• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokkén Tournament Adds Two New Fighters!

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Pokken.png
Two new Pokémon have today been revealed for Pokkén Tournament along with the opening for the game being revealed and a Japanese release date confirmed for its arcade release.

The first new addition to the game comes in the form of Dark and Ice type Pokémon Weavile. The Pokémon is a speed focused fighter and fights with ice type moves as you may expect. A short trailer for Weavile can be viewed below:

The second new Pokémon to be making its way is fan favourite Charizard! Charizard will be fighting with its signature fire type moves such as Flamethrower and and Flare Blitz, as well as having the ability to mega evolve into Mega Charizard X. A trailer showing off Charizard can be viewed below:

The opening movie for the game has been revealed as well and can be viewed below:​

Along with the announcement of the two new fighters it has been confirmed that Pokkén Tournament will be released in Japanese arcades on the 16th of July.​

Well... seeing THIS can we expect Mega Machamp :-O ?
This one looks nice so I would be very pleased seeing it in game :halo:

Weavile and Charizard confirmed? HELL YES!
Funny how on Ask I got asked for some of my favourite Pokémon today and I said that Charizard and Weavile were in my top 5. Just a few minutes later I found out they were confirmed. Suddenly interested.

... WHY is it always Mega Charizard X when it comes to these spinoff games?

Weavile looks fairly snazzy, though.
Well, at least it's Chary Y for Super Mystery Dungeon. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Weavile looks positively kick-ass in this! And Charizard's voicing sounds amazing! Hopefully they come to the Americas sometime soon! I really wanna get my hands on this! :D

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Maybe if this comes to Wii U we'll actually have a use for the Pokemon amiibo outside of Smash...they have the least functionality of them all and it's weird. Plus 3 of the Pokemon in smash are in Pokken...and Greninja and Mewtwo wouldn't be a surprise.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Maybe if this comes to Wii U we'll actually have a use for the Pokemon amiibo outside of Smash...they have the least functionality of them all and it's weird. Plus 3 of the Pokemon in smash are in Pokken...and Greninja and Mewtwo wouldn't be a surprise.
I'd fully expect a series of Pokken amiibo to accompany an inevitable Wii U release. (I will buy every one of them :x)

... WHY is it always Mega Charizard X when it comes to these spinoff games?

Weavile looks fairly snazzy, though.
Well in both Smash and Pokken Charizard X is the more physical of the two forms and I suppose suits the themes of combat better then the frailer Y. He also has more appeal to the younger crowd.

Well in both Smash and Pokken Charizard X is the more physical of the two forms and I suppose suits the themes of combat better then the frailer Y. He also has more appeal to the younger crowd.
lol but NEITHER of those games are set for a younger crowd, hell i know alot of parents who will not let their kids (even up to 13 years old!) play smash

lol but NEITHER of those games are set for a younger crowd, hell i know alot of parents who will not let their kids (even up to 13 years old!) play smash
That would surprise me greatly. The lack of blood and other gory bits and the overall colorful and pleasant atmosphere makes it a perfect game for older kids and young teens.

More Pokken news. It’s about bloody time!

I’m really excited about Weavile, it’s great that he is finally get some attention! Because, lets face it, Weavile is pretty under-loved. I’ll certainly give him a try when I get the game :D

Anyways, who do we have next? Oh it’s……

………Charizard……

…. I almost lost my shit when I saw this. Charizard does NOT, and I repeat, DOES NOT need any more attention. The fat orange dragon is overrated enough as it is. Even worse, they’re giving him his fugly (and overrated) X mega. I mean, WTF happened to Mega Zard Y??? Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed indeed.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
…. I almost lost my shit when I saw this. Charizard does NOT, and I repeat, DOES NOT need any more attention. The fat orange dragon is overrated enough as it is. Even worse, they’re giving him his fugly (and overrated) X mega. I mean, WTF happened to Mega Zard Y??? Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed indeed.
If you didn't see this coming from miles away, I'd be quite surprised... :p 'Zard was more likely to be playable in Pokken than Pikachu was - and especially Mega 'Zard X, which is literally the Mega designed most specifically for fanservice.

For my money, I'm glad it's there. If it coaxes a few more people into playing or buying the games, it helps convince TPC and Nintendo that Pokken (and other diversification of the license) is a good bet. It tells them that with Yo-Kai Watch bearing down upon the main games in Japan and cheerfully snacking on
all the sales figures, they can change up the main series a bit and not lose their core audience. And that, to be honest, is kinda what the franchise needs - that ability to adapt and survive.

Pokken needs to succeed. And it can and should use anything available to it to do so. Including dopey blue fanwank-dragons.

nah, machamp is not as deserving as the johto starters

No. Don't get me wrong, the johto starters do deserve megas at some point, but Machamp definitely needs one more, him and Golem. They are part of the Gen1 trading quad, along with Alakazam and Gengar. And since those two got megas and pushed Machamp and Golem away, the two brawlers need something to put them back on the same level as their compatriots. In this game though, no, it would be pretty silly if Mega Machamp was just a recolour as we've seen so far. If you're going to design stupidly, at least go the full nine yards and give the thing more limbs than it will ever use.

Either way, I'm hoping for more unusual choices for this game, like Weavile. I haven't seen any spin-off franchise feature it since Brawl, and it is a very awesome pokemon. Charizard was expected, and a necessary evil, we're sick of it but I know some people would riot if Charizard Y was featured instead. Besides, this game is a brawler, a place where the blue one of the duo excels.

Who's next though? I noticed a bit of a pattern where they try to focus on a pokemon from each type, Lucario and Machamp being an exception of course. If that pattern holds, we can expect to see a Grass Type joining the fray soon enough, and I certainly hope its going to be Sceptile.

No. Don't get me wrong, the johto starters do deserve megas at some point, but Machamp definitely needs one more, him and Golem. They are part of the Gen1 trading quad, along with Alakazam and Gengar. And since those two got megas and pushed Machamp and Golem away, the two brawlers need something to put them back on the same level as their compatriots. In this game though, no, it would be pretty silly if Mega Machamp was just a recolour as we've seen so far. If you're going to design stupidly, at least go the full nine yards and give the thing more limbs than it will ever use.

Either way, I'm hoping for more unusual choices for this game, like Weavile. I haven't seen any spin-off franchise feature it since Brawl, and it is a very awesome pokemon. Charizard was expected, and a necessary evil, we're sick of it but I know some people would riot if Charizard Y was featured instead. Besides, this game is a brawler, a place where the blue one of the duo excels.

Who's next though? I noticed a bit of a pattern where they try to focus on a pokemon from each type, Lucario and Machamp being an exception of course. If that pattern holds, we can expect to see a Grass Type joining the fray soon enough, and I certainly hope its going to be Sceptile.
oh i know machamp and golem are deserving, but i don't think any new megas will be introduced out side of the main games, i also think gamefreak should keep their priorities strait, i mean would you rather implement a rip-your-leg-off mega feraligatr or a rocks fall off and hover around him, becomes dragon type, golem

I never said they should introduce megas here, I was going a little off topic, I'll admit. But I still stand by my point.

rocks fall off and hover around him, becomes dragon type, golem
Honestly, that might be the best idea I've heard for a mega golem yet.

Edit: Keeping on topic though. I thought about what people are saying about wanting this on the WiiU, and honestly, I would prefer it if a western release came out to arcades. I know the Western Arcade culture is weaker than the Japanese one, but thats mainly because the West doesn't get anything new for arcades that often. A game like this could be whats needed to push a little bit more life into the arcade genre.

Last edited:
I never said they should introduce megas here, I was going a little off topic, I'll admit. But I still stand by my point.

Edit: Keeping on topic though. I thought about what people are saying about wanting this on the WiiU, and honestly, I would prefer it if a western release came out to arcades. I know the Western Arcade culture is weaker than the Japanese one, but thats mainly because the West doesn't get anything new for arcades that often. A game like this could be whats needed to push a little bit more life into the arcade genre.
id like that, but i would also love a port for wii u and 3ds

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord

Whilst a translated arcade release would be great (and not exactly completely unlikely), it's a novelty outside of Japan, not the core of the market. Even Street Fighter and Tekken have arcade machines in English as a token gesture. They couldn't possibly afford to have many more because they'd never be able to sell them.

The game is definitely coming to Wii U one way or another. Quite possibly also (New) 3DS. The arcade release is really about bedding it in properly in the competitive fighting game community in Japan, and thus giving it that credibility worldwide later on.

i ♥ charizard and its mega i like x more than y i mean a black charizard with fire/dragon typing i mean the only con is thats its weak to ground but he has lots of pros for me so... ..im glad he made it in to a awesome game (i think its awesome!)