• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon 20th Anniversary Plans Revealed!

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Pokemon 20th anniversary logo.jpg

Pokémon celebrates its 20th anniversary this year and so the official Pokémon website has created a micro-site to help celebrate this big event. On the site a number of announcements have been made, so here's a handy round-up!

Pokemon red blue and yellow 2DS.png
First up it has been revealed that special red, blue, and yellow 2DS consoles will be released in the UK. The consoles will come bundled with either a copy of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue or Pokémon Yellow.

Pokemon new 3DS bundle.jpg
Meanwhile for the US a special New 3DS bundle has been announced that comes bundled with face plates designed around the original Red and Blue artwork. The set will also include a copy of both Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue. Both the 2DS and the New 3DS bundle will be released in February alone with the eShop release of the original games.

pokemon legendary giveaway.jpg
Away from consoles a special series of distributions have been announced for owners of Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. From February onwards a mythical Pokémon will be given away every month until the end of December. The Pokémon are as follows and will be level 100 and given away from the 1st of every month until the 24th of the month:

• February - Mew
  • March - Celebi
  • April - Jirachi
  • May - Darkrai
  • June - Manapy
  • July - Shaymin
  • August - Arceus
  • September - Victini
  • October - Keldeo
  • November - Genesect
  • December - Meloetta

Alongside these announcements it has been revealed that the next season of the Pokémon anime in the US will be called Pokémon XY & Z. A great deal of merchandise for the anniversary has also been revealed. You can find more on the site right here.

@Stormfang
I actually like the 2DS better (for the price and since I don't use the 3D), but I've had the 2D for not even a quarter of the time and the screen is already fucked in a few places and the 3DS flips over and sorta protects it's self XD! Just, you know, food for thought!

HOO-FREAKING-RAH~! We'll finally be able to get our hands on the Legendaries we missed out on! I'm ever so pumped for this release! I've always wanted a Darkrai and a Keldeo! :D

Better get my 3DS fixed too, or get my hands on a brand new one. No use in getting these if my top screen is destroyed. :p

Now I am happy. I love fetching all the Legendary events that happen, and now a release of Red and Blue for me to play while I'm an adult? I never got a chance when I was little, so yes please!

Congratulations pokemon! 20th anniversary! Great job! Excited to own new pokemon! I am also excited to watch pokemon XY and Z! Can't wait! I have always wanted those pokemon and now.... POOF! I can get em' each month! But there's one problem :@ I don't know how to get em'... I have an idea though! Can't wait for Feb! Shame I am at school then... My first day for middle school sigh Hope I can be able to play my 3DS... :):D I kinda feel a bit sorry for you Voltagonist because at my Dad's house I can even play my 3DS all day! If I can I could play it in bed and play it all night... :D

Congratulations pokemon! 20th anniversary! Great job! Excited to own new pokemon! I am also excited to watch pokemon XY and Z! Can't wait! I have always wanted those pokemon and now.... POOF! I can get em' each month! But there's one problem :@ I don't know how to get em'... I have an idea though! Can't wait for Feb! Shame I am at school then... My first day for middle school sigh Hope I can be able to play my 3DS... :):D I kinda feel a bit sorry for you Voltagonist because at my Dad's house I can even play my 3DS all day! If I can I could play it in bed and play it all night... :D
Me too. I can't wait to see XY and Z in English! >_<>_<

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
YES! Jirachi at last! :'D And Mew! And... is that... ALL OF THEM!? With all the event Legendaries, Gen VI has officially become all inclusive! ♥ *Squee!* Best of all, I got my younger cousin into Pokemon and his birthday is in February. I can get him a 3DS with Red & Blue pre-installed which will give him an appreciation of the classics as well as the new games! I knew it! 2016 will be a good year! ^_^

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Kinda upset I forgot to bring my 2DS with my to Austin. Now I can't get all these nice Pokemon ;w; (not to mention my Bank subscription passed about a month ago and I forgot to renew it. RIP all my Pokemon </3)

Ahh! Guys I don't think you know how excited I am for June now. It's so funny! My first Mythical Pokemon was Manaphy from the Ranger games; one I have transferred all the way to Alpha Sapphire. But my b-day is in June and this will be so cool!

NocturnalNetwork

Formerly LatiasMusic
Away from consoles a special series of distributions have been announced for owners of Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.From February onwards a mythical Pokémon will be given away every month until the end of December. The Pokémon are as follows and will be level 100 and given away from the 1st of every month until the 24th of the month:

• February - Mew
  • March - Celebi
  • April - Jirachi
  • May - Darkrai
  • June - Manapy
  • July - Shaymin
  • August - Arceus
  • September - Victini
  • October - Keldeo
  • November - Genesect
  • December - Meloetta
I just hope they make it available here. Otherwise I'll go kill myself.

Nothing for Europe? Well we were planning a trip to UK with family anyway this year! That announcement concerning mystery gifts was also quite something, definetly looking up for those. :)

Holy crap, 20 years of Pokemon, man, I can't believe its been that long, and just when I thought I got all the nostalgia out of me last night... But on the other hand, FREE MEW! I've been looking for one of these buggers for months, but now I can just go to Game Stop and pick one up, along with a bunch of other Legendary Pokemon I missed.

Happy 20th Pokemon!

Figures... The only three mythical pokemon I'm missing out on are at the end of the year. XD Oh... Pokedex numbers... Curse you. Making me wait and nonsense.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm Brazilian ^^ If it's not a physical distribution it's very likely I'll be able to get it (since I managed to get the Zoroark from the last), still, I might not be able to get it.

It seems that the US is doing split distributions between physical codes and the Nintendo Network. 4 of the 11 legendaries are being handed out as codes at GameStop, while the rest are via WiFi.

Hopefully the region that Brazil's lumped into will do the same, if not 100% online! What I'd suggest is to keep checking back with the Mythical Pokemon page on the 20th Anniversary website to see what gets announced for you. I hope you can get some/all of them. :)

Last edited: