• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New WiiWare Pokemon game to be released this month

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Pok%C3%A9mon_Scramble_logo_jp.png
Going by the name "Melee! Pokemon Scramble," this WiiWare game will be available this month, June 16th for Japanese players to be exact, for a cost of 1500 Points. The game, graphically, is similar to Pokemon Ranch, although the gameplay couldn't be more different, as this game features multiple Pokemon doing battle in a fast-paced brawl that looks similar to the chaos that often took place in Nintendo's last game that had the word "Melee" in its title. Speaking of Melee, players can take screenshots of their Pokemon in action, much like you could in Melee and now Brawl.

The general gameplay is fairly standard for a game of this type: fight through numerous stages, each with their share of opponents, until finally reaching the boss Pokemon, which is sometimes Legendary, but is also sometimes just a giant version of a non-Legendary Pokemon. Other Pokemon can be acquired as the game progresses, and the player defeats more opponents. Other modes include a two-player Co-op mode, and an all-out, fight to the finish mode for up to four players. The Pokemon in the game aren't real, however, and are in fact a collection of wind-up toys that can be made to fight each other until only one remains. An interesting concept to say the least.

Finally, passwords will be available, both in-game and on the official Pokemon Scramble website, allowing players to unlock more content within the game, specifically Legendary Pokemon. Junichi Masuda claimed around two weeks ago that he wanted to add some action elements to the series - this game could very well be the result.

For an in-depth look at the game in action, check out the official website at http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/pokemonscramble/

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That... is just... wow. I was sold at the word "Melee" XD

I totally see this as a pilot project for bigger things to come in the future. Making it WiiWare is really cool, and I can't wait for it to hit NA. Too bad we can't upload and use our own Pokemon, but maybe someday, eh?

In short: Do want.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Kinda worried that this completely avoided E3 all together. Though it would have been odd for an American announcement of a Japanese game - it does make it a bit unlikely that we'll see this in English for a while - maybe not even until after the summer?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Going by what Nintendo said at their press conference at E3, what they showed is nowhere near as significant as what they appear to be hiding. Iwata himself briefly suggested in his speech that Nintendo is hiding quite a lot from the public right now, and this evidently is one of the things they were keeping secret at the conference.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
What KoL said. But even then, I don't think we should expect to see this outside of Japan anytime soon. I'd give it a few months at least before it's annouced for NA or Europe.

By looking at the video, I'm 50/50 for the game. The good 50 because it's Pokemon, the bad 50 because it's nothing like Super Smash Bros. I don't have Wi-Fi on my wii yet, so I'll just hear it from other sites.

Also from viewing, I also noticed that Darkrai could be a boss, but I'm unsure of that. Serebii has displayed pics of the game (http://serebii.net/melee/pics.shtml) that looked kind of appealing.

Wow. I just watched the video and this game looks.. amazing to say the least. I like the idea of the co-op part the best! The way of controlling a specific pokemon is nifty too.

One thing I'm worried about is that this is a Wii Ware game... and I could be wrong, but that gives me the impression that there may not be too much to the game. Or there could be more.. but it's not being tapped in to. I'm seeing lots of potential, but as an add-on to the Wii.. a little apprehensive.

I just finished watching the preview. It kind of shocked me since the gameplay wasn't anything I was expecting, even though it said Melee. It looks really interesting and since it's a WiiWare, it will probably just be starting the new "melee" system they were talking about. Hope it doesn't take too long to get over here.