• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Super-Secret Base Revealed For Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire!

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
secret_base_art_300dpi.jpg

Exciting news today for Pokémon fans awaiting Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, as it has been revealed that Secret Bases will be making a return! Secret Bases will be making their return in the form of Super-Secret Bases which, as with the Secret Bases in Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire, can be customised with many different items.​

july_p24_02_pug.jpg

However, with their return the bases have had a few updates. Thanks to the wonders of the 3DS' StreetPass feature players will be able to share their bases with one another. They'll also be able to create a QR code for their base which can be shared.
july_p24_06_tro.jpg
july_p25_02_bsc.jpg

When visiting another player's base you'll be able to do battle with the player or invite them back to your own Secret Base where they can become a Secret Pal. Secret Pals will have special skills that can help you out on your adventure, such as giving you new decorations for your base, levelling up your Pokémon by one level, or giving you the power to hatch Pokémon eggs quicker. As you visit more Secret Bases and capture the flags they hold the power of your Secret Pals will increase. Where battles are concerned, players will be able to set their own rules for battles, meaning you never know what challenge you may face when you come across a friend's Secret Base!
Aarune.png

To introduce players to the Super-Secret Base a brand new character known as Aarune, who is an expert on the subject, will be teaching you about bases during your journey.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I was never really that big a fan of the secret bases when playing the original Ruby and Sapphire games, but they definitely gave a nubmer of great improvements to this feature since they now basically merged all of the previous wifi interactions such as the Dream World, Sinnoh Underground, and Join Avenue together into one amazing feature

However, the one thing that I'm excited about more than anything is the fact that we can actually turn our secret bases into our very own mock Pokémon gyms. This can open so many possibilities for people who to interact and battle each other in their bases and, even though it may not be an in-game canon gym, we now may finally have the possibility of battling a Dark type gym (if someone decides to make one, of course :p )

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Not just plain old secret bases anymore, now they're SUPER DUPER TOP SECRET BASES WITH A CD-ROM DRIVE AND A BIG OL' HARD DRIVE AND A HUGE GUITAR AMP SO I CAN PLAY BTOS- *rants and raves into the stratosphere*

Ahem. Silly name aside. Secret Bases have always been kind of a "Look at all the *EFF!*s I give!" feature to me and I fully expect them to remain that way in OR/AS. I appreciate the fact that you can set up sorta-gyms in them, but yeah. I'm wondering how exactly are they going to connect and what happens if multiple people have decided to put their base in the same spot. <<

Last edited:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm wondering how exactly are they going to connect and what happens if multiple people have decided to put their base in the same spot. <<

I'd guarantee you can only access one foreign base in your game at a time, so it won't matter whether or not people are using the same spot - they'll never co-exist anyway.

I like the idea of being able to share your base as "your Gym" (the wording of this feature - which was basically in the original R/S anyway - kinda gives away that GameFreak are chasing the people clamouring for stuff like this in a 'Pokemon MMO' without acquiescing to their core desire) and it certainly works a lot better now with online sharing and streetpass to give it a real life. But, I'm not convinced that there'll be enough reward to make the time required to put into it worth it.

It, much like another Gen III feature I'm sure will return in some form (contests), just never really had any real reason to bother with it as you got nothing of value in-game from it. I don't really see there being much change here.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm half and half on whether I'm excited about this or not... on the one hand I was never all that fussed about them in the original games. But on the other hand... omg those plushies! Plushies ♥ I want the Treecko, Snorlax and Charizard already. And I do remember there being a Skitty Plushie... want! ^__^

Oh and flower pots! I loved the flowers~

I'm excited about the news, and glad the bases are multiplayer compatible (to an extent), which means there's an added use other than to collect all the furniture while you're breeding, WonderTrading (hopefully this stays!) and battling all the time.

It seems people are fairly skeptical about this, though. Truly, it is filler, no doubt about that, similar to avatar dress-up in X/Y. This time all it is, is a medium from which to use Spotpass and other Multiplayer features work through.

There were always filler content, like contests as someone mentioned before and the like, but I honestly don't see people uninterested in bases and contests being disappointed at all, as it seems like they only want their story, Mega Stone Locations, breeding, trading and battling, and it wouldn't be a Pokemon game without those!

Though I lol'd at Super being added to the name. Must be because of the "new"ish multiplayer functionality.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I absolutely adored Secret Bases back in Gen III so you better believe that I'm stoked about this information. Pokecharms QR Code sharing topic gogogo! I shall collect them all~ :halo:

The fact that they're taking things one step further and adding Join Avenue-like features is just the cherry on top for me. When I actually bothered to put some effort into my Join Avenue I found that some of the perks invaluable (especially the happiness boosting services) so I'll definitely make the most of whatever the Super-Secret Bases have to offer too. :)

I am not not surprised, but I am nevertheless delighted! I like how they are incorporating features from Gens IV and V into this as well, to make it more fresh and exciting.

All the plushies shall be mine, yes.

Jhan Garc

Formerly AkenabeShiro
Secret Bases! Now a mini Gym! The plushies! I want OR more now!!!!!!!!!!!

Also,Aarune,in the original games,was the guy that gave you Secret Power!

Last edited:
This will look ABSOLUTELY amazing. Especially the plushies....HUG ALL THE PLUSHIES! And the Secret Pals thing will be a pretty neat function alongside it.