• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Obtaining Event Pokémon In Pokémon X & Y - A Quick Guide

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
With the release of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y now fast approaching, we thought we should put together a quick guide on how to obtain event Pokémon given for the games, such as the special Torchic being given from the games launch.
Event Torchic.jpg
Obtaining event Pokémon will work largely the same as it does in previous Pokémon games. Most Pokémon will be obtained through selecting the Mystery Gift option and then choosing to download a Pokémon through "Get via Internet" or "Get via Local Wireless", the former being the option for events such as Torchic's and the latter being the option for in-store events such as what GAME have been doing with the shiny Sinnoh legendaries in recent months.

However, with the release of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y a new option has also been added to our tried and tested Mystery Gift. We'll now be able to input serial codes into the games to unlock special items and Pokémon. It's very much alike the idea the Pokémon Global Link used for Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2. With the reveal of this new option, the first event to make use of it has also been announced. For people who buy Pokémon X or Pokémon Y with supermarket Tesco they'll be given a code which allows them to obtain 12 Quick Balls.

The Mystery Gift option will be on the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y menu screen right from the beginning, but do keep in mind that you won't be able to download any Pokémon through it until after you've obtained your Pokédex in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's cool, they aren't changing much, just adding in the enter-the-code thing. I'm all for this, as long as they don't put anything too rare and cool for the code thing, then make it hard to obtain. I won't freak over missing 12 Quick Balls, but if a Shiny Pokemon holding a Mega Stone not found in normal play was available only if you enter a code you have to get at a specific event at a specific time, I will be pissed.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I won't freak over missing 12 Quick Balls, but if a Shiny Pokemon holding a Mega Stone not found in normal play was available only if you enter a code you have to get at a specific event at a specific time, I will be pissed.

To be honest the chances of them giving anything really rare this way are slim, they never did with the Global Link after all and it's the same idea. The chances are each event will just use one code too, so once someone has the Quick Ball code for example we'll all be able to use it. ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I didn't even know they'd done that before in Gen V.

All that really matters is that we get some word, ideally sooner rather than later, about what the DLC plans for the series are. At least just give us a "yes, we'll talk later" or a "no, that isn't happening this Generation" and leave it at that.

My personal theory is that instead of the usual 'third' game stuff, they'll be selling it as a DLC expansion to X/Y in a similar manner to the New Super Luigi Bros expansion (or, more originally, the Episodes From Liberty City/Undead Nightmare expansions for GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption) - where buying the expansion content separately as a physical product is also an option. Given the shakeup for B/W2, I can see them deciding to do something different again instead of just following the same 'third version' path, since they're clearly interested in changing it up.

You'd also have to consider that they'd probably find it easier to patch in 'unreleased' Pokemon than to leave them to be discovered years ahead of time in the code... but who knows.

At which establishments will we be able to obtain these codes?
My bet is that Game Stop will want their grubby finger in that pie, but aside from that, will places like Wal-Mart or small game stores be able to sell such things?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
At which establishments will we be able to obtain these codes?
My bet is that Game Stop will want their grubby finger in that pie, but aside from that, will places like Wal-Mart or small game stores be able to sell such things?
Probably the usual sources that normally get the events, plus the Global Link will likely distribute codes too. Given that Tesco are offering codes here, it's safe to assume that various other places will distribute codes even if they couldn't before distribute events.

One thing I wish GameFreak would do is if you didn't have to go to GameStops or use a Mystery Gift just to get a Pokemon not available during normal gameplay. Why can't the Pokemon just be automatically implemented on our save files? That way I could just get on with the game instead of having to wait 15 minutes for a rare Pokemon. I just don't get it.