• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Nintendo trademarks provide possible new Pokemon game names

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Take these with a massive pinch of salt, as it's possible very little will come of these, but a member of NeoGaf - that infamous forum where just about EVERY game-related leak apparently manages to find its way onto - has stumbled upon a list of Nintendo's latest trademark applications. Among them, a bunch of new Pokemon game trademarks.

These trademarks also include Red, Blue, Green and Yellow - so it's possibly just Nintendo covering its ass legally, presumably with the trademarks for the first four games slipping over time.

HOWEVER, the last time we found a big list like this, it was during the run up to Ruby and Sapphire and included the names Diamond and Pearl.

So... yeah...

Pokémon Black, Pokémon Brown, Pokémon White, Pokémon Gray, Pokémon Scarlet, Pokémon Purple, Pokémon Crimson, and a second version of Pokémon Scarlet (spelt slightly differently in Japanese) are the new trademarks to have appeared - notably all basic colours akin to R/B/G/Y.

Like I said, take it as a huge leap for any of these names to ever actually find themselves attached to a game. However, if I were to place my bets on any - it'd probably be Crimson and Scarlet.

What would your preference be, and maybe if we stick along the same lines of possibility that they'll use basic colours again in the next game names, what other options would you think would work? Let us know in the topic. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemon Crimson. Has a nice ring to it. And I agree that Scarlet would match nicely with it, too. I'd dig 'em for gen 5 releases.

I don't really have an opinion on this news at the moment, but it is an interesting tidbit to note. I guess time will tell if the names mean anything or not...

If I were to say anything, it'd be Crimson and Scarlet, though both are red-shades. But honestly, I think this is all Nintendo covering anything that they might even consider using.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I must say I quite like the name Pokemon Purple, although Scarlet and Crimson sound the most likely names Nintendo would choose.

I can't see them going for Brown and Grey, those two names don't really sound very appealing. Black and white, followed by Grey could work.

I agree that it's very possible Nintendo were just covering themselves. Following the pattern of names, we started with colours, then gold and silver, followed by Crystal, which the games after have all been named after (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl) Platinum moves from crystals to metal, so maybe Brown/Black etc. were the other way the names could have gone. With the pattern I'd expect more Metals to surface as the next game names, but you never know ^^

Heh, this is hard to think of. The name Platinum was a complete throw-off. So I dunno these are gonna work out. Although, I do quite like the sound of Scarlet and Crimson, which also seem the most likely. Black, White, and Grey would be awesome, too. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things go over!

Yeah, Crimson and Scarlet sound better than the others, and somewhat unique. I mean not everyone actaully knows what those colours actually are ;)

Otherwise, Pokémon Black, White and Grey could be forseeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing these and not something like Topaz or Opal means that the gem thread is fading. I personally Nintendo was a little fast about moving to G/S/C. If they stuck with basic colors a little longer, then they could slowly climb up the value ladder until they reached Diamond and Pearl say in the 6th or 7th generation. But here's what I think they would choose depending on what chain they attach themselves to.

Gems: Topaz and Opal
Metals: Steel and Iron
Basic colors: Crimson and Sky (both are forms of the colors used in the first generation)

Oh yeah! Pokemon Crimson has a good sound to it. While the others sound kind of bland or just don't seem to identify as a pokemon game. Black and white would be better as shadows and light, grey and brown would be better as steel and rock, but I don't know about purple and scarlet. Ghost and energy? No, now I'm just rambling. but I would like to see a Jade version made someday.

I think I would definitely buy Pokemon Scarlet and Crimson, they just both sound awesome. :D The basic colors though, I can see being a remake of G/S/C like how they did Fire Red and Leaf Green being remakes of R/B/Y.

Black and white, because they just compliment each other. If it was a G/S/C remake, I'd be happy...as long as the name doesn't suck.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm hoping for Sterling Silver and 24 Karat Gold for a G/S/C remake...

Also, I actually like the sound of Brown and Grey versions. I'd buy it.

Meh, when I was little, I made up a Purple version... so that would be kinda fun to play. I think it's probably a cover, but we can't be too sure. I'd go with Black and White, that just goes with the opposite thing too well.​

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Scarlet and Crimson would definately be amazing names for upcoming games. Going back to color names may be Nintendo's way of saying they're going back to basics. What I mean is the 1st gen had few Legendaries that were powerful, but they weren't the masters of all creation.

All I can really say is just "wow." Why all those names?! I mean, I just have a feeling Nintendo should have used these names a bit earlier. It would make sense if they made Black, White, and Gray instead of gold/silver. But what do I know?! xD

But, my opinion on Scarlet and Crimson names... they're both a shade of red. Except that Scarlet is a fire-y, bright red/orange while Crimson is a deep and darker shade. If Nintendo decides to make them as their future games, I might buy it... for my curiosity xD

I do forsee a Black/White/Gray version. It'd be awesome-sauce to make the whole storyline (and hopefully make 3 separate stories that ties the 3 versions together... It'd be nice to have something different than to have the same story and have different Pokemon.)

Another thing is I was hoping that Nintendo would make more gem versions. We already had Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond, and Pearl. On top of that, there's Platinum coming up. Perhaps there could be a Garnet, Topaz, Amethyst (My birthstone :3! -shot-), or any other gem. Just wishful thinking, don't hurt me! xD

C

Celadon

They might use different things this time. Maybe classes of organisms (flora and fauna)? XD

In colours, well, I like the sound of black and white. Why? I like black and white movies =D And they compliment each other.

Oh, and Poke'mon crimson, scarlet and purple sound good, too. They sound like colors which will attract many buyers immediately.

I'd think maybe Scarlet and Crimson. Black, White, and Grey would probably start up to many racial jokes if you know what I mean. But Brown sounds too common and, seriously, who wants to play a game called Pokemon Brown. It sounds like a cheap Pokemon pirated game to me. But yeah most likely (if these rally are the candidates for new Pokemon game names) that these two will be the titles.

Crimson and Scarlet sound cool. Hopefully, if Nintendo does do new Pokemon games, they'll be Johto remakes. I'd buy Crimson, then name my Totodile "Chin". (Get it?) Brown doesn't have a ring to it, but black and white, followed by grey would be cool, for Hoenn remakes.

As to why Platinum came to be with Diamond and Pearl: they are all three precious materials. Just like in comparison to Gold and Silver which are considered elegant metals, Crystal is also considered elegant.

They would have no reason not to go back to colors, though my main concern is what kind of new pokemon there would be. I mean... all elements are covered multiple times over, time/space/time travel/wish granting and now even a god pokemon... Not much left now is there?

Exactly, which is what I would like to see. Back to how the games used to be, when there weren't like 20-odd legendaries.

As far as the names go... Blak/White/Gray would be the best but Crimson/Scarlet/whatever would be the sentationalized names.

Also, as for a third one for that string... Anyone got any ideas? Personaly I think that Puce would be odd enough for 'em.