• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Year, New Websites.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
pokecharms2010.png
Hello all, I know this is a bit early, but with the hecticness of the next couple of days, I may as well put this up now in advance. So, Happy New Year, to all our Pokecharms members and visitors. :)

This past year has been a bit of a tough one - the Trainer Card Maker continued to be a major source of technical issues, and we had to seek pastures new once again in order to handle the demand of it. Unfortunately, in doing so, we also kind of over-reached our budget and the site's hit financial difficulties towards the latter end of the year. In all, it's had a pretty huge knock-on effect on our visitors, which has had a domino effect on the money made by ads.

However, one thing our month of downtime proved was that we have a pretty large network of dedicated fans and members that followed us right back once word spread around of our return. Right now, we're pretty much back to where we were hitswise before the downtime - and that's between 4,000 and 6,000 unique visitors every single day.

Now, I know we could be a lot better - in the past year, we've really not had a lot available for visitors to experience on the site other than the forums and the TCM because of delays in working on the new Pokedex and Staff Showcase sections. That's unquestionably all on me, and I do have to apologise for it - but we're getting there, and with any luck, we'll have that 'relaunch' I discussed a few weeks ago coming up very soon in the New Year (once I've gotten all my Uni work out of the way >>).

This being not only a new year, but also a new decade, it's also pretty fitting to look back all the way to Pokecharms' beginnings in 2001 - when the concept of ever getting as many as 4,000 people looking at the site full stop was pie in the sky. Quite a lot has changed for the website since then, and one of those crucial things has been our great community. Over the past 6-7 years since Pokecharms returned in 2003, I've made so many friends because of this website, and I know plenty of our other members have made many more themselves. I even found something more with Prof Cinders/Rachel, and couldn't be more grateful to the opportunity this site has presented because of it.

So, what does the next year bring for Pokecharms? Well, I can only comment so much on that now, afterall, I'm no longer officially in charge. ;) Yes, Katie/Linkachu, I'm sure, will have plenty of ideas for working with the community in the next year - however, on my side of things, I can confirm that there will be a large TCM update bundled in with a new design for the site, the long awaited new Pokedex and the return of the Staff Showcase section - all better than ever before. Ideally, this will all launch within a month or so - and much of it is all ready to go - and when it does, I guarantee you'll all be very happy with the results. All of this has taken a lot longer than anticipated to get ready - but that's because I've been very specific in taking my time to make sure it's all perfect. I've even almost completed the Pokedex twice, only to end up going through it again, revising my own work to make it even better, so that when it's finally out there, it's the best it could be.

But that's just on Pokecharms.

When I stepped down from the day-to-day administration of Pokecharms, I was doing so to dedicate my time to new projects (as well as focusing on Uni Work and making sure the relaunch stuff was sorted), and one of those new projects is a whole new website.

I started teasing this in the summer, when the original plan had been to have it ready long before now, but making sure the Pokedex etc was ready was the priority (as well as Uni stuff). However, with some basic notion of when I will have the site ready for launch (though nothing definite), I feel today is as good a day as any to give you a guys a small insight of what to expect next year.

So, without further ado, let me officially announce Trainer-Space.com, a new sister website for Pokecharms coming, ideally, no later than next summer.

I can't give too much away just yet, but Trainer-Space is the culmination of almost a decade of projects and planning for Pokecharms that got to the point where it just needed its own website to really work. If you were around to remember the discussions of 'Project X', well, that project officially finishes when Trainer Space launches (a good 5-6 years on). Some aspects were the Pokedex and new layout design (of which we've had two Pokedexes [kind of], and umpteen different layouts since) - but the remaining ones find themselves incarnated in Trainer-Space, plus a whole lot more.

Trainer-Space serves two main functions. The first is as a social networking application for Pokemon fans. You will find all the features of that you would expect too: status updates; a robust friend list and contact system; a photo/image gallery; polls, quizzes, and so on. We don't intend for you to replace whatever social networking website you're currently using with Trainer-Space - but we do hope that it will make connecting to other Pokemon fans, and organising trades, battles, etc that much easier.

The second main aspect of Trainer-Space is a gaming aspect. This is where I can't give too much information away just yet, but although we're focusing on an image/text based browser point and click set up, in designing this we have taken the approach of developing an actual videogame - specifically an MMO game. We hope that when you get the chance to play around with it, that you find it as engaging and involving as any full 3D game world MMO you'd normally play.

We'll have more information on Trainer-Space closer to its release - and throughout the next year, we will be giving away beta invites for users to get a chance to help us test the site prior to launch and get an exclusive first look at what's available.

So, that's just a glimpse at what's coming up for Pokecharms - and for its extended network - and I hope it has you as excited as it has me. I'll see you all in the New Year, and hope to have all of this set in motion before long.

Happy New Year everyone, and here's to hoping the next decade will be as good to us and our community as this one has. :)

Oooooh... I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this for sure, at the least.

Its really great to know of whats to come, at last. Thanks for letting us know Alex ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
2003... Man. Where has the time gone? XD
I'm glad to have been a part of it all this time. ^_^

Thanks for the read, Alex, and happy new year to everyone from me, too :)

Alex, thanks for staying so dedicated. It's awesome, and you're awesome.

Looking forward to the new updates.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
And after reading this, I realize how much has changed since I first explored the site; I can't imagine what it was like when it first started.

Anywho, Alex, you're awesome. ^^ And I'm sure most, if not all of us are looking forward to all the things that's gonna happen in the next year and stuffs. Of course, everyone's happy about an updated TCM and Pokedex, but another website?

You're one busy person, Doc. XD

Thankies for all your dedication to the site~ and happy new years to you too! :3

And the members wish you a Happy New Year too(or at least, this one XD). After all the teasers, I finally know what's in store, and I have to say...I'm going to sign up the day it comes out(or maybe a day or two later).

Agreeing here with Shiny on how much the site's changed, even in the space of little over a year since I joined.

I'll just join the chorus and say thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to trying to keep us occupied :3

This is a surprise to me! I knew that you were really busy with all of your Uni work AND working on the TCM, Pokedex and Staff Showcase, but I would never have thought of creating a website! It must have been really hard to fit all of that in to your life! Congratulations! ^^

When Trainer-Space comes out, I'll join it straight away. Happy New Year and Decade everyone, hope you enjoyed the noughties! :D

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
:o Awesomesause! You have outdone yourself Master Alex, and I mean that. We thank you for all of your hard work and everything else you continue to do for us. 2010 is going to be an exciting year for sure!

Happy New Year to you and to all the other 3,999 members of PokeCharms!

I take it with the new Pokecharms symbol, we're gonna see a new web layout hopefully. Anyway, happeh Noo Yea people of 'Charms! Enjoy yourselves.

I am SO excited for Trainer Space. I think it'll be awesome. You should make it able to be viewed by mobile phones too if it's possible. Like how Facebook, Myspace, etc can.

Thanks, Alex, for all your hard work!

Everything in that first post sounds great, I can't wait to see how it all turns out! Happy New Year to you too, Doctor Oak, and to everyone else too!