• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Poké Finder, Version Differences, and the Zygarde Cube

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
banner-1.jpg

Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, like the many paired games that precede them, have various version differences between them. However, Sun and Moon have some of the most pronounced differences between any Pokémon games.

p13_01.jpg
p13_02.jpg

Perhaps the most pronounced difference is that both Pokémon Sun and Moon run on a "real time clock" system, like previous Pokémon games. However, while Pokémon Sun's clock matches the real time of day, Pokémon Moon's clock runs 12 hours fast – when it's 7 PM (19:00) for you, Pokémon Moon's world will be at 7 AM (07:00).

This isn't just a visual effect: some Pokémon appear on the same route in both games, but only appear in daytime, whereas some only appear at night. Another difference between Pokémon Sun and Moon is the Totem Pokémon you will meet: while in Pokémon Sun you'll meet Gumshoos in Verdant Cavern, in Pokémon Moon you'll meet Raticate there instead.

finder_160719_RGB_72dpi.png
The Rotom Dex in Sun and Moon holds an interesting new feature: Poké Finder. Vaguely like the Pokémon Snap game for Nintendo 64, this mode lets you take photographs of Pokémon in the wild at Photo Spots dotted around Alola.

p10_01.jpg
p10_02_en.jpg

p10_04.jpg
p10_03_en.jpg

As you take pictures, they'll be evaluated – and snapping good pictures will earn you more features, like the ability to zoom in.

p08_01_en.jpg
p08_03_en.jpg
p08_04_en.jpg

While exploring Alola, you'll run into Dexio and Sina – two characters we met in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. During the course of the game, they'll give you the Zygarde Cube, and send you off to collect Zygarde Cells and Zygarde Cores around the Alola region by sucking them into the Zygarde Cube. They say that doing so can lead you down the path to finding Zygarde...

View attachment 365666

Last edited by a moderator:
I was confused about the whole time difference at first, but this makes a lot more sense now. Plus, the way Pokémon Moon works sounds absolutely perfect since I don't have a lot of time to play the game during the day.

Also, I know that they don't have chibi sprites like they did in X & Y, but do Sina & Dexio look older than they did before?

I was confused about the whole time difference at first, but this makes a lot more sense now. Plus, the way Pokémon Moon works sounds absolutely perfect since I don't have a lot of time to play the game during the day.

Also, I know that they don't have chibi sprites like they did in X & Y, but do Sina & Dexio look older than they did before?
yeah, a little bit.

The time difference between the two is pretty novel. I like that they're straight up running with these games being in different worlds after hinting at it in ORAS.

Definitely getting Moon now, though. Gotta go for the one that takes place at night.

A new feature that's vaguely like Pokemon Snap? Sign me up!

Also, I'm going to feel very bad about collecting Zygarde cores and cells O.o I've grown too attached to Squishy (from the anime) to ever do that without regret. They're like his... eyes, in a sense. I'd almost be blinding the poor thing O.o

Ah, well. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Get in that cube, Squishy. XD

A new feature that's vaguely like Pokemon Snap? Sign me up!

Also, I'm going to feel very bad about collecting Zygarde cores and cells O.o I've grown too attached to Squishy (from the anime) to ever do that without regret. They're like his... eyes, in a sense. I'd almost be blinding the poor thing O.o

Ah, well. Gotta do what you gotta do.

---Get in that cube, Squishy. ---XD

It's ok little buddy. Just get in the GODDAMN CUBE AND THINK ABOUT YOUR MISERABLE EXISTENCE WHILE I WAIT TO CAPTURE YOUR BRETHEN AND THEN ILL TURN YOU INTO A DOG, A SNAKE, AND LASTLY A GIANT HOOMAN!!!

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Looks like I'll be living in darkness most of the time. Good thing I like the darkness only illuminated by the moon's pale light. Or maybe I'll just be a prick and change my 3DS's time by 12 hours to keep my circadian rhythm in balance. So is the Gumshoos totem really exclusive to Sun and Raticate to Moon or will the Totem Pokemon vary based on time of day where no matter what game you play it'll be Gumshoos during the day and Raticate at night?

I think I'm going to have fun with Pokemon Snap! I'm really glad they're adding features like this just to make the games feel more real. Anyone would want to take pictures of their Pokemon so this just makes the games more immersive.

Well I guess we know how we're summoning Zygarde now. Gotta Collect 'em All! I'm wondering if Dexio and Sina will give any clues as to when S&M happen in the timeline in relation to XY.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My situation is very similar, most of my free time is evening/night, so Moon will perfectly for me.

The lovely Pokemon Snap aspect is something I really look forward to having fun with!