• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon.com announces HeartGold/SoulSilver - Spring 2010 release confirmed

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
englishlogo.png
Pokemon.com has, to quite some surprise, announced the upcoming Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver games (confirming that ala, FR/LG, the space is definitely gone in the English titles), just under a month before their Japanese release.

While there was no major information supplied (not even anything we already know from the Japanese pre-release hype), the site has confirmed that the games will be released in both America and Europe next Spring - meaning that Platinum's March/May releases will likely be emulated again.

Although Nintendo has not made any mention of the games so far, it should be noted that as far as NoE is concerned, the Game Corner that was revealed to have been removed from Platinum in European copies, will continue to be absent in Pokemon games in the region - which will include HG/SS.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's not a choice of NoE's, it's EU law.

Also, am I the only one that finds it interesting that they've managed to shoehorn the "Red/Blue" theme into the only two games that never had any real Red/Blue relation?

I guess it's almost certain now that Generation V's games will also feature a Red/Blue theme.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the EU sucks dragon spheres, then.

Seriously. I don't eff around with the game corner at ALL and I find this just stupid censorship. >>;

That's wicked stupid. If they didn't remove it from the previous games (Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green FireRed, Pearl, and Diamond), then why did they start now?

Ugh, I agree with Moosechu. The only time they've banned it before was in like freakin' Alaska or somewhere far like that.

But oh well. That's business for you.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
That's wicked stupid. If they didn't remove it from the previous games (Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green FireRed, Pearl, and Diamond), then why did they start now?

Because those games were before the law changed.

Thought something was amist when checking the machines in the Game Corner, each one had couple coins left behind. Didn't think that being normal all of 'em whoever sat there having a hole in their pocket? then when I tried to have a go on the slots etc it was non-responsive. I'm not too fussed about it, previous versions I'd just buy the coins instead of trying to get by chance but it's rather silly nontheless.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Well, I'm still sorry that the Game Corner is gonna be gone. After playing FR recently and managing to turn 50 coins into about 2000, I'm sorry to see it still not included :/

That said, it's nice to have an idea of just -when- the game will be released. I know when I have to save money for now~

Likely be between £30 - 35 on release, SoulSilver for moi though. I remember playing the original on the GBC thinking how'd they fit it all in. Adventure didn't end when you beat the Elite Four and you could travel back to Kanto challenging the gym leaders there or catching some Pokemon from that region so I'm eager to play this remake of my favorite. n_n

Yay! Now we know when it will be released!

On the topic of the game corner... What about the lottery? Or scratchcards? This might make people want to do this in real life, and to be honest those are like gambling too... ::)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I believe the slots are considered entirely different to stuff like lotteries or scratch cards as far as the law goes. I haven't studied the piece of legislation that's caused the issue, but I'd say the reason for putting heavy laws on slot machines and depictions thereof is because of the false representation of an actual 'skill' in play in using them - while lotteries and scratch cards by their very definition are pure and utter luck. They're treated entirely differently in most legislature - for example, scratch cards and lottery tickets in the UK may be sold by any retail outlet that pays Camelot for the privilege, while gambling such as horse racing and slot machines are only available to the public in specially licensed outlets.

Since the new EU law clearly didn't effect them in Platinum, it's unlikely to do so in future games either.

Incidentally, we've had this discussion already - can we please keep this topic on the subject of HeartGold/SoulSilver's English language release, thanks.

Sorry that I strayed. I'm curious as to wherever they'll release console bundles with each version, I vaguely remember few weeks before Platinum was coming out getting a Nintendo newletter with special edition DS Lite or DSi... with Giratina on the front of the lid. Could be a possibly for Lugia and Ho-oh to get the same treatment, suppose with all things just have to wait and see.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
For that, we'll have to wait and see whether or not Japan gets special edition DSLite/i's following the games' release there next month.

I doubt there'll be any general release though, which'd be a pity - but if there was a special DSi Bundle, I'd totally snap that up.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It might be just as we predicted, but I love hearing the news of HG/SS's releases officially. Assuming they indeed do a March release in NA, that's little more than half a year away... Can't wait to play SoulSilver.

It'll be nice to read the English language news once Pokemon.com goes more indepth with its HG/SS coverage. Guess it's still far too early for them to release a subsite, but I'm looking forward to it. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Considering that they didn't do a Yellow remake with FR/LG, there probably won't be one for Crystal. You never know, though... I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Of course there wont be a Crystal remake - why on earth would there be? Everything that was remotely unique about the game is already in HG/SS.

Well, I don't see why not. Haven't you noticed there's a 3rd version for every generation, with the exception of FireRed and LeafGreen? Examples.

For Red and Blue, there was Yellow.

For Gold and Silver, there was Crystal.

For Ruby and Sapphire, there was Emerald.

For Diamond and Pearl, there was Platinum.

Like Linkachu said, I only believe there won't be a 3rd version for HeartGold and SoulSilver if it turns out like FireRed and LeafGreen.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
... That's because FireRed and LeafGreen were the first remakes! There's no sense in remaking second editions, as the remakes already contain all the "fixes" from the first editions, plus way more.

The reasons of there not being a third for FR/LG is because they were remakes. HG/SS are remakes and they almost definitely won't be a remake of Crystal. Ever heard of Electric Yellow? No. Heart Gold and Soul Silver are exactly like Fire Red and Leaf Green, except in Johto.

EDIT: Data beat me to it by one second.

Back on topic, I started saving up in July, so I will have enough money to buy both Heart Gold and Soul Silver (But I won't).

Ugh, I hate when you guys are right....then again, I'm 10 and I have no excuse to be wrong. :D

But I'm still kind of confused....why do they even make 3rd versions? Why don't they just save it for when they do the remakes of the games? I mean, that's actually more money there. Don't understand? I'll tell ya.

If they had waited to do 3rd versions with the remakes, they would have gotten more money because 4th/5th generation games cost more. When Yellow released it was about like, what, $25? DS games cost more. A newly released Pokemon game for the DS costs about $35. And plus, people would have never expected releasing yet another version of the already old games....thus making it more popular hence selling more copies. Get what I'm saying? But it's too late now, they already did the 3rd versions...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
HeartGold and SoulSilver have been said to follow Crystal's story more than they do the original Gold/Silver versions anyway, thus making a Crystal remake even more pointless than the Sega 32X. Everything you've said here has now officially been negated by the Stardust Dragon.

Just to stay on-topic, I'm definitely getting an import copy of this game. What can I say, I'm impatient like that.

Ugh, nobody's understanding what I'm saying.

On-Topic comment: I'm definitely going to go with SoulSilver. Lugia pwns Ho-Oh anyday, and my starter is SO gonna be Cyndaquil. You gotta love something that has fire coming out of it's back :p

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
At least I'm not the only person who couldn't make a shred of sense out of that...

As another on-topic thing...I really don't know which version I'm going to get yet. I'm tempted to go SoulSilver for Groudon, but at the same time I want the remake to the version which I owned before as a kid, which was Gold. Plus, Ho-Oh's the Mega Ultra Rainbow Turkey of Death, and Lugia's...just Lugia.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
And Lugia > Ho-Oh by any effing sense of the word. >>;

Besides, apparently it's been confirmed you can get both Ho-Oh and Lugia in both games, much like you could in Gold and Silver.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
But I'm still kind of confused....why do they even make 3rd versions? Why don't they just save it for when they do the remakes of the games? I mean, that's actually more money there. Don't understand? I'll tell ya.

I understand what you're saying quite perfectly well. But what you're saying doesn't make any sense because you're failing to get that 10 years ago, no one would have expected that the games would still be selling well now. You make as much money as you can at the time to ensure that your company will still exist in 10 years!

Also, any discussion of the price of games is meaningless due to inflation. When I first started buying games, we thought £9.99 (about US$15 in today's money) was expensive - and as a kid, it would take me several weeks or months to save up enough pocket money for a new game. Your argument involving $25 a decade ago compared to $35 now is irrelevant - if anything, games have got cheaper in real money terms.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
You also don't seem to be understanding that FR/LG were part of the third Generation, not one of their own - just as HG/SS are part of the 4th Generation.

It wouldn't make sense for them to receive a third version because - for all intents and purposes - they fulfil the exact same purpose as, for example, Yellow to Red and Green's Blue (although, obviously in a very different way). They're not a new pair of instalments ala Ruby/Sapphire or Diamond/Pearl - they're just extensions to the current Generation.

Aside from the fact that there's really no-where to go with a third game to remakes that massively enhance their original games anyway as a base definition, there's simply just no call for a third attachment to a 'side-game' (although the remakes aren't really considered as such properly 'cos GameFreak make them) thats main purpose is to stop the gap for a bit between Generations.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
While that's all true, I always saw it another way as well. FR/LG were tribute remakes, and HG/SS are just jumping on the bandwagon (just as R/S are surely to do next Gen). Yellow, which to be fair wouldn't have been exactly the same as FR/LG (it was actually pretty unique, much moreso than Crystal), wasn't remade because FR/LG had already fulfilled the tribute spot.

There really wasn't anything unique about Crystal beyond the female addition and the Suicune stuff, so yeah... Really isn't any point at all to remake Crystal. I just never say never with this franchise, regardless of how unlikely something might be, because the Pokemon Company has done stranger things xP

Ok, ok. I get what you guys are saying. baratron is the one that made it the most clear. You guys are saying that (Linkachu) that "Crystal wasn't that unique beyond the Suicune and female addition so there isn't really a point to remake Crystal", (Database/Doctor Oak) "The 3rd versions already had the fixes in it", and (baratron) "Nobody would have expected that the company would be doing well, thus not thinking about later on and money is totally different compared from before".

If there's anything missing, tell me so I can get a full understanding. And I'm sorry for making you guys telling me the same things over and over again...we're all curious when we're young and you know we don't listen well. ;)

On-Topic: I really don't remember what legendaries were in each version...and was there any exclusive Pokemon for each version? Ugh, this is gonna be an all-nighter. :p But still, Lugia and Ho-Oh are the major legends in HG/SS so, unless the exclusives are ones I REALLY want, I'm still sticking with SS.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
If I may interrupt.

Referring to the rules, enforcement thread:

5. This is important: AGE IS NO EXCUSE FOR ANYTHING. Do not even THINK about trying to weasel out of breaking the rules by saying 'I'm only a child!' or 'I am just 12!' or 'I AM NOT A DOCTOR! I AM ONLY FIVE YEARS OLD!'. We were children too and we had the common sense to read the rules and abide by them. If you don't, that is therefore your own problem.

While no rule breaking per se occurred here, you still seem to be a bit too fond of using your age as an excuse. Unfortunately, this isn't going to work here. We have members around here who are only a year or two older than you are and they act extremely maturely and intelligently for their age - and they don't see a reason to use their age as an excuse for anything. Neither should you. Just food for thought.

Judging by the Poll that was set up and this thread it seems that Soul Silver is the one which is going to be bought by most people. A reason for me to buy Heart Gold. Some people might bee setting up trade threads asking for Heart Gold exclusive pokemon.

Also, my friend who likes Pokemon games buys the opposite to me. When I bought Diamond he bought Pearl, so he's getting Soul Silver.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
On-Topic: I really don't remember what legendaries were in each version...and was there any exclusive Pokemon for each version? Ugh, this is gonna be an all-nighter. :p But still, Lugia and Ho-Oh are the major legends in HG/SS so, unless the exclusives are ones I REALLY want, I'm still sticking with SS.

The only version-exclusives I'm 100% certain about are Kyogre and Groudon. Groudon appears in SoulSilver only, whilst Kyogre is exclusive to HeartGold. Getting both of them will unlock a Rayquaza event in-game though, so make sure you have a friend with (in your case) HeartGold if you want to get hold of Rayquaza.

Otherwise, I'd imagine the version-exclusives will be almost identical to the ones in the original Gold/Silver versions, with possibly a few changes.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I have my doubts that both Lugia and Ho-oh will be available in one game. It may have been the case for G/S - but that's the only time you could legitimately get both the version mascots in the same game without trading (you couldn't even do it in R/G/B, before the cover-art legendaries ever appeared). With so much else being changed - I've gotta say, I'll be massively surprised if they don't change that and make them exclusive to their versions.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If that is the case, I'll definitely be getting HeartGold for Ho-Oh, since I already have the XD Lugia.

It's a hard decision, I for one miss my childhood of Pokemon Gold, but I always want to try something new, and I'm much more fond of the name Soul Silver, than Heart Gold. What bugs me though is , I know that they're not making a Crystal remake, but if they did what would it be called? Wisdom Crystal?