• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

General Gen 6 New Abilities

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
On this page we'll detail all of the new abilities being introduced in Pokémon X and Y as they're revealed.

Aerilate

Japanese Name: Sky Skin
Effect In Battle: Aerilate changes [type="normal"][/type] moves into [type="flying"][/type] Moves.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Mega Pinsir

Aroma Veil

Japanese Name:Aroma Veil
Effect In Battle: Aroma Veil protects the Pokémon's allies from the effects of Taunt and Torment.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Spritzee (Hidden Ability), Aromatisse (Hidden Ability)

Aura Break

Japanese Name: Aura Break
Effect In Battle: Aura Break reverses the effects of the Aura abilities (Fairy Aura and Dark Aura).
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Zygarde.

Bulletproof

Japanese Name: Bulletproof
Effect In Battle: Bulletproof grants the Pokémon immunity from the following Ball and Bomb moves:
  • Acid Spray
  • Aura Sphere
  • Barrage
  • Bullet Seed
  • Egg Bomb
  • Electro Ball
  • Energy Ball
  • Focus Blast
  • Gyro Ball
  • Ice Ball
  • Magnet Bomb
  • Mud Bomb
  • Octazooka
  • Rollout
  • Seed Bomb
  • Shadow Ball
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Weather Ball
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Chespin (Hidden Ability), Quilladin (Hidden Ability), Chesnaught (Hidden Ability),

Cheek Pouch

Japanese Name: Cheek Pouches
Effect In Battle: If a Pokémon with this Ability eats a Berry during battle, it will not only reap the usual benefits of that Berry, but will also be able to regain HP.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Dedenne, Bunnelby, Diggersby

Competitive

Japanese Name: Determined Spirit
Effect In Battle: If a Pokémon with this Ability has any of its stats lowered, its Special Attack will be raised two levels.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Igglybuff, Milotic, Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle

Dark Aura

Japanese Name: Dark Aura
Effect In Battle: Increases the power of all Dark-type moves.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Yveltal

yveltal_dark_aura_screensho.png

Fairy Aura

Japanese Name: Fairy Aura
Effect In Battle: Increases the power of all Fairy-type moves.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Xerneas

xerneas_fairy_aura_screensh.png

Flower Veil

Japanese Name: Flower Veil
Effect In Battle: Protects all ally Grass-type Pokémon from having their stats lowered.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Flabébé, Floette, Florges

Fur Coat

Japanese Name: Fur Coat
Effect In Battle: Fur Coat halves damage from Physical moves.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Furfrou

Gale Wings

Japanese Name: Gale Wings
Effect In Battle: Gale Wings increases the priority of all [type="flying"][/type] type moves by 1.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Fletchling (Hidden Ability), Fletchinder (Hidden Ability), Talonflame (Hidden Ability).

Gooey

Japanese Name: Gooey
Effect In Battle: Gooey causes the opponent's speed stat to drop by one stage if it uses an attack that makes contact with the Pokémon.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Goomy (Hidden Ability), Sliggoo (Hidden Ability), Goodra (Hidden Ability).

Grass Pelt

Japanese Name: Grass Pelt
Effect In Battle: A Pokémon with this ability will have its Defense boosted when Grassy Terrain is in effect.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Skiddo (Hidden Ability), Gogoat (Hidden Ability)

Magician

Japanese Name: Magician
Effect In Battle: When A Pokémon with this ability hits another Pokémon with a move, it will steal the item that the target was holding.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Fennekin (Hidden Ability), Braixen (Hidden Ability), Delphox (Hidden Ability), Klefki (Hidden Ability)

Mega Launcher

Japanese Name: Mega Launcher
Effect In Battle: Mega Launcher boosts the power of Pulse and Aura moves by 50%. The following moves are affected:
  • Aura Sphere
  • Dark Pulse
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Water Pulse
  • Heal Pulse
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Clauncher, Clawitzer, Mega Blastoise

Parental Bond

Japanese Name: Parental Bond
Effect In Battle: A Pokémon with the Parental Bond ability may attack twice each turn, with the second attack being slightly weaker than the first. The ability only affects moves that do damage.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Mega Kangaskhan

Pixilate

Japanese Name: Fairy Skin
Effect In Battle: Pixilate changes [type="normal"][/type] moves into [type="fairy"][/type] moves and increases attack damage by 30%.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon (Hidden Ability)

Protean

Japanese Name: Protean
Effect In Battle: A Pokémon with Protean will change its type to the same type of the move it uses. A dual-type Pokémon that has this Ability will change both its types.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Kecleon (Hidden Ability), Froakie (Hidden Ability), Frogadier (Hidden Ability), Greninja (Hidden Ability)

Refrigerate

Japanese Name: Freeze Skin
Effect In Battle: Refrigerate changes [type="normal"][/type] moves into [type="ice"][/type] moves and increases attack damage by 30%
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Amaura, Aurorus

Stance Change

Japanese Name: Battle Switch
Effect In Battle: This ability changes Aegislash's forms between Blade Forme and Shield Forme, depending on the attack it used.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Aegislash

Strong Jaw

Japanese Name: Strong Chin
Effect In Battle: The power of moves that use fangs have their power boosted. The following moves are affected:
  • Bite
  • Crunch
  • Fire Fang
  • Ice Fang
  • Thunder Fang
  • Poison Fang
  • Hyper Fang
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Tyrunt, Tyrantrum

Sweet Veil

Japanese Name: Sweet Veil
Effect In Battle: Protects all ally Pokémon from being put to sleep.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Swirlix, Slurpuff

Symbiosis

Japanese Name: Symbiosis
Effect In Battle: If both the Pokémon that have this ability and an ally have items and the ally's item is consumed, the Pokémon with Symbiosis will pass its own item to its ally.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Flabébé (Hidden Ability), Floette (Hidden Ability), Florges (Hidden Ability).

Tough Claws

Japanese Name: Tough Claws
Effect In Battle: Raises the power of moves that make direct contact.
Pokémon Who Have This Ability: Binacle, Barbaracle, Mega Charizard X, Mega Aerodactyl

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the new ability that the most trainers will appreciate is Swirlix's Sweet Veil. I think every trainer's been thinking that kind of ability was needed a long time ago! :o

"Bulletproof grants the Pokémon from the following Ball and Bomb moves"

What exactly does it grant the Pokemon regarding this list of moves? Resistance? Immunity?

After playing the game & watching hundreds of Wifi battles, I feel that Protean is now the most popular ability introduced in Gen VI since nearly everyone and their Aunt Trixie has a Greninja with one. Plus, I have to say, from what I've seen a pokémon with Protean is practically unbeatable

After playing the game & watching hundreds of Wifi battles, I feel that Protean is now the most popular ability introduced in Gen VI since nearly everyone and their Aunt Trixie has a Greninja with one. Plus, I have to say, from what I've seen a pokémon with Protean is practically unbeatable
If you run a Goodra or Blissey, I believe you shouldn't have a problem with Greninja at all.

In my opinion, Gale Wings is the most popular ability, since people are now forced to use a Rotom, Tyrantrum, Landorus-Therian, Tyrannitar, and other Pokemon on their team only to wall Gale Wings Talonflame.

If you run a Goodra or Blissey, I believe you shouldn't have a problem with Greninja at all.

In my opinion, Gale Wings is the most popular ability, since people are now forced to use a Rotom, Tyrantrum, Landorus-Therian, Tyrannitar, and other Pokemon on their team only to wall Gale Wings Talonflame.
Gale wings would be overpowered for a flying pokemon...