• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Pokken Tournament Trailer, Three New Characters Revealed

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Pokkén_Tournament_logo.png
A special stream went live in Japan today giving us some new information on Pokkén Tournament. The stream gave a lot of information but most notably confirmed Suicune, Gardevoir and Pikachu as playable characters in the game, which so far gives us a total of five playable fighters.

The stream also confirmed the existence of support Pokémon who can lend a hand in battle. When starting a match players can select a set of Pokémon to help them out in their match when the support gauge is full. Support Set A was shown to contain Emolga and Fennekin, while Support Set B contains Snivy and Lapras.

A new trailer for Pokkén Tournament can be found below:

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm actually more hyped forthis than I have been for a main series game for a while...
Hopefully it won't be too long before we can actually play it, but a localised, Wii U release, doesn't really seem like it's something that's going to happen this year...

Um... Wasn't really expecting Suicune. I would have preferred Raikou, but eh.... At least that means that quadrupled Pokemon will be in the game. I'm hoping that Virizion will be a playable character, that would be freaking epic!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Interestingly, this is the (non-final) controller for the game in arcades... no fight sticks? O.o

View attachment 154800
It makes sense. They'll be wanting to ensure that this game stays accessible in the same way Smash does. Fight sticks are expensive and can be intimidating to non-FGC players. This may not matter much when we're taking about Japanese arcades, but there's no hiding the reality that this -will- be on the Wii U eventually and making it as accessible as possible there is just as important as it is for Smash.

So long as the game is good and features enough depth to the game play the fighting game community will still accept it regardless of controller (see Smash), so it should only really work to its benefit to be directly built with a controller in mind.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
@Doctor Oak That's a very good point. And I would be very surprised if Wii U fightsticks didn't appear for this game at some point anyway if anyone really cared. After all, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom got one for the Wii, even over here...

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Removed a couple of spammy posts. Please bear in mind the rules when commenting, folks :)