• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon On The Way To 3DS

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
630x-6.jpg
Nintendo and the Pokémon Company have today revealed a brand new entry in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series of games.

The latest game will go by the title of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon and is due out in Japan this Autumn, with a US release to follow in Winter. Those of us in Europe will be having a bit of a wait to get our hands on the game though as the game won't be released here until Spring 2016.

This game will be the fifth entry in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series to be released outside of Japan overall.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Oh Zarq on a stick, not another one. I thought after how terrible Gates to Infinity allegedly was they'd finally let this old dog finally die like it should have ages ago.

But even without my personal disdain for PMD as a series, the name. "Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon" indeed. Not too long before we'll get Pokémon Super Mega Ultra Alpha Omega Hyper Turbo Power Ninja Neo Hyper Multi Meta Extra Uber Prefix Bigger Longer and Uncut Mystery Dungeon.

Just take the thing, they'll be at this for a while. >>

I do wonder when they're going to stop their ridiculous obsession with unnecessary spinoff titles and give us a game I could actually care about.

Oh Zarq on a stick, not another one. I thought after how terrible Gates to Infinity allegedly was they'd finally let this old dog finally die like it should have ages ago.

But even without my personal disdain for PMD as a series, the name. "Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon" indeed. Not too long before we'll get Pokémon Super Mega Ultra Alpha Omega Hyper Turbo Power Ninja Neo Hyper Multi Meta Extra Uber Prefix Bigger Longer and Uncut Mystery Dungeon.

I do wonder when they're going to stop their ridiculous obsession with unnecessary spinoff titles and give us a game I could actually care about.
The spinoffs give fans something to do between main game releases. Also this old dog ain't dying anytime soon, the PMD series is arguably the most loved next to the main series.

By 'a game you actually care about' I assume you mean another main series installment. It's probably true that not doing any spinoffs at all would get the main games to be made much faster. That's all well and good, but if they came out too fast some people would think they're rushed. I've heard many complain how short Black and White's timeframe was, divide that in half and who knows what they'd do.

I really don't understand the logic with the 'super' in the name, this isn't a SNES title.

Yeah, out of all the spin-offs. Mystery Dungeon is without a doubt on top, followed shortly by the Pokemon Rumble series. As for why they went for "Super" instead of some other sub-title like they have always done. It's often a sign of significant overhaul, a change to the usual formula we've had over the previous games. Hopefully the beautiful story lines don't get touched, though I'm curious to see what else could get changed around.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
By 'a game you actually care about' I assume you mean another main series installment. It's probably true that not doing any spinoffs at all would get the main games to be made much faster. That's all well and good, but if they came out too fast some people would think they're rushed. I've heard many complain how short Black and White's timeframe was, divide that in half and who knows what they'd do..

It actually wouldn't speed up the main series games at all due to GameFreak not developing spin-offs. They're almost always handed to a different company, as mystery dungeon is. :)

It actually wouldn't speed up the main series games at all due to GameFreak not developing spin-offs. They're almost always handed to a different company, as mystery dungeon is. :)
Exactly, Spike Chunsoft (or just Chunsoft) is the team behind Mystery Dungeon. Nintendo has directory rights, but they generally let Chunsoft do what they will with the development.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
^_____________________________^

Such joy! So long I have waited for news such as this~

I'm sorry, but this news doesn't excite me one bit. I guess I'm not a big fan of Spin-off games (though if they done a Mario kart-like Pokemon game I'd be over the moon). I've haven't really played much of the Mystery Dungeon games, except for Blue Rescue Team, which was ok.

Idk. I just wish they would announce another Main-series game, or some more major news on Pokken (the only spin-off Pokemon game that has got me hyped thus far) and less spin-off stuff. Seriously, I'm sick do death of hearing about Pokemon Shuffle and Pokemon Rumble, and now we have this :/

I do agree, even though I did find the original Mystery Dungeons fun, but I think that was due to the bigger variety of Pokémon. Gates to Infinity only had Pikachu (of course), the Unova starters and Axew. What happened to having 16 to 21 Pokémon?

Anyways, back to Super Mystery Dungeon...

Yeah, not too sold on the name.
But hey? Maybe we should't judge a book by it's cover? Maybe it'll be good? Maybe older gamers can enjoy it too? Who knows.

... is it wrong that I'd pay money to play Pokémon Super Mega Ultra Alpha Omega Hyper Turbo Power Ninja Neo Hyper Multi Meta Extra Uber Prefix Bigger Longer and Uncut Mystery Dungeon?

RafuRum

Formerly Raf-A-Rum
Well... in addition to what people here said about the game :) ... spin-off games are really not intended to hold the main games or give people something to do before the main games come out... I think they are made to "expand" the reach of the Pokemon series as a whole.. these games like shuffle, Trozei, Rumble, Pinball, and Mystery Dungeon all have different mechanics with them along with our beloved characters.. this would then allow Pokemon to cater to people who prefer different kinds of games *this extends their target market too to sell the Pokemon name further*.. But then in the end we are all here for Pokemon in general :D

** But then again... the name "Super" doesn't fit Mystery Dungeon at all... :(

I havent played MD for years! Blue Rescue Team or something was the one I had I believe...before some kid stole it from me ^^;

but as to you Dr. Crane as well as others (since when it comes to the next remakes, I've heard BW the most) if they decide to keep the same order, either Diamond Pearl remake or another Red Green/Blue remake (since it is the only generation not on ds..but could be skipped since it already has a remake and SS/HG cover the Kanto region as well).
Truth me though, I'm seriously looking forward to a BW remake..but I'm sure by the time they get to it, the new nintendo system will be virtual reality or holograms (which btw doubt both but it's nice to dream) in which case I am all up for waiting for BW remakes for haha! But remakes seem to come out with a new system so far.. (FR/LG on GBA, SS/HG on DS, and ORAS on 3DS)

I havent played MD for years! Blue Rescue Team or something was the one I had I believe...before some kid stole it from me ^^;

but as to you Dr. Crane as well as others (since when it comes to the next remakes, I've heard BW the most) if they decide to keep the same order, either Diamond Pearl remake or another Red Green/Blue remake (since it is the only generation not on ds..but could be skipped since it already has a remake and SS/HG cover the Kanto region as well).
Truth me though, I'm seriously looking forward to a BW remake..but I'm sure by the time they get to it, the new nintendo system will be virtual reality or holograms (which btw doubt both but it's nice to dream) in which case I am all up for waiting for BW remakes for haha! But remakes seem to come out with a new system so far.. (FR/LG on GBA, SS/HG on DS, and ORAS on 3DS)
Heh, heh. Totally agree with you on that. :)