• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sun/Moon Starters, Region, Boxarts and Release Date confirmed

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
box.jpg

After two long months since the games were first confirmed, we finally have some real information about this year's brand new Pokemon games.
alola.jpg alolamap.jpg
The games will be set in a region called Alola - based on Hawaii as speculated back in February. As expected from a region based on Hawaii, it's very much a volcanic island setting and seems to be actually quite relatively small from the map view we can see - perhaps indicating we'll see more than this one area in the game.

It's apparent from the brief glimpses of gameplay that we've seen that the game has eschewed its top-down look and chibified characters from XY for a full 3D world with full-size proportioned characters, a move that may extend to seeing animated trainer models in all battles at last. We've also seen indications that character customisation - introduced in XY but missing in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - will return to some degree.
running.jpg rowlet-battle.jpg
In terms of Pokemon, we were introduced to five new Pokemon in the games - the starters and the main box art legendaries. While we don't know anything more about the legendaries, we do know a fair amount now about the starters:

rowlet.png
Name: Rowlet
Category: Grass Quill Pokémon
Height: 1 '00 "
Weight: 3.3 lbs.
Type: Grass/Flying
Ability: Overgrow
Starting Move: Leafage

The first of the potential partners is the highly adaptable Grass Quill Pokémon, Rowlet. This Pokémon can fly silently through the skies, sneaking up on its opponent without being noticed. It can attack its opponents using powerful kicks, and it can also attack from a distance using the razor-sharp leaves that form part of its feathers. Rowlet can survey its environment and turn its neck nearly 180 degrees from front to back, so it can see directly behind itself. When in battle, Rowlet turns its head to face its Trainer when waiting for instructions.

litten.png
Name: Litten
Category: Fire Cat Pokémon
Height: 1 '04 "
Weight: 9.5 lbs.
Type: Fire
Ability: Blaze
Starting Move: Ember

The cool-headed Fire Cat Pokémon, Litten, is the next choice for a first-partner Pokémon. Litten’s fur is rich in oils and is immensely flammable. It constantly grooms itself by licking its coat, collecting loose fur into balls. It then ignites these hairballs to create fireball attacks. When the time comes for Litten to molt, it burns off all of its fur in one glorious blaze.

popplio.png
Name: Popplio
Category: Sea Lion Pokémon
Height: 1 '04 "
Weight: 16.5 lbs.
Type: Water
Ability: Torrent
Starting Move: Water Gun

The third possibility is the acrobatic Sea Lion Pokémon, Popplio. Popplio can create balloons made of water from its nose and utilize them to create a variety of different strategies and attacks in battle. This Pokémon is better at moving in the water than on land, and can swim at speeds over 25 mph. On land, it uses the elasticity of the balloons it creates to perform jumps and acrobatic stunts.
The release date for Sun and Moon will be the 18th November 2016 in North America, Japan South Korea and Hong Kong/Taiwan, and the 23rd November in the UK and Europe.

Uploaded for Europe and North America, this trailer introduces the new Pokemon, the region and gives us a glimpse of the game and new Legendaries in action:

Meanwhile, Japan got a more inspiring look at the new games, presented through the eyes of a Japanese child moving to Hawaii and connecting to his new classmates via Pokemon, apparently reflecting the journey of the main character in the game:

The official Pokemon website has also updated with the new Sun Moon microsite with even more images and details on the new starters:

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/ (Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon | Pokemon.com/SunMoon)

In the coming months we'll be covering the game even more, and we'll be sorting out our Cryptidex soon to begin cataloguing these new 7th Generation Pokemon. Hopefully this somewhat unexpectedly large burst of news has got you guys as hyped as it has us.

Last edited:
Holy shit, the japanese trailer. I DID NOT ASK FOR THESE FEELS.

The japanese trailer also shows a split-second view of a trainer selection screen with different eye- and skin-colors, so maybe trainer customization is back!

sun and moon player character choice.png

ETA: The wardrobe might be back, a redditor pointed out that the kid's chosen avatar has a different striped shirt in the trailer:

344abe216935aeb5a661987a0c71f26c.png

A WORLD OF HYPE AND ADVENTURES AWAITS.

Last edited:
I'm choosing Rowlet! My little bro is choosing Popplio, is it? Also I think that kid in the orange shorts, black t-shirt and green hair is your rival, so that's neat! And your cousin is probably like a tutorial character.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm choosing Rowlet! My little bro is choosing Popplio, is it? Also I think that kid in the orange shorts, black t-shirt and green hair is your rival, so that's neat! And your cousin is probably like a tutorial character.

Kukui seems to be Professor Hala's assistant.

Oh my god, the hype is real. I think I just completely fell in love with Rowlet, but more importantly than that, I love the perspective change most of all. Just that tiny change seems to make the world so much more immersive, at least from that little bit of gameplay footage, I freaking love it. Not sure how I feel about the legendaries themselves as of yet, I mean, I don't think they're bad designs, on the contrary they're pretty cool, but nothing that instantly makes me go omgineedthisrightnow kinda thing. We'll see how they pan out. Fingers crossed that there's trainer customization again, but from what we've seen I'd say that seems pretty likely.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
HAWAII AND CHINESE LANGUAGE AND LOOK AT THOSE ADORABLE STARTERS AHHHHHHHHHHH

THAT'S IT I'M BUYING THE GAMES. IT'S LIKE THEY WERE MADE FOR ME.

Seriously though, this is some amazing news to wake up to! Litten looks like it might evolve into a tiger Pokemon just by its striped markings, but I guess we'll see sometime in the future.

Holy crap I'm so excited ;;

Since I'm getting both games, I'll probably get Rowlet in the other one because they did a really good job of making him special-- he's a dual-type and has a new move I've never even heard of... is it bad that I'm already DYING of hype?

Honestly I was hoping for something different in the mascot pokemon, is that really the best they can do? The mascot for sun looks like it is some ancient form of luxray, don't get me wrong they do look pretty cool. But honestly... could nintendo not come up with anything better? (Also for people who have played pokemon ranger the region names will be pretty confusing, seeing that the region for pokemon ranger was also based on Hawaii) And the moon mascot kinda looks like it is a distant relative of Cresselia, other than that i'm really hyped (also fun fact there is an owl called an Owlet, not hard to see where Rowlet got its name from)

AAAHHHHH I CANNOT WAIT IT LOOKS AWESOME AAAAHHH! (is ready to leave real life behind)

Ok i can wait till November (twitches a little) yeah i can do it

I will choose Litten

I am so excited I cant wait to play it, I hope we can change our hairstyle and clothes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alola_starters.png

Right now I'm thinking about going for Litten, what about you guys?

Honestly I was hoping for something different in the mascot pokemon, is that really the best they can do? The mascot for sun looks like it is some ancient form of luxray, don't get me wrong they do look pretty cool. But honestly... could nintendo not come up with anything better? (Also for people who have played pokemon ranger the region names will be pretty confusing, seeing that the region for pokemon ranger was also based on Hawaii) And the moon mascot kinda looks like it is a distant relative of Cresselia, other than that i'm really hyped (also fun fact there is an owl called an Owlet, not hard to see where Rowlet got its name from)

I totally agree. I thought the same thing for the starters as well, although the legendaries look pretty cool. Perhaps the creators felt so pressured to do well for their large fanbase that they ended up rushing it? I do feel like they're running out of ideas a little, but I'm super excited too for a whole new region.

Okay, personally, I'm probably going Popplio (and I think I'll name him Flipper), though its sad that not one person so far on here as said they want Popplio. As for Legendaries... eh. I don't like to be honest, though I think I'll probably go Moon (mainly because I hate the orange on the box art). As for gameplay... if profanity was allowed I would abuse it. The overworld looks like God just gave it to us, and the battles... SO GORGEOUS. As for trainer designs, the hair style is not to far off my own. Though one problem: Skin colour and hair. I do not want blue hair, I have beautiful brown hair, but the character model with the right hair colour has a low tan; so do I go for blue hair but right skin tone or right hair but with wrong skin tone :(. My avatar problems aside, the other character's models. The Rival's looks sweet as well as the professor's. And finally, the region being Hawaii based (I SAID IT WOULD BE HAWAII ALL ALONG YOU FOOLS >:D) I am 100% happy with that. And to finish off, the fact people say "the moon legendary looks like 'said pokemon' " , well, I think if this is related to anything (ironically) its Zubat; and why I say Zubat? Because its a goddam bat! >_<

I totally agree. I thought the same thing for the starters as well, although the legendaries look pretty cool. Perhaps the creators felt so pressured to do well for their large fanbase that they ended up rushing it? I do feel like they're running out of ideas a little, but I'm super excited too for a whole new region.
True i kinda thought that it looked like luxray but im getting that, the starters are a little dull but im still going with Litten.

Okay, personally, I'm probably going Popplio (and I think I'll name him Flipper), though its sad that not one person so far on here as said they want Popplio. As for Legendaries... eh. I don't like to be honest, though I think I'll probably go Moon (mainly because I hate the orange on the box art). As for gameplay... if profanity was allowed I would abuse it. The overworld looks like God just gave it to us, and the battles... SO GORGEOUS. As for trainer designs, the hair style is not to far off my own. Though one problem: Skin colour and hair. I do not want blue hair, I have beautiful brown hair, but the character model with the right hair colour has a low tan; so do I go for blue hair but right skin tone or right hair but with wrong skin tone :(. My avatar problems aside, the other character's models. The Rival's looks sweet as well as the professor's. And finally, the region being Hawaii based (I SAID IT WOULD BE HAWAII ALL ALONG YOU FOOLS >:D) I am 100% happy with that. And to finish off, the fact people say "the moon legendary looks like 'said pokemon' " , well, I think if this is related to anything (ironically) its Zubat; and why I say Zubat? Because its a goddam bat! >_<
Oh no, I am absolutely getting popplio, and naming him Leo!!

There was a reason I was hesitant on saying that the new game would be based off hawaii, mainly because of Pokemon Ranger. Pokemon Ranger's region is also based off hawaii. As for the moon mascot, it does look similar to Zubat but I was thinking more Noivern due to the fact it has hands on its wings. And one thing, maybe MooMoo milk could be replaced with coconut milk seeing that this is based off hawaii!

Oh no, I am absolutely getting popplio, and naming him Leo!!

It's good to see that some people want Popplio and it won't be left on the table (or, grass? Not confirmed) for all eternity. Personally, I do not like its design but it could do well in Alola depending on the amount of new fire types added.

For the starter I would pick... hmm that's tough. I'm torn between rowlet and popplio, but it's also good to see another Grass/Flying pokemon. I guess i can leave the decision to when I get the game, no need to get all hyped and then be bummed out.

Now one thing I want to get out of my system is names, where the heck did they get popplio from? Swampert fit it's typing of Ground/Water And Sceptile fit its looks and typing. But Popplio really? And Rowlet sounds better on a rock and flying or a Ground/Flying not Grass/Flying... And Litten... I have no idea how it fits besides that its a cat... Blaziken fit its typing as well as looks but these only fit looks, well all but popplio anyways. If you notice pokemon's names usually fit looks and typing not just looks, for example Articuno pigeons coo and Artic fits its typing, so when you hear Articuno it instantly sounds like and ice bird due to what we are used to hearing. But these new names confuse me, they don't fit there typing at all, Seel and Dewgong fit because Seals are water creatures and we know that Dew is water, so we know that they are water types and know what they look like. But these new names don't really fit...

Oh I also just found this ---> http://gamerant.com/pokemon-sun-moon-legendary-124/ (Pokemon Sun & Moon: New Legendary Pokemon Revealed?) Nintendo, you pretty much just called them Sun & Moon... How creative...