• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Trailer For 17th Pokémon Movie

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Pokémon movie 16 poster.jpg
A new trailer has been released for the 17th Pokémon movie, Pokémon Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie. The trailer, which can be seen below, shows off Diancie in action alongside Xerneas, Yveltal, Mega Absol and the final stages of the three Kalos starter Pokémon.
The video also shows off a trailer for the Pikachu short that accompanies the film which is titled, Pikachu, What Key Is This? The short shows Pikachu and friends coming across a Klefki and exploring a number of different places using the special keys the Pokémon is holding.

Pokémon Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie will be released in Japan on the 19th of July and Pokémon fans who go to see it will be given the chance to download a Diancie to their Pokémon X or Pokémon Y game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Can I just say Diancie is adorable <333
I actually haven't seen a Pokemon movie since Deoxys (wow, that was really long ago), but I have been trying to follow the XY anime. Might try to watch this one~

To be honest the last Pokemon movie I enjoyed was the Darkrai one, which was Movie 10. After the first DP movie I don't think any of the others have been particularly good.

At this point I can't even remember the rest of the DP and BW movies and I even watched them all.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I heard if you buy tickets to the movie you get a free Darkrai
In Japan, at least, the article says this on the subject:

Pokémon fans who go to see it will be given the chance to download a Diancie to their Pokémon X or Pokémon Y game.

Obviously distributions outside Japan can and will differ, given that the film won't see theatrical release internationally. So although it is likely that we'll get the Diancie event, the movie hasn't even been announced outside Japan yet so there's no official news.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So what about people in like Australia and America? (and other countries) will we get a chance to download Diancie?
Okay, you need to understand what that event announcement is and how the whole thing works.

The Pokémon Company is split into two: The Pokémon Company itself, which deals with all Japanese events, and TPCi - The Pokémon Company International.

TPCi is in charge of the rest of the world, and generally work with a region's Nintendo branch to get things distributed - in America and Canada, they organise their events with Nintendo of America, in Europe they organise it with Nintendo of Europe, and so on and so forth. This is the primary reason we still see disparity n the minor events - the events that don't involve event-exclusive creatures like Diancie. TPC Japan can get this sort of thing sorted comparatively easily, but for TPCi it becomes incredibly expensive to do so.

What this means is that the process of distributing events is a many-headed hydra, all with their own opinions and timeframes and, most importantly, all completely independent of each other. This means when we read an article from Japan, it only concerns events in Japan. When an event is announced in Europe, it only concerns events in Europe. And so on. Nintendo of Japan won't ever say anything about what will happen in Europe or America, because they simply don't know.

What we can, do however, is to apply a bit of past knowledge and make an estimated guess. For example, a new event Pokémon headlining a movie has happened half a dozen times before - the most recent example of a movie event is Keldeo. When the Japanese got Keldeo with the release of the fifteenth movie, Kyurem Vs. the Sword of Justice, we got a physical event announced a few months later. Where I am in Europe, that means TPCi poked Nintendo of Europe, who organised with GAME (and certain continental retailers) to distribute the events. In America and Canada, they did the same with GameStop and EB Games.

This time around, my strong suspicion is that we'll follow the same process, but with a few mechanical differences - the Diancie movie will come out in July, and a month or two later we'll get events announced worldwide for the rest of us. I suspect the turnaround will be faster this time, as Nintendo have (in my opinion) seemingly been trialling a simpler way of distributing critters with the current UK Electabuzz/Magmar distribution - instead of sending out sensitive, specially-manufactured game carts to use as distribution hubs to each individual store, they're sending out stacks of leaflets containing single-use codes.

tl;dr: We're getting the events. We're getting them a couple of months after Japan. We can assume this because there's an established pattern from previous events. We do not make assumptions from what we read in Japanese news releases, because international affairs are entirely independent. No news means no news, it does not mean the sky is falling.

I feel that it's kinda unfair that only people who go see the movie will get diancie. This means I have to fly to japan to watch a movie I don't understand . The pokemon community really needs to understand that Japanese are not the only important people out there.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
... Kid, keep your shirt on. There will be a Diancie distribution out of Japan at some point. You don't have to do anything that drastic for a silly event legendary. XP

I also suggest you read the comment threads before you reply, because Teapot explained the whole distribution thing pretty well just a few responses ago.

Last edited:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The video also shows off a trailer for the Pikachu short that accompanies the film which is titled, Pikachu, What Key Is This? The short shows Pikachu and friends coming across a Klefki and exploring a number of different places using the special keys the Pokémon is holding.

Overall the trailer was really nifty but when I saw the Klefki short I couldn't help but think of Nisekoi. So many keys... so many broken promises...

A new trailer has been released for the 16th Pokémon movie, Pokémon Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie. The trailer, which can be seen below, shows off Diancie in action alongside Xerneas, Yveltal, Mega Absol and the final stages of the three Kalos starter Pokémon.

Pokémon Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie will be released in Japan on the 19th of July and Pokémon fans who go to see it will be given the chance to download a Diancie to their Pokémon X or Pokémon Y game.

Looks pretty darn epic...