• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Pokecharms Design Launched

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, it's finally up - a few weeks after I said I'd attempt to get it done by. The major reason for this was the lack of ability to actually interact with the server and get any work done over Christmas. But - now that I'm back to my own compy (and shiny new lappy), I've got the opportunity to get some work done.

I was going to wait for the Pokedex upgrade to be finished before launching the layout fully - but believe it or not, the credit crunch is hitting even us as the Google ads are slowly failing to pay for the site thanks to a crummy exchange rate. This should be enough of a kick up the arse for them to keep up with the site costs.

As promised, you can choose another theme to use on the forums should you wish. This includes the previous layout that we have used for years as well as the brief Ranger 2 themed layout that was available in this specific forum throughout December.

As event related themes are put up, they will continue to be selectable after the event in the same manner.

To change your theme, go to profile and click on "look and layout preferences". There will be a link at the top to change your theme.

As this new design will see a complete reworking of all content on the site eventually, the existing content isn't fully optimised for the new design, so there will be some oddities here and there. And unfortunately, the new Pokedex will take another couple of weeks to complete and the current Pokedex wont operate properly in the meantime because of the ongoing work. The new Dex should be online before the end of the month though, and after that I will begin work on completely reworking the site's content and general improvements.

So, yeah, unfortunately we're only running at about 2/3rds operating capacity really at the moment - but it shouldn't last too long, and the reward will be a massively improved Pokecharms that should be a lot easier to enjoy and a lot more unified.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I wasn't expecting to see this when I woke up this morning. Opened Charms, noticed the BG color was different, and sat there staring for a few seconds as my brain took a moment to click in (it's 6:26 AM. Humor me).

Great to finally see this layout in full usage, and looking forward to the 'dex upgrades in the coming weeks. Thanks for all the hard work, Alex ^^

Also, I approve of Ivysaur being the Pokemon of choice for this layout design. :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
It took me by surprise as well. I double-looked at the screen and took a second or two to comprehend the new design XD

It's looking awesome, and like Linkachu said Ivysaur is a great choice. I really love going to the bottom of the page and seeing him 'hide' in the grass.

Thanks Alex for all the hard work. I'm looking forward to the 'Dex upgrades ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I ended up changing my board theme back to the Darkrai style because I adore the starry background. I had one question about it, though.

Is there anyway you'd be able to re-upload that theme without the release date text on it? The text is no longer relevant, and if by chance we could do without it I think the theme would look better.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Also, it would be useful not to force the new theme on this board anymore :)

I'm not a huge fan of the new layout because I'm used to the old one, prefer the sort-of 3-D look of the last one, and I like the way the text conformed to the web box when I shrunk the page.

I changed it back to the old one on my account.

I quite like the new layout, but I'd like the ability to stretch the text boxes or some-such-like, as reading stories on my screen is rather awkward at the moment (big screen, with Firefox covering three quarters and the text walls are still a bit daunting, also, I don't believe in zooming). Besides that though, I like it, really.

Love this new design. Love the Ivysaur. It really took me by surprise when I got here. I was expecting to see Giratina, and what do I get? One of the evolutions of my fave grass starter! Love it!