the majority of the older ones) but I'm most excited for Mega Man, Greninja, Little Mac, and Mii Fighter. In particular the custom moveset options for Mii Fighter sound awesome and I'm definitely going to spend some time trying to figure my perfect balance. I'm also veryyy hyped to give both Lucario and Charizard a go thanks to their new Final Smash attacks. ♥

Not much more to ramble at the moment aside from my complete fanwhore love for them giving us proper costume changes this time 'round. What I've seen thus far is so much better than simple colourswaps. Can't wait to see what else is offered (shiny Pokémon templates plzkthx):

Also, completely unrelated, but this:
That is all~
OMG AMERICAN MARIO!!!!
Okay...I'm calm.
I'm glad that falco Lombardi is here again (I thought he would be removed) and I'm also happy that bowser jr's palette swaps are the koopalings as well, now I can play as iggy and Ludwig!

Last edited:
i am very unhappy with the duck hunt dog being added (im also a bit mad with dark pit being added) and its too late to remove him. also im upset with the palette swaps, they are just recolors again. they put more work into some (bowser jr., pikachu, jigglypuff, villager) and just do simple recolors for others. i was hoping that some good possible palette swaps could be dry bowser for bowser and some different reincarnations of link, zelda and ganondorf. instead we got simple recolors from brawl. worrying about OR/AS, forget it theyve fixed it now, the designs are fine. its too late to fix the new smash bros as it was released in japan. it just upsets me

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
May as well dig this topic up again since the 3DS game at least is actually out now.

First impressions of the roster:

- Captain Falcon and Bowser seem much stronger than their Brawl incarnations and stronger than ever in Bowser's case. Falcon is once again back to being the agile combo-based fighter he was before Brawl gutted him and Bowser's retooled moveset gives him overall better range on a lot of moves (Forward Smash and Neutral Air especially) and it has helped him tremendously.

- On the flip side Meta Knight is far weaker than his infamous Brawl incarnation but still feels like a strong fighter all around, not unbearable anymore but still very usable. Disappointing fighters for me include Samus, who feels no stronger than her already weak Brawl incarnation (although ZSS feels very strong once again) and I'm not a big fan of Greninja either so far due to his short hop being far too high (it's meant to be a SHORT hop after all) and Water Shuriken's charging method fouling your usual muscle memory as far as charged projectiles in Smash are concerned.

- Other newcomers that stand out for me (for better or worse) include Little Mac, who I can see being a situational but strong character due to his incredible ground game balanced by awful air game and recovery, Robin for being an interesting "magic swordsman" character (although I can't see him/her being a particularly strong character in the long run due to how weak the "swordsman" aspect is,) Wii Fit Trainer for being completely silly and finally Lucina for basically being Marth with a different name - and nothing else.

Discuss.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
My input on characters that I've played thus far:

Robin - My outright favorite pre-release, and still easily my favorite afterwards. Robin has a very strong ranged and melee game, so long as you can keep track of your weapon durability. Levin smashes are insanely powerful, but come packed with very long openings after use. Aerial attacks are amazing if you keep Levin Sword in hand, back-air especially so. Arcfire is great for zoning opponents, and the various stages of thunder are each useful in their own right.

Shulk - Strange but lovable. Shulk's Manado Arts allow him to shift his stats mid-battle, and it comes in five flavors: Jump, Speed, Shield, Thunder, and Smash. Jump and Speed are relatively self-explainatory,
  • Shield greatly resists knockback allowing Shulk to shrug off even smash attacks well up to 180%, but cuts his movement speed and jump height slightly.
  • Thunder boosts the raw damage shulk does, but cuts into his knockback and also makes Shulk easier to launch himself.
  • Smash is exact opposite to Thunder; increases knockback at the cost of damage accumulation.
Alongside this adaptability, Shulk has probably the best range of any melee character, but has an unfortunate lack of killing power without Smash activated.

Little Mac - He's lighter on his feet than Captain Falcon, quicker to swing than Metaknight and more powerful than Ike at full force, Mac is all about seizing and maintaining momentum - once he takes his first powerful launch, it's very difficult to recover from it and regain an offensive foothold. Mac can cancel dashes into smashes facing the opposite direction, his smashes have very little start-up and ending delay and on top of this, his forward smash is a shield-breaker. Mac's aerial game is horrible and his vertical recovery is worse than Link has ever had to deal with, but I feel his strengths more than outweigh this.

Bowser - The king finally feels like he should; Bulky and powerful, but not so slow that he can't actually do anything. Not a lot of detail that's really worth going into - he's had overall buffs to speed without any notable cuts to his power.

Lucina - Surprisingly much more than just a Marth clone! The two control very similarly, having visually identical movepools, but the shift of power out of the tip of the blade makes the two remarkably different to handle. Marth packs more power if you can be precise in your strikes, but Lucina can better damage those rolling to her backside, for instance.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
I'm having a lot of fun with this game, and I'm playing it way too much but it's never too much bwuarg. x-x

Shulk is definitely my favorite because I'm biased his Monado Arts are really fun to play with. So far, I've used Speed the least, mostly because extra Sanic Speed isn't always necessary, unless your fighting a speedy character like Sonic himself. Even then not the best choice. (Also, the fourth Monado Art is actually called Buster, sorry that was bugging me. .-.)

Robin is someone i thought i would like but I haven't used practically at all. While he/she has quite a few projectiles (5 if you count all forms of Thunder), they're melee attacks aren't very ranged and their air mobility is just a little too slow for my taste.

Lucina is surprisingly good for a clone. I never hated her, but I never expected to main her. Despite having a shorter sword than Marth, she still has range, and balanced power really helps since you no longer have to be precise with your blows. I am sad that she seems to be "training wheels" Marth, however. I wish there was something more unique about her.

Dark Pit. I've always liked him more than his squeaky voiced counterpart even though they have the same voice actor. Admittedly, the difference between them is very small. Dark Pit's slower, but has more power, kinda like Dr. Mario. His Specials are also a little different, with his Bow shooting slower, less controlled arrows that are more powerful. And his Electrodash Arm sends foes at a 45 degree angle rather than straight up. So what makes you use Pittoo over Pit? Nothing...really. They're pretty interchangeable. But I use DPit because he just bleeds coolness.

I could say more but that's all for now. Can't wait for some future Pokecharms tournaments! Do we have any of those planned, or are we waiting for the Wii U version?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Can't wait for some future Pokecharms tournaments! Do we have any of those planned, or are we waiting for the Wii U version?

I guess since I organize tournaments here I can field an answer. As with our Pokemon tournaments, everything is pretty much done through popular vote. If enough members want a Smash tournament on 3DS then one will be held, simple as that.

I've probably spoiled this one numerous times already, but Ganondorf is an unlockable in SSB4 to the surprise of no-one. He's almost identical to his Brawl incarnation except considerably quicker in all areas and his down-air has been nerfed significantly. At the very least, it made picking him up again extremely easy for me since I mained him in Brawl, and while he's no longer the dreadful character he was in Brawl, he still seems fairly average compared to characters like Captain Falcon and Bowser.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Robin ... they're melee attacks aren't very ranged and their air mobility is just a little too slow for my taste.

I'd have to disagree with you here. Robin's melee attacks have above average melee range and power... so long as you're using the Levin Sword. He/She doesn't compare to someone like Marth, but his/her range isn't short aside from his tilt attacks.

I finally buckled and bought myself Smash on 3ds. I am enjoying it quite a bit. Its great when I don't have much time in between transports, just finish a couple of fast smash fights to keep entertained.I have been enjoying the mii fighters a lot actually, its really fun to tailor the moves to that extent.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This recent Nintendo Direct focused on the Wii U version of the game was pretty good, so anyone who missed it can check it out here:

Or just read IGN's article overviewing each point.

Or just know that there are a handful of new modes exclusive to the Wii U version, a bunch of old and new modes will allow co-op and multiplayer options, 5-8 player Smash battles are a thing (and 8-player Smash battles are restricted to a select number of larger stages), and Mewtwo is coming next Spring as DLC - free DLC if you own both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game!