• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Monotype Cup 2014 - Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Monotype_zpsdbbd4eac.jpg

After a week-long break and a fair bit of discussion I'm pleased to finally say that the Monotype Cup signups are now open.

Just like the Singles Showdown, this tournament will take place on the battle simulator Pokemon Showdown, which can be found here:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/

The procedures will be as follows: You will all have until July 1st 2014 to sign up for this tournament, and just like every other tournament all you need to do to sign up for this is post in this thread saying that you wish to compete. Once the deadline has been hit, I will be using a random number generator to give every competitor a random type out of the 18 that exist. Then, you must create a team containing only Pokemon of that type and you will all battle it out to decide who the champion is. A few things of note:

- Dual-typed Pokemon can be used freely as long as one of their types matches your mono-type. For example, Aegislash would be eligible on a mono-Ghost or a mono-Steel team.

- If a Pokemon's base form doesn't match your mono-type but its Mega Evolution does then it cannot be used, so Mega Charizard X cannot be used on mono-Dragon teams because regular Charizard is not a Dragon-type. This also works in reverse: If you were using a mono-Flying team with Charizard on it, you would not be allowed to use Charizardite X since he would no longer be a Flying-type upon Mega Evolving.

- After a community vote, it has been decided that any moves and abilities that cause a Pokemon's type to change are banned from use. The moves and abilities in question are:

- Protean
- Colour Change
- Forecast
- Impostor

- Transform
- Conversion
- Conversion 2
- Camouflage
- Reflect Type
- Soak
- Relic Song

Unfortunately this has resulted in Kecleon, Ditto and Castform being completely unusable, so if you do get Normal as your assigned type then note that all three of these Pokemon are effectively banned from use.

Otherwise standard rules apply. The following stuff cannot be used:

Pokemon

Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Dialga
Genesect
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Kyurem-W
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zekrom

Abilities

Moody

Items

Gengarite
Kangaskhanite
Lucarionite

Moves

Swagger

...and the following clauses apply:

SPECIES CLAUSE: No two Pokemon on a team can have the same National Pokedex Number.
EVASION CLAUSE: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned from use.
OHKO CLAUSE: The moves Guillotine, Sheer Cold, Fissure and Horn Drill are banned from use.
FAIR PLAY CLAUSE: If a match would end in a 0-0 draw due to the use of Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond or Perish Song, the user of the move in question loses.
SLEEP CLAUSE: No two Pokemon can be put to sleep at once on a team. Self-inflicted sleep from Rest and randomly-inflicted sleep from Effect Spore do not count towards this.

I think that's everything, I'm sure someone will correct me if it isn't. These rules will be posted again in the official tournament topic as well just in case anyone is uncertain.

Two final things of note: This topic is for signups and queries only. Any post in this topic that is neither of the aforementioned will earn you a SPAM warning. Also note that any player who signs up for this and then drops out without a good reason once the tournament properly starts will be banned from future tournaments.

Sign-ups are officially go. You have just over two weeks to sign up, so don't be late.

SIGN-UPS:

- Shocari
- Rex
- Dwayna Dragonfire
- Alexxander
- Teapot
- Mr. RMA
- Luckii
- Kyubeon
- Psycho Monkey
- Jeydis
- Ruko (Sub)
- Ekans
- Tangrow
- Brendan Savem
- Steveplays
- MarethyuX12
- Luxray901

Last edited:

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
I'll give this one a go, sure. Been meaning to give monotype battling a try, and this will give me a good opportunity to see how I do with it.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Gonna try a monotype I guess. XD

Question: if we get more than 18 participants, how do you determine which types get doubled?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Question: if we get more than 18 participants, how do you determine which types get doubled?

The process would basically repeat itself from the beginning. Player 19 would get a randomly designated type from the 18 that exist, and then Player 20 would receive the same except with Player 19's type removed from the shuffle and so on.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Of course I'm in on this :)

I'm also forming and playing around with practice teams even though I don't know what my type will be yet - if anyone wants to join me in these practice rounds, grab me on IRC.

Also, if there is an odd number of participants, how are we going to set out the tournament? Are we going to give people byes to the next round, or are we going to have a group stage or something?

You know what, I'm interested. Been doing a bit more competitive pokemon battling over the past year, and I think I actually know what I'm doing now. Sign me up.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I would like to compete in the tournament please :)

On a side note I randomized the pokemon types just for an experiment and I ended up getting water/dragon/psychic the most.

Wait, it says that relic song is banned… what if you were doing a normal type team?

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Then you can still use Meloetta, but you can't use Relic Song.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since we've hit 16 competitors now, I will begin assigning types to you all with my RNG. You will receive your designated type today, and from then you will have until June 28th to reply back telling me all of your team members. Because of this rule, you cannot change team members at any time during the tournament. Please keep that in mind when making your choices.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Just to clarify, is the tournament still open to new signups if someone wanted?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Only if someone doesn't reply by the June 28th deadline. As of right now signups are temporarily closed. However, if a person doesn't reply by the deadline, they will be cut from the tournament and this will give any stragglers up to the initial July 1st deadline to sign up.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Preferably I'd like everything, but if you're not 100% certain on certain moves/items but still want to confirm I'll settle for the species names.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I'm so pumped for this tournament :) I wish the best of luck to everyone ( Besides the person who got dragon )

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Easy on the banter guys, we need to keep the topic tidy in case of queries and whatnot.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I'm sorry.
Here is a question on the tournament, are we able to tell others our type that we got for the tournament?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I won't be revealing anyone's type at any point so you don't have to tell anyone. I suppose you could tell someone if you wanted to although you'd only be ruining your own element of surprise by doing so, but it's up to you.

Same type clause? I'm not fully sure what that is but given it's a monotype tournament all Pokemon must fit into the monotype. If you're referring to secondary types then that is allowed also so for example Mawile and Klefki could be used on Fairy team while sharing Steel typing but equally Mawile and Togekiss would be allowed despite different secondary types. If you are referring to type changing such as Kecleon then that is banned. The species clause is also in effect so you can't have two Charizards and you can't have a Wash Rotom and a Fan Rotom for example on the same team

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The monotype option on Showdown should enforce the same type rule by itself I imagine. Either way, if anyone was to cheat by not using monotype it'd be pretty easy to catch them out and since you can save match replays it's also very easy to prove what went on.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
We can't use the mono-type option on showdown as it bans Talonflame automatically.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Then I'll just have to trust you to not cheat, but I can't imagine that being an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.