• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

No Surprises Here: HG/SS Second Best Selling Games in Japan

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
As if we needed further proof that Pokémon is still a force of nature all over the world, the sales charts just came out in Japan for 2009. Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver is the second best-selling game in Japan this year, just behind Dragon Quest IX.

To put that in numbers, HG/SS was released in September and has shifted 3,301,873 copies over four months, flattening the likes of New Super Mario Bros Wii, Monster Hunter Tri, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, etcetera - all big franchises in Japan and beyond. Pokémon Platinum was 26th in the list, having shifted just over 300,000 copies this year, and two million in its lifetime.

When the games come out in Europe and America in 2010, there is no doubt that we shall see similar results there as well.

Last edited:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Whooooooo... That's a nice number. o-o

I hadn't been following the stats very closely since they'd been released, but +3 million in four months is pretty damn nifty. Just goes to show you how many rabid G/S fans still exist in Japan... Can't wait to see the numbers come March next year XD

That is insane! I can't believe that in Japan alone, HG/SS have sold more copies than Platinum since it came out. I guess alot of people really wanted a remake of G/S. I can't wait to get them.

Well, Gold and Silver were excellent sequels to the original RB, at least in my opinion. I think a remake for a modern console would have done well, just for nostalgia's sake.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Chewy038: In future, please type in full English in your posts - it's "mine", not "myn", as it says in the rules. Thank you :)