• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mega Charizard Y

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
006Charizard_Mega_Y_Dream.png

Mega Charizard Y
[type=fire][/type]/[type=flying][/type]
20477_info.png

Japanese Name: MegaRizardon Y
Height: 1.7m / 5' 07''
Weight: 100.5kg / 221.6 lbs.
Classification: Flame Pokémon

20471_abilities.png

Ability: Drought

20473_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Mega Charizard was first revealed alongside Mega Blastoise and Mega Venusaur during the Pokémon Direct aired on the 4th of September.
Additional Info: When Charizard becomes Mega Charizard, its pointed horns and long tail give the Pokémon a look of sleek sharpness. Mega Charizard is in a league of its own when it comes to flying prowess, able to reach incredible heights.

20483_stats.png

Mega Charizard Y's most notable boosts are to its Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense, but it also receives a boost to its Attack.

HP: 78
Attack: 104
Defense: 78
Sp. Attack: 159
Sp. Defense: 115
Speed: 100

20479_locations.png

58292_Dream_Charizardite_Y_Sprite.png

Mega Stone:
Charizardite Y
X/Y: Given by Professor Sycamore in Lumiose City (if Charmander chosen as Starter) or purchased from Vernal Avenue's Stone Emporium (if Charmander not chosen as Starter). Mega Stone is exclusive to Pokémon Y.
OR/AS: Scorched Slab (Following Primal Kyogre/Groudon narrative).

20476_evolution.png

Mega-Evolves from Charizard

20472_artwork.png

Mega Charizard.png
20482_screenshots.png

Mega_Charizard_Screenshot_2.png
Mega_Charizard_Screenshot_3.png
Mega_Charizard_Screenshot_4.png
Mega_Charizard_Screenshot_1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
With Drought, he becomes pretty dangerous with Solarbeam and standard fire attacks. Give it a quick claw and a lot of water type Pokemon are pretty much... *slips on shades* sunk. (YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH *guitar riff in the background)

Sorry about that, but I really do like this guy. I do wish that they would have just kept him with two horns though :p But I've always imagined my own personal headcanon Charizard to be sleeker in design. Plus his head looks a bit more like Charmeleon in this stage, which I like somewhat~ ANd we all know that Ash is going to use Mega Charizard in some form or fashion in the anime.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've always loved Charizard but even pushing that bias aside, this is likely my new favourite design out of the currently existing mega forms. They've slimmed Charizard down and added nifty touches that I quite like. I really love the wings in particular. Can't wait to have this guy in-game. ♥

An upgrade to Fire/Dragon definitely would've been nice but having Drought as an ability makes up for it. :)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I have to say I appreciate the more Charmeleon-like head and the fact they removed that godawful pot belly. The arm wingalings are... odd, at best, but overall this is a massive improvement over Charizard. ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I have had a special love for Charizard due to little Charmander being my first ever Pokemon back on Red all those years ago. Mega Charizard looks pretty nice I have to say, I do like the wings and head... and randomly the ridges on its tail. However, as we seemingly now appear to be choosing from the original starter trio(?), my choice is rather awkward as I really want Talonflame but of the original three I have to pick Charizard on merit. Dilemma!

While I really like the Mega-Evo designs for all three Kanto starters, I really don't care for the starters themselves, with the exception of Blastoise. As such, I think I'll just pick Squirtle after getting my Chespin and Torchic, and just keep it in the day-care center so I won't feel TOO bad for not using him.

Yes, yes, I'm completely behind because I didn't even realize they gave this thing Drought. If weather has anywhere near the impact as it did in Gen V, we may actually get to see Mega Charizard in OU. Won't the fanboys be happy about that. The sleek design is pretty appealing I must admit. As in the case of Mega Blastoise, I wish Mega Charizard also had a taller Pokedex listing. But alas, who really pays attention to those anyway?

Seeing a mega evolution of charizard is a big step. What would've made it even better was if he/she became a flying/dragon. The tables would've turned a d especially with drought, charizard would be a beast!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
There are FAR too many Flying/Dragons out there, and that would honestly be missing the entire frelling point of Charizard as a fire-starter.

Anyway, Drought + Fire Moves + STAB is SIGNIFICANTLY better than just Drought + Fire Moves, and now that Fairy Types are a thing Dragons have been rather nerfed anyway. <<; I for one am glad they didn't stick a pointless Dragon type on Charizard. Would have only ruined it in the long run.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Anyway, Drought + Fire Moves + STAB is SIGNIFICANTLY better than just Drought + Fire Moves, and now that Fairy Types are a thing Dragons have been rather nerfed anyway. <<; I for one am glad they didn't stick a pointless Dragon type on Charizard. Would have only ruined it in the long run.

While I do agree with Stel's point, the whole problem with Charizard and the lack of a dragon type is the things design. Charizard has always looked and felt like a dragon to most people and now with the mega evolution they've gone and made it even more dragon looking yet still haven't actually made it one.

It works in our favour all things considered, sure, but still I'd have liked to seen them change the things type to Fire/Dragon and considering we know that when Pokémon Mega Evolve they can change types, it's a tad disappointing to see that they've left the one Pokémon that's wanted to be a type it isn't alone.

All that aside though I have to say I love Mega Charizard's design. Charizard has always been my favourite line of the Kanto starters, so I'm really pleased with what they've done with it. I can't wait to get hold of a Charmander and take it around Kalos. :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I agree with Stel, I think they'll be leaving dual-types alone as far as typing goes and just potentially give a secondary typing to single-typed Pokemon. Same with old Pokemon gaining the Fairy-Type, I doubt they'll alter any Pokemon's secondary typing and replace it.

Few days late to the topic, but anyway >>;

I rather like that Charizard didn't get the dragon typing, as much as people have always seen it as a dragon and wished it to be so, there's no point in hoping that they're gonna go around giving things completely different typings than what they've already been given. Especially considering that the mega-evolutions aren't permanent and the Pokemon are reverted to their original state, there wouldn't be much point in changing Charizard's typing from flying to dragon just to have it revert anyway. At least, I wouldn't think so.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
@limitededition not really; stealth rock takes away a good chunk of its HP, and its base speed is nothing to really brag about, too. Sure it has sky-high special attack, but a good rock, water, or electric move to the face will still hurt quite a bit; I've taken down so many of these things with my Jolteon, and pretty much any faster Pokemon with a decent super effective move (like Greninja, too) will be able to put Charizard Y in its place.

Although I thought it was terribly unfair that Charizard got 2 mega evolutions and Blastoise and Venusaur only got 1 each (I'm a Venusaur fan, Charizard does not appeal to me at all :/ ), this one is my favourite of Charizard's megas. I like the wings on it and the overall body shape, it looks sleeker and cooler than normal Charizard. I think the wings on Mega Charizard X look silly, and the spikes on it's shoulders, so yeah this one is my favourite by far. Not as cool as Mega Venusuar though >:D