• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Role Play Questions

I read in the rules that Role Plays are to be done in 3rd person, and from what I understand it's a series of people completing the OP's stories.

Is there an option to Role Play as myself, as a Gym Leader and actually inviting people to battle my (INSERT TYPE) Gym?

I do have a backstory for myself, as well as actively acting the part of the backstory as well as the Gym Leader

I'm eager to post on the RP forums, but am afraid that my post will be out of context.

Any advice?

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Start a Discussion on the PRP board with your Gym Leader OC's bio and see if anyone bites. If your RP gets started though I'd suggest keeping your posts in 3rd person to keep consistency and flow with the other participants. Writing in first person for any reason in RPs is frowned upon as you've already read in the rules. Good luck! :)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
The reason we go for third person is to keep the flow of the story consistent - remember, RPs are basically collaborative, evolving stories. If your post is in first person, then another person posts as their character also in first person, the point of view jumps between characters every few paragraphs. If every character is expressed in third person, then there's a consistent viewpoint for the reader, and it's easier to follow. There is absolutely nothing stopping you playing a self-insert - many of us have done the same in the past. That particular guideline just exists to try and keep the RPs as high quality as possible. :)

It sounds to me like your plot idea has more legs than a lot of RPs I see - there is a clearly defined point for others to jump in, and a storyline that they will be able to follow. All you need to do is to craft a world that works, and write a first post with enough description to capture the imaginations of potential participants. I'd recommend at least four or five decent paragraphs, with lots of description and plenty of pointers as to what the plot will be, so people know how to jump in and what their characters will be up to.

If you wanted to discuss the RP first, or solicit interest before starting it proper, you're more than welcome to post in the Pokémon Role Play Discussions forum. But if you think your story is planned out and ready to go, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from crafting a good first post and posting it in the Pokémon Role Play board directly so you can get started.

Good luck, and have fun RPing! :)

Last edited: