• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Member Showcase #7

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, with Linkachu's blessing, I'm here to restart the Member Showcases! The details as to nominations and whatnot are very similar to the way Katie used to do them - see the end of this post for more details. The format will be virtually the same as before, just with me operating them instead of Katie - so any questions/suggestions/hatemail regarding them should ideally be pointed towards me.

The first member I will showcase here has been here for a while - nearly two years, in fact - and has been posting his artwork ever since - both his own work, and untold numbers of requests from the community. He's been a fairly active chat participant, an active role-player, and is also directly responsible for my title! This member is, of course, Reynald, and his art threads can be found here and here.

The showcase, as well as details for nominating members, is after the comment jump. Enjoy, guys.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Database: Thanks for taking the time to talk to us! First off, how did you find our community, and what inspired you to post your work here?
Reynald: Wow...I don't really remember. I think I was in the mood to do some Pokemon role playing and I went on Google. This site caught my attention because of the Trainer Card maker and how well it was being run.

As for what made me want to post my work here? I love letting people see my work and drawing for them. When I noticed that this site had an art section I couldn't resist. I have actually gotten more popularity here than on sites like Deviant art and Sheezy art and it really makes me smile to know you guys like viewing my art.

Database: When did you start drawing? How did you develop such a distinctive and unique style?
Reynald: I started actually drawing when I was really little. My dad was always a big artist and we were both comic book nuts. So he bought me a book called, "How to Draw Comics: The Marvel Way" which got me started. I didn't get into my own style till about sixth or seventh grade, I was mainly doing little stick figure comics and small characters. A friend of mine started giving me pointers on his anime style that he did. So I started there and eventually took bits and pieces of other what other people were doing and showing me. I changed everything I learned to fit what I was comfortable with.
The whole Photoshop deal I have came way later. Towards the end of High School in fact. At first my coloring and line art was teerrriible and eventually I took two years of media classes to give me an idea of what I was doing. After that it was finding something that fit and looked good to my eye and hopefully to all of your eyes as well. I still see tons of problems in the artwork I do. I recently went back and looked at my old art thread and cringed a little inside, so I am always trying to improve and find better techniques.

Database: One of the biggest pieces you've done is your The Love Demon Strikes fanart. How long did that take you to do?
Reynald: That piece took me I think closer to three months. Mainly because I had never done many backgrounds before and I had to research everyone's characters and find out a lot about them to make sure that I got it all right. I then drew each character separate, along with the pichus and the lovechu, from the background. Each character took me about a day to do unless I really cracked down and did nothing else for the day. The background was one of the hardest. The role play itself had no clear design to Charms and the battle field was always changing and becoming more and more confusing. So I went with something that I thought would best represent what I thought Charms looked like. An interesting note is the background itself is done entirely in photoshop. I didn't draw the background before hand because well I suck at hand drawing backgrounds. After I got that all done I had to replicate the style that the Charms title was in so the rest of the words would fit in. I am really happy with the way it turned out.

On that topic I have had a few people ask for me to do a Halloween Charms version. Obviously it would be up waay after Halloween but I would keep my eye out for that too if more people ask for it.

Database: You've been a very active role player here, with Hacker: Renegade under your belt as well as many posts in other RPs such as The Love Demon Strikes and, more recently, the Halloween RP. How long have you been roleplaying for?
Reynald: For I think over five years on and off. I mainly role played with friends and took time to get an idea of the characters I was playing down. I had been to a few sites, but I did not like the way they did their role plays. Most were very short posts with no actual action going on and everyone was very much "I win and there is no counter to what I do." I tend to leave my posts open because obviously the person I am interacting with will be able to respond in whatever way they choose. I normally do not write role plays myself, I prefer to be in them. I'm not that great of a writer anyways, heh, my thoughts kinda leap from one part of a project to another.

Database: Similarly, do you ever do any writing outside of role plays?
Reynald: I mainly draw comics. I have a story completely worked out for my main character, Reynald, though I am waiting on the comic for a bit. At least until I can get better at working out comic panels and backgrounds and such. My friend who has been working with me on this idea for the entire 3-4 years is actually writing his story, which I will probably post in here so you all can read it.

But, like I said, I am not that great of a writer. I always am too critical on my posts here and I rarely like what I actually write out story/novel wise.

Database: Deviating from creative pursuits, what's your favorite Pokémon, and why?
Reynald: My favorite Pokemon would have to be the Growlithe evolution line and the Pidgy evolution line. Pidgy, mostly Pidgeot, have always been one of my favorites since Red Version. I don't know why but I think that Pokemon looks really cool. As for Growlithe...I am a dog person. And a dog that can breath fire is just too awesome for me to pass up. And Arcanine is a six foot dog that can breath fire...what's not to like?

Database: Is there anything else you'd like to add before we close?
Reynald: I really appreciate you guys' support for my art and I absolutely love talking to all of you when I can actually get online once in a while. I look forward to role playing with all of you some more and hope to hear some more requests from all of you. Thanks.

---

And now, over to you!

The member showcases wouldn't be what they are without the community - so it's only fair that we give you a chance to nominate who should be showcased! The nomination process is very simple: Just PM me or catch me on chat with who you want to nominate, and briefly explain why they should be showcased. Obviously the member should have been part of Pokécharms for a reasonable amount of time, and have reasonable standing here. They also need to be easily contacted either through chat or PM or similar. Obviously I will be asking the members before I showcase them, for their privacy, and so if they don't want to appear, they won't.

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
OMGOMGOMG IT'S REEEEEEEEEEEEEEY :DDDDDDDDD

To be honest, I was expecting him to be a part of this rather soon because his artworks is awesome and he's been here for a while, like what Data said here~

Gonna read this after I post because I was just soooo spazzed out that Rey was the next one. :DDDD

:D

You're going to do a Halloween RP fanart? Dang BSoD, you made me miss so much!

Congratulations, Rey! This is pretty amazing. I love that you learned to draw ‘The Marvel Way.' Marvel is pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: