• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Pokémon To Be Revealed Next Week!

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Japanese TV show Pokémon Smash has just aired in Japan and brought with it the announcement that Junichi Masuda will be a guest on the show next week and will be revealing a brand new Pokémon for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y along with something else, although the details on just what else will be revealed currently aren't clear. The official Pokémon Facebook page has also told fans to expect news next Saturday, meaning the announcement should be made for Pokémon fans worldwide at around about the same time, which is certainly an exciting thought.

Pokemon_Smash_logo.png

Japanese magazine CoroCoro is also due quite soon considering we're at the start of April, however the magazine likely won't leak before Saturday and the chances are if a new Pokémon is revealed on Pokémon Smash then CoroCoro won't bring us too many new details, if any at all. Either way next Saturday should be an exciting day!

Last edited:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It would amuse me if the "something else" was a new type for this new Pokemon and Sylveon.

But, hopefully, we'll get a bit more information about the actual game.

Also hoping this is the beginning of a steady stream of info over the next 6 months. It's been frustratingly quiet so far.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
It would amuse me if the "something else" was a new type for this new Pokemon and Sylveon.

But, hopefully, we'll get a bit more information about the actual game.

Also hoping this is the beginning of a steady stream of info over the next 6 months. It's been frustratingly quiet so far.
In all fairness, I'm quite happy for a relative lack of news regarding XY - we really do not want a repeat of Brawl's lead up, where virtually everything about the game was revealed prior to the release of the game, ruining any secrets it had. The worldwide release is heralding a time where we can finally set off on an even footing with Japan, without having everything about the games repeatedly and firmly ruined before we even have a release date. As much as I am excited about what XY will bring (and as much as I will be eagerly awaiting news on the new Pokémon next week), I'm also looking forward to being able to discover some of it myself.

Admittedly anything I learn before release will be entirely my fault, but being a regular here means there's only so much I can avoid :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I dunno, I'm pretty happy discovering new Pokemon one way or the other. In fact, if anything, learning about them as they're revealed like this just gives me the chance to get to know them more and I pick it all up quicker. It's no coincidence that the Pokemon I find hardest to remember about in B/W are the ones that weren't revealed before release.

But, really, I'm more interested in the game itself. It's a pretty big deal for a new Pokemon game on a new system, and so far we know nothing about it at all outside of the new battle and world engine it'll use. Will it take any advantage of the 3DS's unique features like Streetpass? Will GameFreak finally be the ones to come up with a decent gameplay mechanic that uses the 3D aspect somehow? What kind of region will this (still unnamed) new location be? What's the central story gimmick?

Not all of this should be detailed at once, and most of it probably should be kept to the very end before release, but since announcement we've had one trailer and an Eeveelution. It's not exactly much to get hyped about.

I also feel that Pokemon needs to make better use of this time between now and the Autumn to get full brainspace awareness, too. There's just way too much going on by October for X/Y to compete on even terms as the main title to concentrate on at the time. It's going to have a week or so at most to get some press space in amongst everything else that will be hitting at the same time, not to mention actual gameplay time. Personally, I'll probably have the week after launch itself to actually give it my time at absolute best - in between GTA V, WindWaker, Assassin's Creed, WatchDogs and two new consoles - and I'd be happy to give it the time now, long before anything else materialises, to start really getting into the game.

I guess it's just hard to consider the idea of 'spoiling' a Pokemon game when it's not really a plot heavy game - and I wouldn't really consider game mechanics a spoiler. But maybe I'm just too used to the fact that I know almost everything about the games before I play them anyway.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I think I mostly agree with Alex here regarding finding out about new Pokémon. I do like going into a game without knowing about every single Pokémon (I find it fun to come across something brand new while on my adventure), but I really enjoy finding about Pokémon like this too because it gives me something to look forward to and get hyped for. I guess I stand in the middle and like a fine balance of finding out about new Pokémon before I touch the games and finding out about them through actually playing. Either way I can't wait to see what kind of Pokémon we'll be introduced to next week. ^^

I do hope they tell us something interesting about the games too though. It currently doesn't sound like we're in for a trailer of any kind (asides from a clip of the new Pokémon in battle), so if they do reveal anything about the games it likely won't be that huge an announcement, but I'm curious about it anyway and hope they don't build it up and then just give us types for the Eeveeltion/Mascots.

Guess we'll see though. Should be a good week. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
But, really, I'm more interested in the game itself. It's a pretty big deal for a new Pokemon game on a new system, and so far we know nothing about it at all outside of the new battle and world engine it'll use. Will it take any advantage of the 3DS's unique features like Streetpass? Will GameFreak finally be the ones to come up with a decent gameplay mechanic that uses the 3D aspect somehow? What kind of region will this (still unnamed) new location be? What's the central story gimmick?

This has been my general thinking on it too. The lack of information regarding new gameplay features, especially when you consider how long its been since the games were first revealed, is head scratchy. I don't need much to stay satisfied but I do need something. Everything we've learned about the gameplay so far was shown in the announcement trailers. I don't think they've shown or said anything solid otherwise, just the odd hint within interviews. I'm hungry for news and hoping that they won't leave us hanging too much longer. Even just a name for the new region would do. ;x