• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Singles Showdown 2014 - Battle Brackets

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
SHOWDOWN_zps26e96ee0.jpg

So, now that signups are over and you should all have a team (and if you don't yet it takes about 10 minutes to make one on Showdown anyway so no big deal) the tournament can begin. All battle brackets will be posted in this topic, and you will all be required to post your match results and any updates regarding your matchups here along the way.

This is copypasted straight from Smogon and will be the rules for the tournament:

Play Restrictions

Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any Pokémon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Thus:
A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Pain Split on its moveset.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Fling on its moveset.
Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize, in addition to the abilities Sand Veil and Snow Cloak, are not permitted in play.
Moody Clause: Pokémon with the ability Moody are not permitted.
OHKO Clause: A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
Sleep Clause: Only one Pokémon may be put to sleep on the opposing team at a time, if not induced by a move such as Rest.
Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
Pokémon may be up to level 100.

Banned Pokémon

Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Dialga
Genesect
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Kyurem-W
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zekrom

Banned Items

Gengarite
Kangaskhanite
Lucarionite

Banned Moves

Swagger

Any queries about this, I'll do my best to answer them. I'm pretty sure Showdown's OU lobby already enforces these rules automatically anyway so you'll know if your team doesn't comply if it gets kicked up to Ubers automatically. Now, the tournament will be a straight knockouts-style tournament so nothing really to explain. The first round matchups are as follows:

Teapot vs Ninetales and Jigglypuff
Rex vs Dinova
Shocari vs Mr. RMA
Ekans
vs Ruko
Tailon
vs Dwayna Dragonfire
Kyubeon vs Psycho Monkey

ROUND 2

Rex vs Ruko
Kyubeon
vs Teapot
Tailon vs Shocari

ROUND 3

Kyubeon vs Tailon
Ruko
vs -BYE-

FINAL

Ruko vs Tailon

CHAMPION

Ruko

You have until June 9th 2014 to finish these first-round matchups. I will be sending out a PM as a reminder to all competitors that this thread is up with all the details, and you can all then message each other to organize times for matches and whatnot. If any matchups are not completed, then the most active member will go through to the next round by default; because of this, make sure you keep your status up to date in this thread, even if it is just to say your opponent has yet to respond to you - I am not going to go chasing after people to find out if they're still around or not, if you don't keep me updated, I'm going to assume you're not active and you'll be disqualified.

Matches are one battle to a finish; beat your opponent once, they're gone and you go through. Simple as that.

Once more, the link to Pokemon Showdown is here if you need it:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/

...and all battles are to take place in the OU lobby since it naturally enforces the rules of the tournament anyway.

That is all. Best of luck to everyone.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention as well: Do NOT post replays or mention any details about any other player's team here or anywhere else until after the tournament is over. If you wish to keep a replay, PM it straight to me and I'll keep it safe until the tournament has ended, and then post all the replays for everyone to see. Anyone who fails to comply with this faces disqualification.

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Due to Dinova's computer exploding, Rex goes through to the next round by default.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I'm posting to state that I have received a PM from Ekans stating that he was available anytime, I asked him to grab me in chat and have been in chat 24/7 ever since [with minor hiccups in connection].

I've received no replies or notifications from him since.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Thanks for the update. If Ekans doesn't get back to you before the deadline, he will be DQ'd for inactivity.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
@Ruko

I apologize I have not been active because I have cramming for exams. What Showdown lobby are you on?

That's fine Ekans, as long as you're keeping us up to date with what you're doing we'll know you're at least still here and able to battle. As long as you and Ruko are able to work out a time and date before the deadline it'll be fine.

All matches should be taking place on the OU lobby preferably, but as long as you get your match done it doesn't really make a difference.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since Ninetales has basically dropped out Teapot goes through by default.

Round 2 is now up. You have until June 13th to finish this round.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I defeated Sho

You also broke this rule by posting the replay in chat:

Do NOT post replays or mention any details about any other player's team here or anywhere else until after the tournament is over. If you wish to keep a replay, PM it straight to me and I'll keep it safe until the tournament has ended, and then post all the replays for everyone to see.

Since Sho's already out and that means you've only revealed your own team to the other competitors I'll let you off with a written warning here. If you want to keep a replay, you PM it to me. DON'T make it public until the tournament has finished - if this tournament had a different format that allowed Sho to continue competing, you'd have disadvantaged him as well as yourself by showing that replay.

Last chance - don't do this again.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Shiny wins an incredibly intense and brilliant battle. A thoroughly well-played victory on her part.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Random number generator has now spat out Round 3.

Deadline is June 15th.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
That was quick.

Deadline for Tailon and Ruko is ASAP. Whoever loses the final will battle Shiny to decide 2nd and 3rd place.

Also the winner gets to choose a prize.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
...and by extension the tournament. Congratulations to our champion, Ruko.

There will be a list of prize Pokemon coming up for Ruko, Tailon and Kyubeon to collect in just one moment. I had intended for there to be a playoff to decide 2nd place, but Tailon has chosen to surrender 2nd place to Kyubeon, so the order of choosing will be Ruko first, then Kyubeon and then finally Tailon.

The prize list is as follows:

Perfect-bred EV trained Pokemon are:

Timid Prankster Meowstic
Adamant Huge Power Azumarill with Aqua Jet
Modest Chlorophyll Venusaur with HP Ground
Modest Snow Cloak Glaceon

Event/rare Pokemon are:

Pikachu-coloured Pichu (shiny Pichu in Cherish Ball)
VGC14 National Mamoswine (shiny Mamoswine)
Japanese Landorus (shiny)

Have at them. Also, some replays for you all:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-128668372 Rex vs Ruko
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-129013975 Ruko vs Tailon (Round 1)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-129015193 Ruko vs Tailon (Round 2)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-128896373 Tailon vs Kyubeon
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-127994742 Tailon vs Shocari
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-127178489 Ruko vs Ekans

Thank you to everyone who took part, and to give you all a rest I've decided to wait a week before making the monotype tournament signups official.

Last edited:

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I'll take a pass at the prizes, since I do virtually no gameplay from within the actual game anymore... and last I heard, Shiny didn't own the game :x

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
She can at least have something reserved for her when she finally does get it.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'll bring it up with the powers that be and see that it is done.

...unless I can do it myself.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I don't think I'm getting the games anytime soon, but since I can't think of any other prizes (already have a title and stuff) I guess I'll ask for the pichu XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
As I said I'm fine with saving the Pichu for you until you are able to collect it.

Now Tailon can choose his prize and you can all prepare, if you are willing and able, for next week's tournament: Monotype Showdown.