• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon GO Out Now In Australia and New Zealand

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Nearly ten months after its initial announcement, Niantic's new Pokémon GO game is now available to download on both iOS and Android in Australia and New Zealand. The game is free, but contains in-app purchases in the form of "Pokécoins". These range from $1.49 AUD for 100, up to $159.99 for 14,500, which is pretty typical for free-to-play mobile games.

There's no word right now on when the game will hit the US, Europe, and Japan, but soft-launches in Australia are quite common for mobile games, as it allows them to safely stress-test their servers and fix any early bugs before unleashing the game on the rest of the world. Expect the game to hit Western shores soon.

You can download the game from your respective app store if you're in the right region - click here for iOS devices, and here for Android devices.

If anyone is able to get the game, let us know what you think in the comments!

Attachments

• screen322x572.jpeg
    screen322x572.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 317165_POkemon_go.jpg
    317165_POkemon_go.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
so its finally out?
i cant get it on my iphone since it cant update anymore... but i have my ipad :)
Well, if your iPhone is running iOS 8.0 or later, it should work (according to the App Store, anyway!) May be worth trying it? :)

I really wanted to be able to tell you guys heaps about Pokemon Go, but I can't. You're going to need either constant mobile data or Wifi wherever you go to play, and I don't have the money to pay for that, nor is Australia's free Wifi services very extensive (outside of the major cities anyway). But, what I can tell you (as even despite this massive limitation) is the first thing I wanted to do was run outside and find as many Pokemon as I could. At 10pm at night while its pouring rain. There's a Gym at my train station, and down near the lighthouse, and plenty of places to go and explore, so it really encourages getting out of the house, which is awesome. I'd love to be able to tell you more but... *sigh* Either way, if you have the capabilities to get the game to work, I suggest giving it a shot asap.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
The article originally referred to GO being out in Japan as well as New Zealand and Australia. This is actually not quite true; it's not out there yet. The article has been updated to fix this – I'm sorry about the incorrect information :)

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I'm downloading the APK as we speak; won't be able to actually test it out until I'm put of class. Here's hoping it works!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
The servers have been switched off in all the regions the game isn't yet out in, so I'm afraid sideloading the game via an APK no longer works.

Welp, I can't download it at all- my iphone cracked and I'm expected to pay for it- so I have to wait until October (bday money). Keep me updated! :(

I really really like this game, sucks the data out of my phone but hey, it gets me out walking. Any game that does that is a thumbs up from me. :up:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Git it in QooApp ahead of time but haven't been able to do much else besides catch Charmander. Planning to join the Yellow team when I reach level 5 though!

BREAKING NEWS:

A middle-aged man was run over by a speeding truck just now after crossing the street with both eyes focused on his phone.

On the plus side, he managed to find himself a Shiny Diancie.