• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Video Game Championships

As posted on Pokèmon.com, the Pokémon Video Game Championships are coming really soon.

This will be done using Pokémon Platinum. For the US, you have to qualify for the event at the US National Pokémon Video Game Championships. That event, will take place in St. Louis, Missouri June 27th and 28th.

From there, you have a chance of getting to the world stage in San Diego, California and take part in the Pokémon Video Game World Championships. This event takes place on August 14th and 15th.

If you do make it to the World stage, expect to meet some competition from European players, who are also taking part.

Rules haven't been released, but it will be a Level 50, 2 on 2 double battle.

More info will be posted when it's released. Otherwise for all those who want to take part, good luck and start preparing your team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good for people wanting to enter ^^
They should have held the qualifying rounds at select places. >=O

Europe too eh? Nice. I expect we'll be seeing more "Help my team" topics in preparation for the event.

I wont be entering, but I wish all who decide to enter good luck.

Thanks for the news update Jetters ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I tried, but my news digging skills have hit a dead-end this time. The most I can find is info about this tournament linked to Pokemon.com's article. Can't seem to locate a sister article for Europe explaining details more clearly on their end.

Possibly due to the May release of Platinum, they're holding off properly announcing this tournament until it's more relevant. Assuming Europe uses Platinum for it as well - which I'd imagine they would be - it'd make sense. Still... if someone tracks down the info, do share it.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
There wont be any European tournament. There never has been for as long as these have been running and I doubt there ever will be. The only reason they're called the 'World' championships is 'cos they include Japan.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
There wont be any European tournament. There never has been for as long as these have been running and I doubt there ever will be. The only reason they're called the 'World' championships is 'cos they include Japan.

The article itself begs to differ (as it specifically mentioned "throughout the United States and Europe"). That's why a Europe-related portion was brought up at all. Whether it's a lie or not, bring it up with them XD

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I guess my brain skipped it, looking for it right at the end as a "oh yeah, btw, Europe too. Whoever that is" dealio.

Still, if there IS a European leg - don't be expecting it to be any good. The UK will probably be lucky to have a single event for it. Hell, the entire continent will be lucky if they ever leave Germany.

well a tournament would be cool if it weren't for all the action replay users who are gonna show up with max stats and TOTALLY non-legit moves

if there was a way nintendo could tell who used action replay i'd take part

but im not driving from texas to missouri to be pawned by a cheater

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
They'd ban any Pokemon with moves they can't learn. Any example I've seen of these tournaments has seen their teams being checked first. Max stats is a bit of a bitch, and pretty undetectable - however, in most cases cheaters are n00bs and can be easily taken down by anyone who actually knows what they're doing.

Yeah, it'd be like "Okay kids, time to burn those filthy little Action Replays now! If we catch anyone using non-legit Pokemon, even if you make it to the freakin' last battle, you'll be thrown out!'

I personally would like to go, but I rather doubt if my parents would take me to St. Louis...[size=10pt]and if possible, California[/size]

BUT, it would be rather nice to go, and I'm not really able to do much competitive battling at all, so it might be a good experience.

yes but still

there are definitely gonna be bigger platinum fanatics than me,(i spend more of my time on mystery dungeon, fullmetal alchemist, and dinosaur king than pearl) and texas to missouri, not gonna happen

if i play constantly i might be able to get high in the tournament, but me...

i'd like to go but its pointless

i would never win

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
One would argue that the mere taking part should be enough. I know I wouldn't mind the opportunity, regardless of the fact that as soon as I clear the 10 year olds with their teams of Legendaries I'd run into a brick wall of people that have EV'd and even IV'd their Pokemon to buggery.

True, while it would be fun to try, the Poke-Perfectionists who EV and IV train are going to kinda kick out the "just have fun" kinda competition I was looking for. Throw in the AR stat punks, there doesn't seem to be any point in going.

true dat marky

and besides, eventually there MIGHT be a mystery dungeon explorers of the sky tournament if the platinum one goes well and if so
im there!